How much faith do you have in Elias to address the needs this month?

How much faith do you have in Elias to address the needs this month?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How much faith do you have in Elias to address the needs this month?

• Total faith. In Elias we trust. He's not going to waste this year of Burnes. We're getting a very good SP and RP, at the least.
    • I feel pretty good about the deadline. Fairly certain he will address the pitching in a meaningful way.
    • Eh, not great? There may not be a lot of sellers and Elias may not give up the pieces it will take. Maybe a deadline akin to 2023.
    • It's gonna be a total botch. Elias misreads the room and can't lock down any meaningful trades, while other teams are aggressive and get deals done.

Honestly,  I don't like any of the options you have.   I guess it depends on what you mean by 'faith'.  I have faith he won't overspend to try to win this year at the expense of the future.  Don't get me wrong,  we do need to improve our pitching, but it depends on the cost and who we are getting.   I highly doubt we trade any of the big 3, Holiday, Mayo or Basallo.  I also don't expect us to trade Cowser, Kjerstad, Povich or McDermott.  I expect he will do the best he can with those below what I just named,  but it won't be a #1 or #2.  I'm closest to the third option I guess,  and I'm actually somewhat ok with that as I don't want to see the big 3 or Kjerstad moved.  

• Upvote 1

Complete faith in ME, even if we do not win the WS this year, which seems to be a complete failure (if not) on this board.

4 TJ surgery’s in less than a year on our most depended upon pitchers (outside of Means to some level).

The Orioles are in first place. Expect similar outcomes for the next few years and it does not involve trading  every prospect after every losing streak.

ME has a good track record for trades. Most recently significant: Burnes for Ortiz and Hall, which was needed. Up next?!

we shall see..

2 hours ago, interloper said:

What's the vibe? 

I disagree with all possible votes, it is slanted. The O’s are stacked and it’s likely they add a piece or two. If this was the Dodgers, we would be hailing the off-season moves and pushing for the next big move.

And the Orioles keep winning, better!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I have faith in Elias but not faith that this market has game changers. 

I would agree. I do think Elias will land an effective reliever, but unless the Orioles make a huge overpay I'm less confident on what they can do to add a starter. They might have to settle for the likes of Yusei Kikuchi who could be decent or this year's Jack Flaherty.

Really could use the Rangers to decide they are sellers at the trade deadline.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's pretty rare that someone isn't disappointed.

Was the Hangout even 100% happy with the Burnes deal?

I was 100% happy even though Ortiz is looking like a 4 WAR player. Although I want Burnes resigned/extended.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Vibe is very high.

New owner that is on the tail end of his honeymoon phase, 1st place in the AL East with similar holes as last year when the team got swept in the playoffs, but actually worse off with the bullpen, but with the Yankees actually great and the ability to spend/trade a ton to pass the O's. Also, say what you will, but Elias whiffed tremendously during the trade deadline last year. There needs to be an atonement there. 

The Yankees are in no way great and are going in the wrong direction. They don’t have more trade capital than us. And I seriously doubt that they will pass us.

They played well over their heads for the first 2 months and have come back to earth and regressed toward their mean.

• Upvote 1

I don’t really like any of the options.  I think a large number of posters (1) overestimate what we could get without trading any of our top four prospects, or (2) have poor judgment about what would be enough of a return to justify parting with any of our four top projects.  I think most likely our transactions will look similar to last year’s, maybe a notch better but not dramatically different.  

• Upvote 4

I expect a slightly better Flaherty-type trade. I can’t imagine Elias gives up anyone of note…highest level prospect would be the oft mentioned Norby/Stowers tandem. Not sure that gets you a real difference maker. 

I reiterate my vote. I don’t actually think Mike will do nothing, but I do think he will do nothing significant, which I think was the actual intent of the question.

I think a far better question would be to ask what is Mike’s goal? This is the third year of success, even less than that if you remember that last May or so we were 10 games under .500.

Maybe he doesn’t care about winning a series this year and is more interested in his pipeline of successful players?

It’s clear he has to trade several players simply because they’re wasting away in the minors, but he certainly hasn’t yet.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really like any of the options.  I think a large number of posters (1) overestimate what we could get without trading any of our top four prospects, or (2) have poor judgment about what would be enough of a return to justify parting with any of our four top projects.  I think most likely our transactions will look similar to last year’s, maybe a notch better but not dramatically different.  

Wouldn't that be option 3? 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

Wouldn't that be option 3? 

For me it’s not really a “faith in Elias” thing.  I won’t be disappointed in Elias if that’s the outcome.  I’ll be disappointed that better outcomes weren’t really available.