9/2 Orioles vs White Sox (Burnes Get Right or Continue to Flounder Game)

LookitsPuck

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

The question is:   if you optimize all your guys in the minors with the same approach, an approach which leads to more HRs and more strikeouts, from the day they join the system, what are the consequences:

1) You probably have a team that hits a lot of HRs, which is good.   The aggregate OPS of your team will be optimized as much as possible.  Unquestionably a good thing.

But:

2) Does it also create hi9tters who haven't learned how to adjust to the situation, shorten their swing when it is called for, against top flight pitching?

3) Does it give opposing pitchers a blueprint of how to attack your team because they all have the same approach?

2- There is never a situation for the offense where a big dong is a bad thing.  If you can barrel the ball and elevate it you will be able to hit sac flies.  Players shouldn't be bunting anyway.  I'd honestly rather have my guys swing away with 2 strikes instead of trying to poke at the ball and make contact.  I think over the course of a season you will get more value.

3- The same approach that 90% of the league is using?  Sure.  My team's offensive brain trust should be able to deal with that gameplanning, that's why they are there.

6 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

It's not about adjusting to hit for less power.   You should not be swinging for a home run in the first place.   You should be swinging to hit a hard line drive by keeping your bat somewhat level through the strike zone.  Home runs come more by hitting the lower half of the ball while hitting it hard,  than by trying to hit a home run. 

Our hitting coaches want batters to put the ball in the air.  Even Eloy said as much in the pregame interview, and it irked me beyond words because he’s known for his ability to hit for average, not power, and now they’ll cure him of both.