Unconventional Thinking: A Quick Sell Off

ScGO's

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I suppose this was my point with the opening post: Elias has to assess on whether the unforeseen pitching losses have put us a year back in the rebuild plan (essentially back on pace as I feel we were year ahead)

I hope they figure it out this season, but if we go into next season with 2 less of Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo and Holliday, I'll be bummed

After the sky hits the earth, I'm going to get the rebound from half court and throw up a shot with time running out and get all net !!! :) Then save the season by making a blockbuster deal with the Yankees.....Since the Yankees are sliding, I'm going to let them retool for 2025 and beyond and trade them Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo,  Holliday,  Povich and McDermott for Judge,  Cole and Homles.....Then extend Santander,  Burns,  Henderson, Rutschman , Westburg ,  Cowser and GRod  

Edited by PsychoBird68
add

On 7/12/2024 at 8:21 PM, ScGO's said:

Here me out

No one imagined losing all these pitchers and now I see all the suggestions about trading our top prospects for MLB arms and I'm having nightmares that were going to pull a Padres and waste the #1 system by making trigger happy trades

Elias (all of us) may have to accept that we just don't have the pitching to be WS contenders, nor can we justify selling off the system too early to try and rush it after the long rebuild 

We also have the problem of having too many position players including blocked prospects, and it's getting counter productive 

I'd rather sell  for some young pitching than buy MLB arms at the cost of our young guns. Do we trade Burnes for a top 100 pitcher prospect? Mountcastle for Woo? Trade Santander, Hays, Kimbrell, Urias, Mateo, Mullins, and O'hearn for controllable pitching pieces?

Let the young guns finish the season. They still might make playoffs. But overall we are better set for 25 and 26 as we cleared veteran road blocks in exchange for the to ng pitching we lack

In the off-season, sign Burnes and tweak the roster as needed, but overall, our young offense is probably set for years, and now we have pitching depth, Burnes, grod, woo, etc

Not saying they SHOULD do this, but if the slide continues, do they consider it?

If we have a “sell off” while vying for first place (instead of adding to try to go all the way), the following things are likely to happen:

1) We do not make the playoffs without Burnes. Pitching is barely passable as is. And then if you take Kimbrel out of the bullpen, the will be a serious drop off. Santander and O’Hearn away from the lineup at the same time, and we don’t make the playoffs.

2) Why would Burnes even consider resigning after you in essence shipped him off during a pennant run and punted the season?

3) What message would this send to Gunnar and Adley? Why would they ever even consider extending with a franchise who would in effect be comfortable with wasting one of their seasons? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the Yankees would have been hot during our July swoon, this thread would be more relevant.

I guess there will be a small sell. Hays is gone. Cedric and Mountcastle probably wondering how the next couple days will go 

I guess it's too late to do this considering that we've already traded prospects for Eflin.  

I would like to see a sell off of malcontents who have lost playing time and who are going through the motions.  Hays was a good start.  Cole Irvin and Ramon Urias need to be next.   

25 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I guess it's too late to do this considering that we've already traded prospects for Eflin.  

I would like to see a sell off of malcontents who have lost playing time and who are going through the motions.  Hays was a good start.  Cole Irvin and Ramon Urias need to be next.   

Is there any reporting anywhere supporting the notion that Irvin and Urias actually are malcontents?

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

We’ve won 2 of 4, and just lost the series 

We'd won 3 of 4 at the time of the post.  Were 6-4 in our last 10.  Reading this board you'd think we were 2-8. Literally the best record in the league and people talking about selling.  Weak sauce. 

13 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

We’ve won 2 of 4, and just lost the series 

I didn't watch the game but it looks like the main reason we lost tonight is because Guerrero is back in beast mode.  No pitcher should be giving him anything to hit right now.

14 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

We'd won 3 of 4 at the time of the post.  Were 6-4 in our last 10.  Reading this board you'd think we were 2-8. Literally the best record in the league and people talking about selling.  Weak sauce. 

I don’t disagree but no denying the inability to work counts, take walks, along with the consistent subpar outings from pitchers like Kremer do not inspire confidence.