How many wins in the next 14 games?

Sports Guy

How many wins   

74 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins in the next 14 games?

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

This team just doesnt have the pitching. Burnes has been mostly mediocre for the last 3 starts and may be tiring. Eflin has been excellent, but from there, you dont have any rotation stoppers. Not Kremer, not Povich, nor Suarez. Certainly not Rogers...The Orioles are treading water in the hopes they get Webb, Rodriguez, and Coulombe back.But right now, the Orioles are barely keeping their head above water.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct. Hopefully they make playoffs and have GRod back and get hot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

.500 club at best remainder of year. 

Which puts them in the playoffs which is fine with me.  There have just been too many injuries this year to the pitching while the often injured Yankees team has had almost no injuries to their pitching.  Sometimes it just comes down to who can stay healthy.

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

This team just doesnt have the pitching. Burnes has been mostly mediocre for the last 3 starts and may be tiring. Eflin has been excellent, but from there, you dont have any rotation stoppers. Not Kremer, not Povich, nor Suarez. Certainly not Rogers...The Orioles are treading water in the hopes they get Webb, Rodriguez, and Coulombe back.But right now, the Orioles are barely keeping their head above water.

Burnes isn’t tiring.

Again, you only need 7 pitchers to win in October. 

Not sure how we are “barely” keeping our heads above water. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Burnes isn’t tiring.

Again, you only need 7 pitchers to win in October. 

Not sure how we are “barely” keeping our heads above water. 

We’ve played under .500 ball for two months.  I’d call that barely keeping our heads above water?

How do you know Burnes isn’t tiring?   He’s certainly not been that good the last few times out.  

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ve played under .500 ball for two months.  I’d call that barely keeping our heads above water?

How do you know Burnes isn’t tiring?   He’s certainly not been that good the last few times out.  

He may “be tired” because of his newborns and has his focus not completely on things but it’s highly unlikely he’s tiring..as in his arm is tired or his mechanics are suffering because of that or something along those lines.

He has basically been a 200 IP the last few years and was better in the second half vs the first half last year.

He is just struggling but it’s also some of the stuff I have talked about throughout the year…he’s not as good as his pre AS break ERA indicated. 

We are 1 game out first and in danger of missing the playoffs. I don’t think we are risking drowning anytime soon.

Edited by Sports Guy

Burnes was bad last night but also got very unlucky with a lot of those hits and I don't think he's "tiring". There's no reason why someone of his caliber and track record should be tiring in August.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He may “be tired” because of his newborns and has his focus not completely on things but it’s highly unlikely he’s tiring..as in his arm is tired or his mechanics are suffering because of that or something along those lines.

He has basically been a 200 IP the last few years and was better in the second half vs the first half last year.

He is just struggling but it’s also some of the stuff I have talked about throughout the year…he’s not as good as his pre AS break ERA indicated. 

We are 1 game out first and in danger of missing the playoffs. I don’t think we are risking drowning anytime soon.

You would think Burnes would be laser focused, new baby or no, given his impending free agency. I can’t imagine focus is the issue. Doesn’t mean it’s definitely a ‘tired’ issue, but doesn’t mean it’s not. Either way, if he doesn’t get it together - and soon - we are absolutely toast. 

This is just a mediocre team at this point, got off to a hot start but they’ve been a 500 ish ball club now for the better part of three months. Every time it seems they’ve turned a corner towards a winning streak, they run right into a brick wall instead. Burnes on the mound coming off two nice wins should have been a perfect recipe to get on at least a little roll, and instead we lose despite scoring ten runs. We haven’t won even three straight since the second game after the ASB, and the schedule was not that daunting during that time. This team is exactly what we see - mediocre. 

The good news is, mediocre teams go to the WS quite often, and our playoff spot is not in jeopardy at the moment thanks to that hot start and other teams also struggling a bit.  Which at the end will be all that matters. 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

You would think Burnes would be laser focused, new baby or no, given his impending free agency. I can’t imagine focus is the issue. Doesn’t mean it’s definitely a ‘tired’ issue, but doesn’t mean it’s not. Either way, if he doesn’t get it together - and soon - we are absolutely toast. 

This is just a mediocre team at this point, got off to a hot start but they’ve been a 500 ish ball club now for the better part of three months. Every time it seems they’ve turned a corner towards a winning streak, they run right into a brick wall instead. Burnes on the mound coming off two nice wins should have been a perfect recipe to get on at least a little roll, and instead we lose despite scoring ten runs. We haven’t won even three straight since the second game after the ASB, and the schedule was not that daunting during that time. This team is exactly what we see - mediocre. 

The good news is, mediocre teams go to the WS quite often, and our playoff spot is not in jeopardy at the moment thanks to that hot start and other teams also struggling a bit.  Which at the end will be all that matters. 

I’d love to know who downvoted this and why?  Which part is wrong?  A team with good hitting and bad pitching that has played 500 baseball for three months is the very definition of mediocre!  It’s not mediocre talent in several spots, but it’s a mediocre team right now. Not even sure how that’s an arguable point. 

8 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I’d love to know who downvoted this and why?  Which part is wrong?  A team with good hitting and bad pitching that has played 500 baseball for three months is the very definition of mediocre!  It’s not mediocre talent in several spots, but it’s a mediocre team right now. Not even sure how that’s an arguable point. 

I didn't downvote it.   But 3 months is utter BS..   On June 16 we were 23 games over .500 and had had only one stretch of games all year where we had even played .500 in any 10 game stretch.   We were 20-10 in the month before June 16 which for some reason you think is ".500 baseball".

52 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I didn't downvote it.   But 3 months is utter BS..   On June 16 we were 23 games over .500 and had had only one stretch of games all year where we had even played .500 in any 10 game stretch.   We were 20-10 in the month before June 16 which for some reason you think is ".500 baseball".

35-32 since a W on June 1. That’s close enough to .500 and close enough to 3 months for me. The team is mediocre right now and showing no signs of being able to be more than that given the pitching woes. 

• Upvote 1