Elias and Hyde address the media today

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Re: "clutch"

I don't think it's controversial to suggest that the human body is capable of functioning at a higher level in certain situations due to the rush of adrenaline that comes with it. That rush of adrenaline can also have a negative effect if it's not handled and managed properly on a mental/psychological level. It can cause someone to crumble just as it can cause someone to temporarily wield extraordinary ability that is above and beyond what they are normally capable of.

Someone elsewhere mentioned Derek Jeter and how he didn't perform any better in the postseason than he did any other time. Mariano Rivera had a career 2.21 in the regular season while having a 0.70 in the postseason. Clutch does exist and is a thing IMO. It's a mental skill that allows for control over your emotions during adrenaline fueled situations. Not being able to do this means you fail spectacularly most of the time. I think there is a range here. The better you are at these psychological management processes, the more extraordinary your performance will be.

So clutch stops you from performing more poorly in high stress situations but doesn't cause you to increase your capabilities over the normal level?

Odd definition but I don't disagree with the premise.

"overall philosophy is one of the better orgs in baseball - will evaluate it in the offseason"

"we are winning in a small market [so philosophy works] but there's room for improvement"

"praising santander but this is a business - not talking about it more today"

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Elias can dodge any question with aplomb.

The writers are reluctant to ask dangerous questions because they risk losing their press pass, which is why there’s never any pushback against non-answers.

Elias and Hyde each knows what is on every mind, and will have statements prepared for the questions they anticipate. And any question that is close enough will get one of the prepared answers…maybe even if it’s not close enough. But there won’t be any follow-up/supplemental/pushback questions, and I will be surprised if there’s any in-depth discussion of the trade deadline, coaching issues, draft/trade philosophy, in-game decisions, re-evaluation of statistical analysis, or off-season trade goals.

Ive never in my life heard a meaningful sports press conference, and listening , for instance, to Jason Garrett blather aimlessly when he was Cowboys coach was extremely frustrating.

When Nolan Ryan was forced out of the Rangers organization, that was big news, but nothing substantive came from the presser. 

I will be pleasantly and extremely surprised if today is different.

Just now, Ripken said:

"overall philosophy is one of the better orgs in baseball - will evaluate it in the offseason"

"we are winning in a small market [so philosophy works] but there's room for improvement"

Exactly…an afternoon of non-answers.

Just now, Ripken said:

Ahh there it is, the small market, woe is us line.

Was expecting that excuse.

Can't compete with a huge market like Kansas City.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

Disappointing that they’re both addressing the media. Doubt we see much change in the team’s approach next season. I’m sure we’ll hear excuses about injuries, and typical generic Hyde speak about what the team needs to do that flies in the face of what they actually do. Keep it up and it might be only Rubenstein addressing the media next year. 

What would you want them to say?  Should they just throw all the players under the bus i am sure that will help resigning any guys long term or bringing in free agents.  

Just now, bpilktree67 said:

What would you want them to say?  Should they just throw all the players under the bus i am sure that will help resigning any guys long term or bringing in free agents.  

Sorry, no time to talk, working on next season.

Then just walk.

Question was about Mayo and Holliday's handling/performance... "special players.  struggled immediately.  good flashes from Jackson.  totally 100% bullish on both.  tough decisions on how to handle them this year.  early failure is on me [elias]"

Where does Mayo play?  "1B is easiest position for his size and probably where he goes but he can play 3b"

"where he goes depends on what team needs (i.e. where his teammates play)"

4 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Please STFU about the small market bs.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Question was about Mayo and Holliday's handling/performance... "special players.  struggled immediately.  good flashes from Jackson.  totally 100% bullish on both.  tough decisions on how to handle them this year.  early failure is on me [elias]"

Where does Mayo play?  "1B is easiest position for his size and probably where he goes but he can play 3b"

"where he goes depends on what team needs (i.e. where his teammates play)"

Are you there? How are you getting this. Anyway, thanks. 

I think he said he wouldn't pull Holliday to CF off the table but the damn questions are so quiet.

"Had plan for this year and it didn't work out."  "I didn't execute perfectly and some things didn't go our way"

"things can backfire and got to be careful.  Trust our well studied beliefs on how to run team."

"urgency with disappointing exit be smart about going forward"

Just now, Ripken said:

I think he said he wouldn't pull Holliday to CF off the table but the damn questions are so quiet.

"Had plan for this year and it didn't work out."  "I didn't execute perfectly and some things didn't go our way"

"things can backfire and got to be careful.  Trust our well studied beliefs on how to run team."

"urgency with disappointing exit be smart about going forward"

Sorry I see link now. Thanks. 

"frustration about not getting on base or getting runners in.  hitting is tricky, hard to do it well but we'll examine our approach so we can address shortcomings.  it's not all chance and there are things the org and players can do to improve their odds in RISP chances.  we did it well last year"