How "fired up" are you with this Yankee series?

Roy Firestone

We won't catch them in the division title. We have played poorly for months, and the Yankees have already clinched their post season berth. This is not the series I thought it might be. I'll watch, but a lot of starch has been taken away because , right now, this series is a mismatch.I'll watch, but I won't be invested in this series like I wish I was.

Not that fired up, since the results don't matter that much. I live in NYC and am going to Thursday's game. Disappointed because when I got the tickets, I hoped I'd be seeing something more consequential for the division race. As it is I'll either see the Yankees clinch or, more likely, see a game where both teams are kinda going through the motions already knowing their fate. 

But, I am still paying attention. I think the team with its returned talent (and a fairly weak AL field) has a chance to win some games and series this October. I want them to show some real evidence to that effect this week. 

I'm dreading it, to be honest. The Yanks only need to win 1 to lock up the division. If that happens today, and it's the most likely with Kremer vs. Schmidt, it's going to put even *more* pressure on this team since playoffs is still not an absolute, regardless of probabilities. If the O's Magic Number was 2 and this was a week ago, I'd be fired up. But 6 games to go? Every one of these games until a spot is 100% locked up is going to be anxiety inducing. 

I am not really fired up per se.  I am just hoping that something happens that is different than what we have seen for months.  A late comeback to win the game.  A big inning of 4 runs or more.  Some big hits from Adley or Holliday.  

1 win means we win the season series against everyone in the East for the second year in a row.  That would be great.  And even if we lose, I am hoping that watching the Yankees celebrate in front of them and the fans celebrate around them fires them up.   

It feels like a foregone conclusion that the O’s sneak in with the third wild card spot and then lose the wild card series. So it just doesn’t really matter all that much what happens from here on out. 

Then again, get hot at the right time and this could still be a World Series contender. I have to see some fire in this team before I entertain that thought though.

I wouldn’t say I’m fired up.  I’d like to do enough to (1) win the season series (which only takes one win), (2) clinch a playoff spot (which probably only takes one win, depending what other teams do, and (3) improves our chances of getting the no. 4 seed (which might take a couple of wins, depending how other teams do).   

20 minutes ago, oriole said:

It feels like a foregone conclusion that the O’s sneak in with the third wild card spot and then lose the wild card series. So it just doesn’t really matter all that much what happens from here on out. 

It's a foregone conclusion that they will blow a 4 game lead in the span of 6 games? 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, they're going to the playoffs. I'd like to see the Orioles sweep the series just so we don't have to see the Yankees celebrate the division title in front of us....but overall for the Orioles' hopes for this season, it really doesn't matter that much for the standings. 

That said, I'd love to see the Orioles get clutch hits, hit with runners in scoring position and score a ton of runs. Kremer, Eflin and Burnes as starting in their last games (at least for Eflin and Burnes) before the playoffs so it'll be nice to see them throw well and same with the pen. I'm more interested in seeing the team start to turn things around and show signs they aren't going to just roll over in the playoffs. Ideally, that leads to a series sweep (or at least a series win), but if Brian Baker (who hopefully isn't on the playoff roster) comes in and blows a game that was well played otherwise, I'm not all that concerned. 

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

We won't catch them in the division title. We have played poorly for months, and the Yankees have already clinched their post season berth. This is not the series I thought it might be. I'll watch, but a lot of starch has been taken away because , right now, this series is a mismatch.I'll watch, but I won't be invested in this series like I wish I was.

I’m fired up for sure. We are finally full strength offensively and this stretch of games will be a great way for this team to gel down the stretch. The AL East is still attainable so let’s kick ass from here and see where we land!

Not fired up, per se, but engaged in the ramp-up to playoff baseball.

On one hand, it's like the spring training phase of gearing up for playoffs.

On the other hand, it's like the playoffs have already begun. We're qualified for round 1, which consists of the next 6 games. Even watching the other teams play now is entertaining, as they jostle for entry to the next round.