Soto up, Mayo down

deward

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't look at either one. 

???

I understand you not wanting the player that Jimenez was before he arrived in Charm City. But I don't see any legit criticism for who has been since he put on an Oriole uniform.

Yes this could all be a mirage and he could go back to extreme sucktitude. But as of now, he's actually helping the team. The man has hit over .400 thus far.

2 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I will take the former if you are asking me which stat line I'd rather have for the last 25 at bats, but I'll take the latter for the next 100 at bats since thankfully there is more information at our disposal besides the newspaper's box scores from the last two weeks

But those things "the newspaper box scores" as you call them actually have mattered in the real games.

Maybe he is/has been lucky and it will not continue. But will he is hot/lucky I don't see the harm in riding the hot/lucky hand.

If he starts to stink (like he had done with the CHISOX this season) then you can always get rid of him. 

If you buy into the notion that the gap from AAA to MLB is wider than ever before, like I do, then you expect or should I say are not surprised when even the most supremely talented of young players struggle when making the jump. Nothing about Mayo's initial struggles should be surprising anyone. And IMO there is nothing wrong with allowing him to go back down to AAA and make the adjustments that the team has recommended (hitting offspeed pitches, slowing down/not getting sped up, having an approach that is up the middle/right center, AND the DEFENSE). IMO his defense ALONE was enough to be back down, almost every play involving him (even the most routine of plays) was an adventure.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe that he will be an awesome MLB player, especially a hitter. But I also don't see the harm in allowing players (who while lesser talented players) but are more productive currently getting the playing time while he still is figuring things out.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

But those things "the newspaper box scores" as you call them actually have mattered in the real games.

Maybe he is/has been lucky and it will not continue. But will he is hot/lucky I don't see the harm in riding the hot/lucky hand.

If he starts to stink (like he had done with the CHISOX this season) then you can always get rid of him. 

If you buy into the notion that the gap from AAA to MLB is wider than ever before, like I do, then you expect or should I say are not surprised when even the most supremely talented of young players struggle when making the jump. Nothing about Mayo's initial struggles should be surprising anyone. And IMO there is nothing wrong with allowing him to go back down to AAA and make the adjustments that the team has recommended (hitting offspeed pitches, slowing down/not getting sped up, having an approach that is up the middle/right center, AND the DEFENSE). IMO his defense ALONE was enough to be back down, almost every play involving him (even the most routine of plays) was an adventure.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe that he will be an awesome MLB player, especially a hitter. But I also don't see the harm in allowing players (who while lesser talented players) but are more productive currently getting the playing time while he still is figuring things out.

I think Coby Mayo winds up at first base.Maybe they work more with him at that position when he plays again in Norfolk. Its kind of disappointing, especially because he had just moved out of his Norfolk apartment this week because he didn't want to pay rent when he wasnt using the Norfolk apartment.I guess he'll see off theres still a vacancy and move back in. Its a weird life to be a pro baseball player.

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

Mostly interested in what his defense looks like and if he brings speed off the bench. I just like getting a look at guys I haven't really seen before. I doubt he plays much though. 

He was middling in sprint speed a few years ago. Chances are he’s not faster.

Soto is probably the UtI guy next year. Mateo and Urias gone.  

We don’t need to see him right now for that. There’s nothing about his game that cries out “we must see it!!”

You are asking a rookie who like any young player no matter how talented to hit well enough to play a position he would not be considered to be average at in a pennant race.

This was never a full time fit on a playoff contender.  

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

???

I understand you not wanting the player that Jimenez was before he arrived in Charm City. But I don't see any legit criticism for who has been since he put on an Oriole uniform.

Yes this could all be a mirage and he could go back to extreme sucktitude. But as of now, he's actually helping the team. The man has hit over .400 thus far.

I didn't say I didn't want Eloy (or that I do want Mayo), I just wouldn't use two weeks of stats to make the decision on either one. 

Mayo's usage his more about keeping his ROY eligibility for next year than his performance. Eloy is a RHB and fills a need. I don't expect him to be good but it would be great if he surprises us.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You are asking a rookie who like any young player no matter how talented to hit well enough to play a position he would not be considered to be average at in a pennant race.

This was never a full time fit on a playoff contender.  

Doesn’t need to be full time…3-4 times a week, lifted for defense and pinch hit is perfectly fine for him to be here.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No it wasn’t. That’s absurd. The glove was subpar when they called him up. They knew that. He has been with the org his whole career, so using that as an excuse is complete bs especially when the incumbent isn’t that good with the glove either.

Urias has slipped defensively, but he’s far superior to Mayo at this stage IMO.

And sure, they knew his glove was subpar when they called him up.  But he didn’t hit well enough to justify his lack of a good glove.   And sure, we all expect that if you give him 50-100 PA, eventually he’ll start to hit.   But it’s hard to wait for that when the glove is bad.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Urias has slipped defensively, but he’s far superior to Mayo at this stage IMO.

And sure, they knew his glove was subpar when they called him up.  But he didn’t hit well enough to justify his lack of a good glove.   And sure, we all expect that if you give him 50-100 PA, eventually he’ll start to hit.   But it’s hard to wait for that when the glove is bad.   

Right..so the judgement is off of 20 at bats..which goes back to my point..that’s stupid.  It’s non sensical.

16 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think Coby Mayo winds up at first base.Maybe they work more with him at that position when he plays again in Norfolk. Its kind of disappointing, especially because he had just moved out of his Norfolk apartment this week because he didn't want to pay rent when he wasnt using the Norfolk apartment.I guess he'll see off theres still a vacancy and move back in. Its a weird life to be a pro baseball player.

Since it will hopefully be only temporary, does the team pay for a hotel room for him while he's back in Norfolk?

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't have that much of a problem with the option as Mayo was clearly not a major league ready 3B and we don't want O'Hearn in the OF too much. 

But I liked Mayo's chances rest of season with the bat than Jimenez's. Definitely thought Mayo could put up better than an 89 wRC+ with a real sample size. 

1 minute ago, rm5678 said:

Since it will hopefully be only temporary, does the team pay for a hotel room for him while he's back in Norfolk?

He made 4K a day when he was in the majors, I think he can pay for a hotel room.

He chose to let the apartment go, he could have, I don't know, offered it to one of the other players in Norfolk to use?

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..so the judgement is off of 20 at bats..which goes back to my point..that’s stupid.  It’s non sensical.

It’s not “judgment” on the player’s future.  It’s an assessment of what he’s likely to do in the near term.  

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't think the move was a reaction to his performance. It did not seem like they were really looking to evaluate him, otherwise he would have played more. I think they just saw an opportunity to give him a taste of the bigs and he got his opportunity. He could have hit better and the result would likely have been the same. He may be back anyway when rosters expand and he still has ROY eligibility.