Elias and Hyde address the media today

Sports Guy

"we are well equipped to run this franchise optimally.  the desire and wherewithal and expertise is there to do it"

"pretty confident we'll keep investing in the major league payroll.  be smart.  if it doesn't happen it's not lack of financial support"

deadline approach question:  "hard on myself - what could have been.  did get a lot of positive impacts on the pitching side and those guys are coming back."  something, something, TDL is hard.  "I can improve on the process and I have ideas about it and will work on it this winter"

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I like hearing him say the early failure of Holliday and Mayo is on him (Elias).   Leads me to think they'll do some serious examining to try to figure out why these guys are failing so spectacularly in their first go 'round.

Agreed.  Anyone who thinks these guys aren't going to analyze every bit of minutiae they have available to them to improve performance is just not paying attention.  They're not going to be perfect, but they're not afraid to review, analyze, and change as needed.

2 hours ago, Low Country Bird said:

Yeah, to hell with a guy who took over a dumpster fire of an organization, built up the farm system to the top system in all of MLB and resulted in a MLB team that has won 192 games over two years with most core players 26 and under (all while likely seriously hamstrung at the MLB level by the previous ownership).  The perspective, or lack thereof, on this Board is amazing.  Playoffs are a crapshoot.  But if you keep getting there, eventually the dam is going to break.  Let's see what happens this offseason with the new ownership.  If we flame out next year, then by all means it's time to start questioning the direction. But I don't expect that to happen and I think we will be right back in the playoffs. 

All valid points, but remember that organizations evolve, and the best man for one era In the evolution is not necessarily the best man for the next era In the evolution.

It is much too early to fire Mike, because we only got to the second period last season, and he’s only had one “lift off “off-season and two trade deadlines. I think both were unsuccessful and reflect a strategy that needs to be changed, but he needs to have the opportunity to change.

The draft approach has not changed at all, but it’s possible that that is just because there wasn’t any highly desirable pitching available this past draft.

He needs more time and should get it.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Luck and chance that the entire lineup decided the all star break was the end of the season and we really didn't need to hit anymore. That's not just luck and chance. Something happened. It might have been a clubhouse thing that Hyde couldn't get under control. It might have been other teams adjusting to our hitting approach and we never readjusted. Maybe we have players with no stamina (Adley, Gunnar, etc...) and need a better conditioning program. There is something deeper going on. Even that last game, Hyde managed scared, pulling Efflin after 4 innings with only one run allowed. The players could see that too and it affected them. 

I was not able to watch the game, but was there any discussion and explanation as to why he pulled him so soon? He was only at 75 pitches.

"assessment of the resilience in that locker room is very high."

"competing at a high level, somebody as to win and somebody has to lose."  crediting the Royals.

"figure out how to put it in the rear view mirror"

...and done.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

I was not able to watch the game, but was there any discussion and explanation as to why he pulled him so soon? He was only at 75 pitches.

I think it’s as simple as not wanting him to face the top of the order a third time. Plus a fully rested pen. 

The O’s *almost* made KC pay dearly for letting Lugo face the top a third time. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Question was about Mayo and Holliday's handling/performance... "special players.  struggled immediately.  good flashes from Jackson.  totally 100% bullish on both.  tough decisions on how to handle them this year.  early failure is on me [elias]"

Where does Mayo play?  "1B is easiest position for his size and probably where he goes but he can play 3b"

"where he goes depends on what team needs (i.e. where his teammates play)"

That one Elias the slow-cooker also rolled out "it was both their first long-term exposure to AAA" as if it is inconceivable that occasionally some of the world's top players don't need that.

The roster contingency comments I interpreted around The Ryans, and then maybe Goldschmidt or Bregman externally, who to me seem like above average possibilities to be targets if a bat is chased.

In a vacuum I think I heard him saying Mayo is a first baseman, and now like Mountcastle before him, his bat will buy him a half decade to develop his skills at the craft.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So clutch stops you from performing more poorly in high stress situations but doesn't cause you to increase your capabilities over the normal level?

Odd definition but I don't disagree with the premise.

Rivera performed way above his normal level. I'm sure there's other examples, I was sticking with the Yankees in the example.

Your body functions and works differently when it is and isn't under the influence of an adrenaline rush to the point that I would say you're in an altered state where the way your body works and reacts changes and you have to get it under control and adapt to it. Failure to do so means you end up shaking like a leaf and almost lose your motor control. Being able to manage it adequately means you can function pretty much the same as you do any other time and for some people, it takes them to a whole other level. I've experienced all of these personally though not in the circumstances of a professional athlete trying to perform in front of thousands of people as I'm sure many people here could also say. Adrenaline is powerful stuff and is also released with cortisol. They are stress hormones.

I think I would define "clutch" as your ability to perform while in the midst of such a state. It's a whole different ballgame pardon the pun. Perhaps it's odd, but that's how I see it basically. I'm used to being odd, so I feel right at home. 😎

• Upvote 1

Great job @Ripken with the on the fly transcribing.

I think "Jacob" gets the open-ended question award - at least that was the only one in the part I got to hear where Elias chose to name the individual questioner in his answer.     I assume that's Jacob Calvin Meyer.

Question was like "When FA opens November 5th, if things go according to plan, will the payroll be higher next year?"

Elias used his aplomb to say some stuff about the uncomfortability of "dancing for Jacob", but got to "Yeah".    Then added word salad "upward slope".

• Upvote 1