Adley shares tough health admission

accinfo

5 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Gotta say, in the postseason the past two years this team has played like a 55 win team.  And you know what, I did "worry" about them in the postseason, both years, because they weren't crisp going into either one.  If my team is going to be in the playoffs, I'd prefer that they show up and play quality baseball.  This version is still pretty unwatchable.

55 win teams give 1.5 runs a game? 

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  Just total bs. If he can’t handle that, which is less than previous years, we have a real problem.

They're going to have to move him to 1B much earlier than we want.  That or he needs to drastically change his conditioning/maintenance program.  I hope Basallo is ready soon.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Out of shape wouldn’t cause this level of suckiness. There is more to it than this.

Well, he could have more than an average amount of soreness and being banged up, and I would categorize that as being out of shape. If there's no injury, there's no injury. Can't really assume Elias and Hyde are lying about that fact - why would they if the alternative is Adley is simply not good or not in shape? 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

There is no evidence he dogged it. 

He got beat up and didn’t play as well. Stuff happens. 

I'm not really saying he dogged it. I'm saying he has to look at his offseason work and change something. He was not in shape to handle 100 games at catcher and still hit well. Whatever he's doing for training did not work. 

6 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

If Adley was worn down why did he start the last 2 games of the season when there was nothing left to gain/lose? Could've rested him the whole Twins series and gave him 4 days off heading into the playoffs

So infuriating.

Only thing I can think of is they felt the extra reps were more important than a day off…but that just seems like bs thinking to me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don't think we can have this discussion and stay within board rules. I also think we would all be speculating about things we probably shouldn't.
    • I think this sums it up extremely well. I don't have faith any more that any of these guys from the GM down are any better than anyone else. They just seem average and flawed to me, all the way down to the players (and in the case of our prospects, well below average and incredibly flawed). I'll hope for the best, but they did an excellent job killing any positive expectations I have for this group going forward.  And that is the hardest pill to swallow from last night and the last half season. At least the 1969 Os fans had 1970, and the 1979 Os fans had 1983.  Baseball blue balls is the perfect way to describe the last 40 years of fandom.
    • If Elias and company don't much this offseason, we will not finish .500 next year and a wasted year in 2025!!
    • I dont mean to use your post...but something uncharacteristically negative happened has me thinking about a question I want to ask but feel it will cause a political storm.  So I am not raising this question to start a debate on an issue, but I am genuinely curious. What happened to the Orioles sometime in June seemed to be that they no longer were a cohesive unit.  Yes there were injuries.  But injuries can also bring tight groups together.  This group that has seemed tight almost seemed to splinter.  Sure winning is fun and when it stops nothing is as fun.  But it seems like something could have happened that internally split this group apart.  Did it?  Whatever IT would be happened sometime in June before the All Star Break.  Until then things were rolling and Gunnar was raising the question of whether he was having the best season by a SS ever.   So what started the slide? Did it start after the Yankee Series in NY after a 17-5 win on June 20 with the Orioles leaving town after taking 2 of 3?  The Orioles went to Houston and lost three straight before returning to Baltimore and losing 2 straight to Cleveland before righting the ship and taking game three. Then Orioles played well at times after but never again played like a team in command.  So I went back and saw that the Texas series began on 6/27 with an 11-2 game started by Burnes (7 innings 88 Pitches) and included HRs by Mullins, Kjerstad, Rutschman and Cowser and in looking at all of that I saw something that I honestly had completely forgotten about. On June 27, the Orioles hosted the Rangers and began an MLB sponsored Pride Week.  Not really a bid deal, most all MLB teams and professional teams do.  Like it.  Hate it.  They all do it.  But I also saw the post that Austin Hays put out that same day on instagram.  He didn't say anything specific about the Pride events, he shared a religious point of view that spoke about evil.  The links were not direct, but obvious.   Cut to today.  The Orioles have never regained the superiority they held over everyone prior to June.  Hays...is gone.  I know he was an obvious trade candidate.  I thought the idea of trading him was fine.  But my question is did the events around Pride Night June 27 somehow cause a fracture in a clubhouse?   And please I am not saying it did.  I am simply a fan who is stuggling to see what broke.  I mean I see what broke.  But why?  The Red Sox collapse in 2011 had pizza and beer and locker room drama that came out after the fact to explain their epic collapse.  The didn't become excellent chokers magically on Sept 3 with a 9 game lead and then totally miss the playoffs when the Great Andino drove in the final nail. Something broke, it spread and it ate everything. I just think it is more likely something interpersonal happened in the clubhouse than the franchise approach that was working stopped.  Or that all of MLB found a way to turn Henderson from a player on a 12 WAR pace to one who struggled to field, throw, hit and run.   So my question to the GM and Manager would be.  Did something happen in mid June that affected the psyche of this team and was it related to the June 27 post by Austin Hays on the first night of Pride Week?  Thank you and I'll take your answer off line.
    • I don't really consider it choking when a team that has struggled for several months loses two games in a row.  The O's went 29-37 since July 7 (the date when they tied their best W/L margin for the season).  The offense had showed the ability to go utterly MIA some time after the All Star Break.  This was just more of that.
    • My take on the clutch thing is, clutchness/unclutchness can both be real things based on the human factors at hand, and it isn’t all just sequencing luck. But also 1) A guy’s clutchness can change from month to month and season to season just like a guy might have better or worse barrel rates at different times because of subtle changes in approach. 2) Observers are far too quick to say someone IS clutch/unclutch, definitively, instead of having had a clutch/unclutch performance in a certain window. 3) Other parts of baseball talent are way more predictable and steady than clutchness. So you don’t build your team by chasing what you perceive to be clutchness. 
    • This is the key issue.  Easier to hit when everyone is hitting, pitching is mediocre and there is less pressure.  What creates pressure?  Good pitching, slumps, injuries and trying to shoe horn in young, not ready players.  All of that amps up in the post season.   It is on coaches to manage player egos and mindset and GM to acquire players to fill needs.  Both Elias and Hyde squandered a big opportunity this year.   Teams don’t win 100 games or play at a 100 win pace by accident or fluke.  The 2nd half was more than enough of a sample size to judge the team’s readiness to take the next step.   Ironically they managed a pretty dreadful pitching situation fairly well - frontline starter injuries and BP /depth/implosion issues, even better when you consider the team was only average defensively.  The hitting/lineup was a disaster in judgment, coaching and performance. 
  • Popular Contributors