What makes Basallo so untouchable?

CP0861

I know he's been mentioned repeatedly as untouchable and he's very highly regarded. I get all that.

But why exactly?

I know he's still a little young for AA, but do his numbers in the minors thus far scream untouchable?

He's a big kid - is he elite defensively behind the plate? Is he expected to put up Frank Thomas type numbers some day?

Just thinking out loud...don't kill me. But with Adley locked up for 3 years beyond this year and with Mayo looking like a nice, studly 1b option (at least imo), along with the other young bats that we have, where exactly does he fit in the next year or two?

Also, we literally have no rotation next year. GRod (the #3 to start 2024) becomes the ace with who behind him?

If Basallo is a piece that gets the Orioles an ace with years of control, how do they say no?

Edited by CP0861
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CP0861 said:

I know he's been mentioned repeatedly as untouchable and he's very highly regarded. I get all that.

But why exactly?

I know he's still a little young for AA, but do his numbers in the minors thus far scream untouchable?

He's a big kid - is he elite defensively behind the plate? Is he expected to put up Frank Thomas type numbers some day?

Just thinking out loud...don't kill me. But with Adley locked up for 3 years beyond this year and with Mayo looking like a nice, studly 1b option (at least imo), along with the other young bats that we have, where exactly does he fit in the next year or two?

Also, we literally have no rotation next year. The current #3 becomes the ace with who behind him?

If Basallo is a piece that gets the Orioles an ace with years of control, how do they say no?

Even taking out how impressive he's been especially considering his aga in each level, there really doesn't seem to be a pitcher available that would justify trading him. 

The team at the ML level will be successful because of players like him rather than big free agent deals.

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Even taking out how impressive he's been especially considering his aga in each level, there really doesn't seem to be a pitcher available that would justify trading him. 

The team at the ML level will be successful because of players like him rather than big free agent deals.

Grow the bats, buy (or trade for) the arms.

11 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

But why exactly?

Also, we literally have no rotation next year. GRod (the #3 to start 2024) becomes the ace with who behind him?

He's not just a "little young" for AA, he's very young for AA and especially for the fact he made it to AA last year.  He has great offensive numbers, elite power, and still has much more offensive upside.  In addition, he has a great arm and most scouting reports think he can stick at a premium position.  This makes him an elite prospect.  Whether or not he's untouchable....well, the only opinion that matters in that respect is Elias'...

Personally, I'd have to get back a #2 or #3 starter with more than one year team control to trade him.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

A little young? He’s like 3 or 4 years younger than the average AA player.

He has  immense power, high end exit velo and other statcast type numbers, can stay at C (maybe not full time), cannon arm behind the plate, controllable talent that is likely easy to extend and did we mention his age?

Would you trade him for the right piece (not Crochet)? And is the thought behind him being "untouchable" because even with new ownership there is no thought to extending AR, therefore they need to hang onto SB because eventually they'll need another catcher from the system? So many questions.

1 minute ago, Otter said:

He's not just a "little young" for AA, he's very young for AA and especially for the fact he made it to AA last year.  He has great offensive numbers, elite power, and still has much more offensive upside.  In addition, he has a great arm and most scouting reports think he can stick at a premium position.  This makes him an elite prospect.  Whether or not he's untouchable....well, the only opinion that matters in that respect is Elias'...

Personally, I'd have to get back a #2 or #3 starter with more than one year team control to trade him.  

Like Crochet? 

19 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

But why exactly?

Also, we literally have no rotation next year. The current #3 becomes the ace with who behind him?

Basallo is 19, so not "a little young for AA," but rather three+ years younger than the average AA player.  His defense is cause for concern, though he does have a strong arm.  He may wind up backing up Adley at catcher if his defense can improve, but even if not, he'll slide to 1B/DH.  He's had elite numbers throughout his brief career and could be a great hitter in the majors at some point in the future.  I agree with you that we absolutely must add a playoff-caliber starter (or even two starters in total after this season) but whether Elias will give up a great talent like Basallo remains to be seen.

Edited by Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Would you trade him for the right piece (not Crochet)? And is the thought behind him being "untouchable" because even with new ownership there is no thought to extending AR, therefore they need to hang onto SB because eventually they'll need another catcher from the system? So many questions.

Adley has nothing to do with it.  I love the roster advantage of having Basallo as the back up.

No one is untouchable..just don’t see any player that is or could be on the market that I would trade him for.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

If I’m giving up any of the big 3 it would be for a pitcher on a HOF track like Sale was during Red Sox trade. Someone like Kirby or Gilbert would have me pause and think about it. Crochet is too new and already has one TJ. We are the perfect matches for the Mariners. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Otter said:

A #2 or #3 starter with a couple years of control for Basallo? You may well be trading someone like Carlos Delgado for two years of a pretty good starter. It would take more than that for me.

• Upvote 2