Clubhouse issues?

Sports Guy

35 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

You mean the team with a 238 million dollar payroll that has won a whole four games more than the Orioles? Come on. It's a lot easier to handle injuries when you've got a quarter of a billion dollars invested in payroll.  

Who have the Dodgers thrown money at to fix their injuries? Flaherty was traded for. Payroll is irrelevant when its their big offseason pitching acquisitions who are the ones getting hurt 

Edited by Orioles0615

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The incessant emphasis on payroll is not productive and yes, comes off to me as whining.  Our wins mean more because the payroll is lower.  Our ability to overcome injuries is more impressive because our payroll is lower.    You can't expect us to win win other teams spend more.  Every year it's a constant refrain of one of more of these tropes.

Boohoo the game isn't fair.  It wouldn't be fair with a salary cap.  You think the Lakers and the Wizards have the same ability to lure free agents? 

Y'all act like the Orioles payroll is somehow an anomaly and not the norm for other teams that manage to stay competitive. 

I mentioned something one time that was germane to the conversation and you decided to get on your soap box about me?

Comparing the Dodgers and Orioles as having injuries doesn't really tell the whole story. You can absolutely mask a lot of issues at twice the payroll.  I don't care about justifying about what win equals more...that's all you.

Now I will say that Dodgers have done a magnificent job of being one of the best teams in baseball and drafted well later in the draft.

The not being competitive at a lower payroll was a popular excuse when the O's were terrible. In context this team has done well this season in spite of the injuries. My expectations were high coming into the season so it's been a bit of  a letdown for me. 

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

I mentioned something one time that was germane to the conversation and you decided to get on your soap box about me?

Comparing the Dodgers and Orioles as having injuries doesn't really tell the whole story. You can absolutely mask a lot of issues at twice the payroll.  I don't care about justifying about what win equals more...that's all you.

Now I will say that Dodgers have done a magnificent job of being one of the best teams in baseball and drafted well later in the draft.

The not being competitive at a lower payroll was a popular excuse when the O's were terrible. In context this team has done well this season in spite of the injuries. My expectations were high coming into the season so it's been a bit of  a letdown for me. 

Oh no, it's not just you, sorry if you got that idea.

It's an omnipresent undercurrent amongst the fandom as a whole.

10 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Who have the Dodgers thrown money at to fix their injuries? Flaherty was traded for. Payroll is irrelevant when its their big offseason pitching acquisitions who are the ones getting hurt 

The payroll is certainly relevant-- it afforded them the ability to sign several of the best players in the game to long contracts at free agent prices. Which helps their team stay elite despite injuries elsewhere. Even if the expenses don't directly "fix" the injuries.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh no, it's not just you, sorry if you got that idea.

It's an omnipresent undercurrent amongst the fandom as a whole.

Really when you take the emotions of being a fan out of the equation this team has done pretty well this season. It could be better if some of the guys that were being counted on were performing better, but that's another topic. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The payroll is certainly relevant-- it afforded them the ability to sign several of the best players in the game to long contracts at free agent prices. Which helps their team stay elite despite injuries elsewhere. Even if the expenses don't directly "fix" the injuries.

Ohtani didn't go to the Dodgers because they could pay more.

He went there because they are the Dodgers.

You know, just like a NBA player isn't going to Washington if the Lakers or the Heat are interested.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ohtani didn't go to the Dodgers because they could pay more.

He went there because they are the Dodgers.

You know, just like a NBA player isn't going to Washington if the Lakers or the Heat are interested.

That helped them land him over the other teams who could afford the expense. 

But they still have to pay up, at a level many teams can't.

6 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

That’s a fair question, and of course no one can know. But these guys aren’t stupid. They know something is wrong, and it goes beyond the players. We have the replacement level replacements, who are doing their best because they make $6,000 per day and want to keep it up, but they are replacement level for a reason.

But regulars who are playing terrible know they are playing terrible, and they know the other guys are awful and they’re all thinking “oh &#$, not again.” Of course they support each other, but it’s impossible not to be frustrated. And it happens over and over and over again. Every single game bonehead plays abound.

I think they all care, especially when one guy does an outstanding job, and another completely wastes it.

It’s impossible for that to not build up into tremendous frustration, especially when the players may think it’s improper for them to call each other out, so they have to suck it up.

So, you are correct, we have no idea what goes on in there. But it would be ridiculous to think there isn’t any friction that needs to be dealt with. And dealing with it is Hyde’s job.

As an aside, that question just show how stupid most baseball reporters are. As @clapdiddy mentioned, what does the question even mean? Kremer’s answer was fine, but a better response would have been” what do you mean by that?”

You just don’t like Hyde and want your pound of flesh. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Payroll is not irrelevant, at all. Again, they have won four more games with like 2.3 times the payroll and maybe the best player since Babe Ruth. Payroll provides much better depth and they can clearly take on even more salary when needed. Elias is still working with a relatively tiny budget. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The incessant emphasis on payroll is not productive and yes, comes off to me as whining.  Our wins mean more because the payroll is lower.  Our ability to overcome injuries is more impressive because our payroll is lower.    You can't expect us to win win other teams spend more.  Every year it's a constant refrain of one of more of these tropes.

Boohoo the game isn't fair.  It wouldn't be fair with a salary cap.  You think the Lakers and the Wizards have the same ability to lure free agents? 

Y'all act like the Orioles payroll is somehow an anomaly and not the norm for other teams that manage to stay competitive. 

Stay competitive? Have you looked at the Orioles record? You act like they are in last place. They are freaking competitive! 

And you’re totally delusional if you don’t see the difference between the Orioles and Dodgers. You’re also delusional if you think the Orioles are not competitive this year. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Stay competitive? Have you looked at the Orioles record? You act like they are in last place. They are freaking competitive! 

And you’re totally delusional if you don’t see the difference between the Orioles and Dodgers. You’re also delusional if you think the Orioles are not competitive this year. 

What the heck are you talking about?

Where did I say the Orioles were not competitive? 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What the heck are you talking about?

Where did I say the Orioles were not competitive? 

That’s what it seems like you were implying when you said other teams with similar payrolls stay competitive and that’s not excuse. The Orioles have withstood a devastating number of injuries to remain competitive. It’s been ugly, but every time a lot of fans are ready to count them out they win enough to stay in the hunt. 

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

That’s what it seems like you were implying when you said other teams with similar payrolls stay competitive and that’s not excuse. The Orioles have withstood a devastating number of injuries to remain competitive. It’s been ugly, but every time a lot of fans are ready to count them out they win enough to stay in the hunt. 

I implied no such thing.  I was stating that other teams, say the Rays, Brewers, and Guardians, manage the incredible feat of staying competitive with a payroll that is near that of what the Orioles have.

I don't see anyone hear talking about how great a job Cleveland does despite their payroll.  Folks here act like the Orioles are perennially last in spending.  The Rays got hit HARD by injuries last year and that terrible crime and still won 99 games.