What makes Basallo so untouchable?

CP0861

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Where are you getting your Miller stats? I’m seeing 3.88 ERA with 1.05 WHIP. Which would make him arguably our second best pitcher.

Yeah, I meant to say he's struggled in the last month. His overall ERA is still 3.88. He wouldn't be better than Rodriguez. They may have arms in the minors but I doubt they are trading anyone from the rotation, pitching is what is going to keep them in the playoff hunt. I have no idea what their pitching prospects look like.

1 minute ago, Otter said:

Not off the top of my head.  You don't think an established #2 ML starting pitcher with 2+ years control is worth a top 20 prospect?  I'm not saying I'd definitely do that (it would depend on the pitcher), but I'd certainly consider it.  We have a huge dropoff in talent after our top prospects, so that really limits the quality of pitching we get back if we don't trade any top prospects.  By no means do I want to trade Basallo, it's just hard for me to see a scenario where we can get impact pitching without trading one of our top guys.  I don't think Norby, Beavers, DeLeon, etc. get us someone who moves the needle that much.

First of all, you are changing what you said. You specifically said a #3 as well. Over the last 2 calendar years, Kremer has essentially been a #3. You want to trade Basallo for Kremer?

As for a #2….it depends on a ton of factors but for only 2 years of control, I don’t see it. That’s just not enough.

Just now, Malike said:

Yeah, I meant to say he's struggled in the last month. His overall ERA is still 3.88. He wouldn't be better than Rodriguez. They may have arms in the minors but I doubt they are trading anyone from the rotation, pitching is what is going to keep them in the playoff hunt. I have no idea what their pitching prospects look like.

I think if someone like Santander was included with a big prospect they would have to think about it.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How does that work?  Does he just refuse to pitch?  That would go over well.

If I were an MLB pitcher and a young one with immense talent, I wouldn't let an org ruin my arm coming back from injury. He's a reliever who is starting his first year, I don't think it would be outlandish for him and his agent to have said to the CWS, sure, I'll start this year. I'm not throwing 200 innings.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

If they get Robert, I would bet on Miller or Woo being in the deal.  Possible Chicago takes Hancock instead but I doubt it.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is a lot wrong with what you are saying but you need to consider that he missed most of ST and April was essentially his ST, so it has hurt his overall numbers but he has been on a tear since then.

Sheesh. I literally posted his actual 2024 stats. If you're going to make a claim, back it up. What exactly was wrong? You've posted nothing but opinions in every response.

As I said in the OP, "But why exactly?"

So again, what exactly was wrong?

"but he has been on a tear since then"

He's 12-51 in the last 14-15 games with a single dinger. That's a whopping .235.

Where's the tear?

Edited by CP0861

1 minute ago, Otter said:

I love Basallo, but he's got a ways to go to get to Carlos Delgado.  I love that comp for him, but he still has to move up a couple levels and keep up the production.  Taking off the orange colored glasses and looking at it impartially, an established MLB #2 or #3 starter (who has already proven his worth at the ML level) is a very reasonable return for a top 20 prospect.

Many or most of the worst trades of all time are of the form: Highly regarded youngster for pretty decent guy we have to have right now or the world will end!

Like Bagwell for Larry Anderson. Anderson pitched 25 innings for the Red Sox, Bagwell is in the Hall. 

Mike Boddicker for Brady isn't quite so lopsided, but the Sox got 2.5 pretty good seasons out of Boddicker and the O's got many highly productive years out of Brady. That's probably the kind of trade you'd get for Basallo for a pitcher.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

It appears it's more of a Crochet thing.

The report also suggests any team that trades for him might have to negotiate an extension to get Crochet to agree to lift a workload limitation in the second half of the season.

Yup, so another reason to move on from the idea. Mainly, though, I'd say it's because of the WSox unrealistic expected return. I'm sure Crochet could be convinced with a championship possibility. 

I'm not surprised players (and/or their agents) are now determining factors like pitch limits, MLB has basically been spinning that for years, yet pitchers rarely throw over 100 pitches and there's more injuries than ever before.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they get Robert, I would bet on Miller or Woo being in the deal.  Possible Chicago takes Hancock instead but I doubt it.

It's possible, like half of their top 30 are pitchers so they probably have some decent arms in the minors.

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

It appears it's more of a Crochet thing.

The report also suggests any team that trades for him might have to negotiate an extension to get Crochet to agree to lift a workload limitation in the second half of the season.

Hader had those similar requests as a bullpen guy for awhile waiting for a long tear deal he had a lot of stipulations on how often and how much he could be used unless they were going to sign him to long term deal.  He never got that deal until he hit free agency.  

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yup, so another reason to move on from the idea. Mainly, though, I'd say it's because of the WSox unrealistic expected return. I'm sure Crochet could be convinced with a championship possibility. 

I'm not surprised players (and/or their agents) are now determining factors like pitch limits, MLB has basically been spinning that for years, yet pitchers rarely throw over 100 pitches and there's more injuries than ever before.

If I were Crochet and had a really bright future and was throwing at a Cy Young level after not pitching for 2 years you'd have to pay me a lot of money if you wanted me to possibly ruin my arm this year for you.

Basallo has an insanely high ceiling.  It's also true that we need a high-ceiling young catcher less than a lot of other teams do.  So there is what economists call "scope for trade" here.   I would be okay trading him for Skubal.  It's hard for me to imagine anyone else potentially on the market who I would trade him for.  

• Upvote 1