After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know he's a pretty good CFer, but that's AJ's position...

Doesn't it make sense to let Freel plah CF while Jones is sitting and Pie continue learning HIS position in LF? This seems counter productive...

And you know this how? By observation or reputation?

I know he's a pretty good CFer, but that's AJ's position...

Doesn't it make sense to let Freel plah CF while Jones is sitting and Pie continue learning HIS position in LF? This seems counter productive...

Not if Pie future on the O's is a 4th OFer.

Yes I do. I have seen it in other sports as well. Scouts get it very wrong sometimes and it always makes me wonder how they can do their job so poorly on certain players.

That's amazing. So your two weeks of watching Pie outweighs the many scouts over many years who watched him play? You must think that scouts are grossly incompetent.

Did you observe any of Pie's minor league games? What basis do you have to say that all the scouts were wrong?

You're operating by "1984" logic here. Pie is bad defensively now. Therefore, Pie has always been bad defensively.

From the half dozen or so times he made web gems in CHI last year. The dude can play CF.

How many errors or balls did he misplay though? I heard he has a reputation of making an easy play look like a web gem. :eek:Sort of how Jerry Hairston used to play second base!:rolleyes:

From the half dozen or so times he made web gems in CHI last year. The dude can play CF.

Corey Patterson made Web Gems a bunch of times as well, but it didn't mean he was a good defensive CFer.

Just because Pie makes flashy plays doesn't mean he makes the routine ones.

That's amazing. So your two weeks of watching Pie outweighs the many scouts over many years who watched him play? You must think that scouts are grossly incompetent.

Did you observe any of Pie's minor league games? What basis do you have to say that all the scouts were wrong?

You're operating by "1984" logic here. Pie is bad defensively now. Therefore, Pie has always been bad defensively.

Not all scouts are grossly incompetent but some apparently are and in all sports. Scouting of NFL QB's has been particularly egregious over the years.

My staunch belief is you can either field well or you cannot. There is no such thing as suddenly becoming a poor fielder. Two weeks of being atrocious is quite telling when the player was supposed to be at least above average to begin with. I don't automatically believe everything I read especially scouting reports, unlike some here apparently do. Felix Pie is a defensive liability until he shows otherwise. If I was a betting man I think I would win in my belief this kid was overated to begin with.

Brady Anderson didn't have any problems moving to left.

Mike Devereaux did. He was on MASN earlier this year and said he found the transition very difficult because of the fact that may balls to the corners are hooked or sliced and have various types of spin. He also said the wall comes into play far more often for a corner OF.

It's not that outrageous to think that one guy watching a few games on TV could be better at judging a player than hundreds of professional scouts and analysts over hundreds of games if you know that that one guy is omniscient.

Not all scouts are grossly incompetent but some apparently are and in all sports. Scouting of NFL QB's has been particularly egregious over the years.

My staunch belief is you can either field well or you cannot. There is no such thing as suddenly becoming a poor fielder. Two weeks of being atrocious is quite telling when the player was supposed to be at least above average to begin with. I don't automatically believe everything I read especially scouting reports, unlike some here apparently do. Felix Pie is a defensive liability until he shows otherwise. If I was a betting man I think I would win in my belief this kid was overated to begin with.

Your logic right now is the following: "Scouts often misjudge players in many other sports. Therefore, they must have misjudged Felix Pie, based on what I (not a professional scout) have seen in the past 2 weeks."

That's the worst logic I have ever heard.

Archived