Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Sports Guy

Skubal trade  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

24 minutes ago, joelala said:

Eh that’s also possibly true. But the risk would be spread over multiple, as we’ve seen, volatile assets. 

Well, what are you going to add in the offseason and right now that isn’t the equivalent or even more than what I’m suggesting here and will you be obtaining an ace level guy in the process?

Nah. I mean, if that was the deal that went down I wouldn’t be mad but at the same time his injury history is concerning. Probably hits FA and we don’t resign him either.   

Like I said, I wouldn’t hate it. I’d be alright with it. But the Tigers are ass in an ass division, they should probably trade him and hope that they can build around Greene. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Man… I think I pull the trigger on that.   Doesn’t cost any of the top 3.    You could replace RMs bat with Mayo.    Losing Kjerstad sucks but you instantly have the best rotation in the majors for this years playoffs AND another arm to pair with Grayson for next year once Burns walks      

Now,  would they do this?   They have to strongly consider it… maybe a slight tweak, but I think it’s in the ballpark.   

Like I said, I don’t think Detroit does this but I think they would have to really consider it.

I think that’s a very tough package to turn down but ultimately, I think they would want a better piece leading off the package. 

I answered yes mostly because I’d rather have Skubal than the other poll target, Crochet. But I don’t think I could be a GM that’s for sure. Making decisions like these IRL must be agonizing. That’s so much talent and control to give up. I might never actually make a trade LOL. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I answered yes mostly because I’d rather have Skubal than the other poll target, Crochet. But I don’t think I could be a GM that’s for sure. Making decisions like these IRL must be agonizing. That’s so much talent and control to give up. I might never actually make a trade LOL. 

If you are the Orioles and have done a great job with drafting and developing and your intl players are starting to bear some fruit, does it bother you to lose Bradfield or McDermott?

Thats not to say they aren’t good prospects..I line both and have said I’m penciling McDermott into the rotation next year.  The other side to that is that these aren’t can’t miss elite prospects either, so they can be replaced.

Are the Tigers going to give up on Torkelson? Seems like Mounty wouldn't be the ML guy they'd want. As it is now we really don't have a long term option at 1B other than Mounty himself anyway. When 2027 rolls around that dust will have settled. Maybe Mayo?

If I were to guess the player the Tigers would target, it'd be Westburg. But I think he has entrenched himself to the point he's not going anywhere. Perhaps Kjerstad/McDermott/Norby/Bradfield would get it done? That may seem light, but it is 2 guys in the top 100 and 2 guys that are fringe top 100.

Bradfield presents the same problem though. I think the Orioles really view Cowser as the long term LF, to eventually replace Hays. Mullins probably isn't getting an extension. CF is still mostly a mystery long term without Bradfield.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If you are the Orioles and have done a great job with drafting and developing and your intl players are starting to bear some fruit, does it bother you to lose Bradfield or McDermott?

Thats not to say they aren’t good prospects..I line both and have said I’m penciling McDermott into the rotation next year.  The other side to that is that these aren’t can’t miss elite prospects either, so they can be replaced.

I think for me this specific deal is harder because of Mountie and Kjerstad. Bradfield I don’t care about one bit honestly, and McD I really don’t have a good feel for, other than he’s one of the very few actual prospects at the upper levels for us (pitching wise). 

Feels like if we traded Mountie it would help free up at bats for Kjerstad, but that won’t matter if they are both in the deal. Yes we have Mayo but depth then becomes an issue a little bit. 

Like I said, glad it’s not my call to make!

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think for me this specific deal is harder because of Mountie and Kjerstad. Bradfield I don’t care about one bit honestly, and McD I really don’t have a good feel for, other than he’s one of the very few actual prospects at the upper levels for us (pitching wise). 

Feels like if we traded Mountie it would help free up at bats for Kjerstad, but that won’t matter if they are both in the deal. Yes we have Mayo but depth then becomes an issue a little bit. 

Like I said, glad it’s not my call to make!

Well depending on other moves, you still may have Stowers and/or Norby and of course Holliday.  

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

We lose Mounty and Kjerstad.   Maybe O’Hearn can fill that void, but I have my concerns.   We also would then be an injury away from a real problem.  I don’t count on Mayo or Holliday right now.  I also think the third starter is overrated.  Generally the teams with the best starters don’t actually win. I think the odds are Suarez or Kremer could win a game 3 or 6    It’s cheaper to add to the pen  I am also higher on Povich than most  

I would bring McDermott up and put him in the pen   See what he can do   Then trade for a power bullpen arm.  

What if Mayo is replacing Mountcastle?

If Detroit is smart they say no. They are in no position to add established MLers at this stage in their rebuild. They need prospects. Mountcastle shouldn't interest them. Substitute Norby and Povich for Mountcastle and they might talk with you. That's a ton to give up but pitching, especially controllable starting pitch, is really expensive at the deadline.