I would not pick up O'Hearn 8m option

wildcard

He is not a FA.   His service time is 5.170.  He is arb eligible.

If Mountcastle is projected at 6.6m I can't see O'Hearn getting more than 5.5m. O'Hearn as little defensive value.

There will be discussions about replacing these two but I think Mayo is the future O's 1B.   They just can't go into 2025  ST with Mayo as their best option at 1B. Mayo needs more time at AAA playing 1B IMO.

Move Adley and his ailing back to first base. Get rid of Mounty, get rid of O’Hearn.  Our 26 year old leader is already in the back half of his career from a physical perspective.

I don’t care what happens to Mayo. Sorry, Roy. Tired of trying to fit in guys who haven’t earned anything. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sadly, O’Hearn is actually RF insurance if Santa leaves. You can always pick him up and trade him. 

O'Hearn does not have to be the RF insurance.  There could be better options available as free agents or in a trade.  As much as I hate to say this, it's time to remake the starting lineup with some more guys who put the ball in play.  This won't be popular here, but guys like JD Martinez and Justin Turner (using them as examples) here bring leadership and they are historically not chokers. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just saying if you've got a plus arm and the brass still thinks O'Hearn is the better choice in Right...

That’s Mayo’s problem. Maybe Roy did the kid a disservice by non-stop talking about him and how he needed a shot this summer but I’m already tired of him. I really could not care less about Coby Mayo’s future. Another swing happy prospect, and one that has a glaring hole in his game. Sounds like Mountcastle 2.0 to me.  I’m not interested. 

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What does it say about Mayo that O'Hearn is the option in RF?

I want to immediately say, what does it say about Rubenstein that Santa won’t be our RF?

But…

I’m not sure giving Santa 150m is a good move. That Soto guy would be nice. Haha

It’s a borderline call.

Mayo is the first baseman next year imo.  But you should have another one on the roster, at least until Basallo is up.

Are you going to get someone who is as good and cheaper than OHearn?  OTOH, how good is he actually? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I want to immediately say, what does it say about Rubenstein that Santa won’t be our RF?

But…

I’m not sure giving Santa 150m is a good move. That Soto guy would be nice. Haha

I would love to have Soto's bat in the lineup.

His glove should stay in his locker.

38 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sadly, O’Hearn is actually RF insurance if Santa leaves. You can always pick him up and trade him. 

So an OF of Cowser/Mullins/Kjerstad doesn’t happen?  Santander is being replaced by Heston I’m sure.  Santander is probably the only player I’d consider ‘gone’ from the list of reasonable trade/non-tender candidates, prospects included.  

O’Hearn, like the rest of the team, struggled in the second half, but he struggled more than everyone not named Adley because he just can’t hit lefties but we had to have him play because of all of the infield injuries.  

I’d honestly trade Mountcastle and keep ROH for the last year and have him be the primary DH with support at 1B/RF.