Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Norby is 4 years older than Holliday. Who was Norby playing over last year or this year?  Nobody was hoarding. 

Norby had to go in a deal in a deal for SP. Just pretend he went for Eflin if it makes you feel better. 

That’s just asinine 

I hated the trade because I like Stowers and Norby but the front office must have seen something in Rogers they felt they could tweak. I'm willing to give them an off-season in the lab to see if they turn him around. You can't always judge a trade until sometime down the road. For this year though, the trade was abysmal.

50 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That’s just asinine 

Nah, what’s asinine is the amount of assumptions going on. One, where you playing Norby at?  Urias was out OPS’ing him at 3B, and nobody was sitting Holliday after his hot start to his 2nd stint. 

Then you assume that Elias didn’t maximize Norby’s trade value based on your own assumptions of what Norby was worth and that other GMs valued him as much as you. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and I guess you would’ve started Norby in a perfectly placed game by game rotation with Urias and Holliday. Or convinced GMs they didn’t want the prospects they chose and instead wanted Norby. 

Just assuming you are better at marketing than Elias, and that you would’ve known exactly when to start Norby over Urias/Holliday. 

Are you Biff from Back to the Future?  🤣 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

No … I wouldn’t have traded for Rogers. Rogers is an example of a poor target. Elias trying to be too cute, you don’t trade for flawed players hoping to fix them during a pennant race. I’m not saying to trade Holliday. I’m saying Norby was a better player right now for a team with playoff aspirations. Holliday could still be at AAA. 

I think Elias determined that they needed another starting pitcher.  Given the insane costing of pitching, Rogers was a reasonable target.  At the time of the trade, the O's had a healthy Westburg and Urias, thus making Norby nothing more than a utility player.  Stowers is nothing more than a 4th outfielder.  

If Westburg is injured before the trade, Rogers might still be a Marlin.  

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nah, what’s asinine is the amount of assumptions going on. One, where you playing Norby at?  Urias was out OPS’ing him at 3B, and nobody was sitting Holliday after his hot start to his 2nd stint. 

Then you assume that Elias didn’t maximize Norby’s trade value based on your own assumptions of what Norby was worth and that other GMs valued him as much as you. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and I guess you would’ve started Norby in a perfectly placed game by game rotation with Urias and Holliday. Or convinced GMs they didn’t want the prospects they chose and instead wanted Norby. 

Just assuming you are better at marketing than Elias, and that you would’ve known exactly when to start Norby over Urias/Holliday. 

Are you Biff from Back to the Future?  🤣 

They probably would DFA'd Urias if they're being honest 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

That’s just asinine 

Your man crush on Norby aside, he only had one potential role on this team long term and that was a super UTI type guy…but the Os have had a while to evaluate him in the IF and OF and felt his value was better for the team as a trade piece.  

People are judging all of this on a few bad starts and unexpected injuries that would have pushed Stowers and Norby into playing time.

Personally, I would have rather kept Stowers, as I think Kjerstad could be dealt in the offseason. 

OH all 2023/2024 offseason:  Every time there's a hypothetical trade mentioned, we're including Norby/Stowers.  Every single time.

***2024 trade deadline*** 

OH:  OMG, who are we going to get?  Trade Norby/Stowers?  Trade Norby/Stowers!??!?!  Trade Norby/Stowers!!

***Elias Trades Norby/Stowers for Rogers***

OH:  OMG NOOOOOO WE WANTED TO TRADE NORBY STOWERS BUT NOT FOR HIM!!!!!11111

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

OH all 2023/2024 offseason:  Every time there's a hypothetical trade mentioned, we're including Norby/Stowers.  Every single time.

***2024 trade deadline*** 

OH:  OMG, who are we going to get?  Trade Norby/Stowers?  Trade Norby/Stowers!??!?!  Trade Norby/Stowers!!

***Elias Trades Norby/Stowers for Rogers***

OH:  OMG NOOOOOO WE WANTED TO TRADE NORBY STOWERS BUT NOT FOR HIM!!!!!11111

Well yeah the whole point of trading assets is to get something of value in return.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right, but it's too early to tell if this trade is a bust or not.  Early returns aren't good but that's not final.

It's not final, but there's nothing about his numbers or his baseball savant page that indicates some kind of turnaround in order. That Elias targeted this guy at all is baffling. 

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

It's not final, but there's nothing about his numbers or his baseball savant page that indicates some kind of turnaround in order. That Elias targeted this guy at all is baffling. 

But the Rogers of 2024 isn’t the guy the Os traded for.

By that I mean, we already know they want to change things about him. They traded for him because they feel he will become something better. We have to wait for that.

Now, that being said, I think people are way overboard here.

First of all, teams who sold were generally getting far younger prospects. Secondly, we traded 2 very flawed players that had some long term role but maybe not much of one.  The longer you hold onto “old prospects”, the less value they have.

I think the only argument that is worth talking about is did Elias sacrifice now for tomorrow?  IE, could he have gotten a rental that helps more now vs the long term?  Could he have gotten another reliever over a starter? (My preference)

We don’t know the answer to either of those questions.

What we do know is these 2 were “old”, that these 2 were older than I believe every prospect traded was and that we got some of the better players traded at the deadline overall, especially Eflin.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Mateo can't field? What have you been watching the past 3 years?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jorge-mateo-622761?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

An average fielder who occainsionally makes a great play once in awhile like most average fielders. But because 2 years ago he had a great defensive year people think he is better than he actually is. Same with Urias