8/22 vs HOUSTON

eddie83

Gerrit Cole gave up no runs in 6 IP tonight as Yankees shutout Cleveland.  Cole is an ace Burns is not that pitcher yet.   It’s not his fault but can’t keep Hyde - team energy /vibe is so bad and this is all mental.   

2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Gerrit Cole gave up no runs in 6 IP tonight as Yankees shutout Cleveland.  Cole is an ace Burns is not that pitcher yet.   It’s not his fault but can’t keep Hyde - team energy /vibe is so bad and this is all mental.   

Cole got pretty roughed up in June and July in a few starts.  Burnes had been nails until only recently.

I'm hopeful Burnes is still just adjusting to being a dad.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Cole got pretty roughed up in June and July in a few starts.  Burnes had been nails until only recently.

Cole was coming off an injury. Burnes, well, he doesn’t have an excuse.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

lol I’m not trying to be a jerk but I have 2 young boys. It was easier at first then it is a couple of years in. His career might really go off the rails if that is the issue.

4 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

They look completely lifeless. Even when they win by a few runs (like in NY and against Boston) it never feels safe and it seems like everyone is just waiting for something bad to happen. Something needs to be shaken up because this is more than just them not playing well or slumping. It’s clearly mental.

I'm not sure it's mental. It could be physical, in the worst sense of the term. Getting ready for a 162 game marathon season requires a lot, and I mean a lot of preparation.

The off-season should be the opposite of a "break" for MLB players. They get paid big bucks; those $$$$$$$ are not there so they can sit on their butts like fans during the off-season and play video games and make babies.

They get paid the big bucks because they should be spending every single day of the off-season preparing themselves to have the endurance to withstand the long and difficult regular season, and still have something left in the tank for the postseason.

There needs to be an independent investigation into the organization and what they were doing over the off-season. I don't think it's mental. I think Adley Rutschman, Cedric Mullins, Ryan Mountcastle, Craig Kimbrel, and most of the other guys on this team spent way too much time goofing off during the off-season, and not nearly enough time preparing themselves.

There is a lot of evidence for it. Look how well they used their talents and raw skill to achieve amazing heights in the first half. Don't get me wrong; these guys are strong. They can hit a baseball a long way, and our pitchers can throw the ball really hard. But they don't have the conditioning that the team used to emphasize that gives you physical endurance.

This article is a great read. It should be required reading for all the players, coaches and staff. https://thebaltimorewire.com/2014/03/17/baltimore-orioles-brady-anderson-conditioning-component/

21 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Be nice if we could call up McDermott or Johnson to see how they develop. Oh wait...

Hmmm one is on the IL, and the other was traded? Am I mistaken or were you being sarcastic?

Either way, I feel your pain

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The other part ain’t happening. They don’t have the roster any longer. Acceptance helps.

I’ll accept it when the season is over. I’ve watched enough baseball to know that there is plenty of time for things to change.

1 minute ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

lol I’m not trying to be a jerk but I have 2 young boys. It was easier at first then it is a couple of years in. His career might really go off the rails if that is the issue.

No offense taken and you're not being a jerk.  But he's got new twins!  Still, maybe not the best excuse but maybe a reason nonetheless.

28 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I have never heard a real version of that caricature of a Baltimore accent. Until I tuned into 104.3 this week. They have a DJ/talk host that sounds just like that. If he says and thing close to Orioles, it wounds like Oreos.

Siri loves Oreos

14 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

The most annoying thing is, we'll have one game, maybe two games, where we get numerous timely hits in a row. Homers, yes, but also knocking them in from second and third. Bases clearing doubles and triples. The impact kind of hits that make you cheer and go "wow!"

People will remember those games and cite them as examples of the O's doing fine for like 3-4 weeks, even though they do basically nothing for 5 out of 7 games a week.

I don’t remember very many bases clearing doubles or triples