Who will pay Burnes $400M this offseason?

psagawa

20 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Seattle has a bunch of very smart people in their front office like we do. They are not “overlooking” anything I’m afraid.

Also, if you look at Adley’s numbers this year and for a good portion of last season, he hit much better while DHing than he did when catching.

Also Cal raliegh, 4.7 WAR, could be argued it would be less than a lateral move for Seattle. Seattle needs help but a top 5 SH catcher they dont, if Adley can even get back to that.

45 minutes ago, wickedsolo said:

The Mets and Yankees are the two teams I've seen mentioned the most if the Orioles don't re-sign him. 

You need stud pitchers to win in this league. Burnes is arguably the best pitcher the Orioles have had in years. Yes, he will be expensive, but until they have some legitimate arm talent in their farm system, I don't see what other options they have. 

Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, Povich, Kremer, and hopefully Suarez to kick off next season. Then when Bradish comes back, you can push Kremer or Suarez into the bullpen. 

Burnes? He does not play for us anymore. Why would you put Kremer in the Pen ?

53 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

I am suggesting that Seattle might "overlook" the down second half because of its desire to have a "an almost local" guy. We can find another catcher. I'm afraid of his bat speed now. I certainly don't want him to DH when he doesn't catch--that really crippled our offense. 

35 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Seattle has a bunch of very smart people in their front office like we do. They are not “overlooking” anything I’m afraid.

Also, if you look at Adley’s numbers this year and for a good portion of last season, he hit much better while DHing than he did when catching.

I don't think there is any way we trade Adley. Also doubt Seattle is interested. However, regarding DH, his DH/C splits mirror his platoon splits and he mostly DH's as RHB when McCann plays C. Be careful not to confuse correlation with causation. This will be interesting to test if/when we have a lefty C option, i.e. Basallo. 

Holliday or Mayo might interest them though. 

I’m not entertaining the Adley trade ideas but I do like Seattle as a trade partner still. I think Luis Castillo is the guy we could get to give them some financial flexibility. JRod’s salary goes up this year and their other arms are very cheap so if we can absorb Castillo’s contract, it would cost us less prospect/trade capital. This is the type of deal I think we make if we can’t sign Burnes. 

It looks like Castillo has about 4/92 to go, forecasting him to get his 4th year from here to vest.    Maybe 3/68, but he hasn't done the job you hope if he misses that vesting option.

His 2024 was bad by his standards.    I think he is the one Seattle trades if they move someone big for Bats, but I don't think Elias will be as strong on him as I have sometimes thought he might be in the past year.

Burnes' suitors - I think David Stearns and Corbin Burnes is one of the most notable GM-player dynamics this winter.     Burnes might feel like Stearns is dead to him, but Scott Boras is probably advising him that isn't smart business.

The Mets have ~$175M coming off payroll.    Cohen's strategy with Verlander and Scherzer wasn't wrong - the players just proved old and weak.    Stearns could go Soto $55M AAV and Burnes $35M AAV and have it barely be half.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't disagree that they have smart people. I'm just suggesting they may take a bit of a gamble. And as far as DHing, I don't want to go into another year where the philosophy is that Adley will bat everyday whether he catches or DH's. HIs numbers at DH this year sucked just like his other numbers. 

6 minutes ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

I'm hoping that the Cubs sign him. His former manager is the Cubs manager. Chicago isn't very far from Milwaukee. Corbin seems to want to play close to home.

HE lives in Arizona, I'm pretty sure.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm sure Burnes would prefer Arizona spring training. 

D-backs, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Rangers all make varying degrees of sense. 

I think the Mets and Red Sox are the most obvious fits, but agree that Corbin would prefer Arizona Spring Training.  Giants could be in play but they may prioritize Snell.  

Arte Moreno doesn’t like to spend big on non-everyday players and Corbin has said playing in the playoffs is important to him.

D-Backs, Dodgers, Cubs, Rangers may need his market to fall for him to be a fit.

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

I think the Mets and Red Sox are the most obvious fits, but agree that Corbin would prefer Arizona Spring Training.  Giants could be in play but they may prioritize Snell.  

Arte Moreno doesn’t like to spend big on non-everyday players and Corbin has said playing in the playoffs is important to him.

D-Backs, Dodgers, Cubs, Rangers may need his market to fall for him to be a fit.

We no longer the little sisters of the poor. I can understand us maybe not outbidding the Dodgers and maybe the Mets for a top FA. But the rest of those teams mentioned? We should be right there with any of them. Our ownership groups pockets go just as deep if not deeper.