Elias and Hyde address the media today

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

Re: "clutch"

I don't think it's controversial to suggest that the human body is capable of functioning at a higher level in certain situations due to the rush of adrenaline that comes with it. That rush of adrenaline can also have a negative effect if it's not handled and managed properly on a mental/psychological level. It can cause someone to crumble just as it can cause someone to temporarily wield extraordinary ability that is above and beyond what they are normally capable of.

Someone elsewhere mentioned Derek Jeter and how he didn't perform any better in the postseason than he did any other time. Mariano Rivera had a career 2.21 in the regular season while having a 0.70 in the postseason. Clutch does exist and is a thing IMO. It's a mental skill that allows for control over your emotions during adrenaline fueled situations. Not being able to do this means you fail spectacularly most of the time. I think there is a range here. The better you are at these psychological management processes, the more extraordinary your performance will be.

I found Cedric's comments interesting, when he told the rest of the guys prior to the WC games, "Channel the crowd's energy to focus on getting things accomplished during the game" or something similar.  He was pretty successful doing so, and it sounds like that was his take on what you're saying, and the younger guys (with the exception of Westburg) will still have to learn to do so. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Gunnar had a MVP type season. 

He didn’t manage scared. He managed aggressively which you should do with the season on the line. 

Managing aggressively would be PHing Cowser. Managing aggressively would be PRing O'Hearn the game before. Managing aggressively would be PHing McCann in a crucial spot in G1. Yeah, he managed aggressively with the pitching in G2. But that's only one part of the equation.

Our media is way too easy on the Orioles. Elias is always able to give some politician talk without and real push back. My first question would have been who is in charge of shortening up the players swings? How come the third baseman is playing 45 feet off the line and Gunnar Henderson is swinging for a HR? Who is in charge of coming up with a plan so Ryan Mountcastle doesn’t fouls off one decent fastball and then swing at low and away breaking stuff the rest of the bat? Why was Adley Rutchman and McCann in the game 1 lineup when they both have hit under 200 for 3 months? Why wasn’t Adley ever put in the 8th/9th spot in the lineup?

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

"frustration about not getting on base or getting runners in.  hitting is tricky, hard to do it well but we'll examine our approach so we can address shortcomings.  it's not all chance and there are things the org and players can do to improve their odds in RISP chances.  we did it well last year"

Love this. I'm never a fan of the "chance" argument w/ RISP. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Please STFU about the small market bs.

According to Forbes 2024 billionaires list, minority partner Michael Bloomberg is number 12 worldwide with $106 billon net worth.  Way down at 97 is notorious MLB FA cowboy Steve Cohen at around $20 billion.  In other words, Bloomberg could afford to hire Steve Cohen to park his cars and still have plenty enough left over to bump the O's payroll responsibily.  And Bloomberg is just a sideline guy.

I don't expect or want fiscal stupidity from the O's organization, but this fan is not in the mood to have his intelligence insulted either.  Let's retire the small market narrative once and for all.  It doesn't play any better than the O's do in the post season.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

So clutch stops you from performing more poorly in high stress situations but doesn't cause you to increase your capabilities over the normal level?

Odd definition but I don't disagree with the premise.

I know you don’t believe in “clutch” or whatever it is named. But as smart as you appear to be, you have to know that it is a biological fact that people respond different in high stress/unusual stressful situations. Some people have the ability to stay calm and focused. And some people panic, become anxiety ridden, lose focus, and their muscles tense up/tighten.

I have no way of knowing whether that happened to any/many of our guys. But we can all agree that something drastically change for players team mid way through the season. And something uncharacteristically negative happened to many of our hitters for much of the second half. Some of these guys went from being first half all stars to much worse in such a short period of time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Agreed.  Anyone who thinks these guys aren't going to analyze every bit of minutiae they have available to them to improve performance is just not paying attention.  They're not going to be perfect, but they're not afraid to review, analyze, and change as needed.

They can go through all the analyzing they want to (paralysis by analysis). But until they decide to add meaningful talent from outside of the org, I don’t have much confidence that much will change in terms of October results. 

Some of our answers will come organically from inside the org (Holliday, Mayo development, return of Bautista, fixing Adley). However, there are other answers that must come from outside of the org (filling holes and adding talent via FA and/or significant trades).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

What would you want them to say?  Should they just throw all the players under the bus i am sure that will help resigning any guys long term or bringing in free agents.  

I hope they talk about how the approach of swinging for the fences didn’t work. They wanted to play it out but they see they were too aggressive. 

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I know you don’t believe in “clutch” or whatever it is named. But as smart as you appear to be, you have to know that it is a biological fact that people respond different in high stress/unusual stressful situations. Some people have the ability to stay calm and focused. And some people panic, become anxiety ridden, lose focus, and their muscles tense up/tighten.

I have no way of knowing whether that happened to any/many of our guys. But we can all agree that something drastically change for players team mid way through the season. And something uncharacteristically negative happened to many of our hitters for much of the second half. Some of these guys went from being first half all stars to much worse in such a short period of time.

I 100% agree with this.  

25 minutes ago, 24fps said:

According to Forbes 2024 billionaires list, minority partner Michael Bloomberg is number 12 worldwide with $106 billon net worth.  Way down at 97 is notorious MLB FA cowboy Steve Cohen at around $20 billion.  In other words, Bloomberg could afford to hire Steve Cohen to park his cars and still have plenty enough left over to bump the O's payroll responsibily.  And Bloomberg is just a sideline guy.

I don't expect or want fiscal stupidity from the O's organization, but this fan is not in the mood to have his intelligence insulted either.  Let's retire the small market narrative once and for all.  It doesn't play any better than the O's do in the post season.

I don’t know how much Bloomberg is willing to invest his own cash stock pile, but I couldn’t have said it any better than you did!

Even if Bloomberg is a token investor, Rubenstein has enough financial resources to sit at the adult’s table and not have to be forced to only swim at the shallow end of the talent pool. If we continue to go the cheap route, it might be on Elias who has never shown the ability to land a big fish (not a single one).

• Upvote 1