Churchill: Matzek impressing

In Churchill's latest roundup he says that Tyler Matzek has pitched lights out since early April. His last start (Wed.) he went 7 innings allowing only two hits and K'ing 12. For the season he's got a 62-18 K/BB ratio and a 1.41 ERA in 49 2/3 innings.

With those stats he's looking to be the first prep pitcher taken. I can see him going #3 to SD right now, or #4 to the Pirates.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Churchill's latest roundup he says that Tyler Matzek has pitched lights out since early April. His last start (Wed.) he went 7 innings allowing only two hits and K'ing 12. For the season he's got a 62-18 K/BB ratio and a 1.41 ERA in 49 2/3 innings.

With those stats he's looking to be the first prep pitcher taken. I can see him going #3 to SD right now, or #4 to the Pirates.

I'd guess:

WAS - Strasburg

SEA - Ackley

SDN - Matzek

PIT - Crow

I'd be much more interested to hear how his stuff looks out there rather than what his HS stats are.

The numbers are nice, don't get me wrong, but HS stats need to be taken with a huge grain of salt, same applies to college stats, IMO.

Question for the draft experts here...

Is there a pitcher that is in the draft that may be a season away from being in the majors? I'm talking about someone who we could draft in June, get them on a team for the remainder of the season, then see them up here in June/July next year?

I like this Matzek kid, but I'd prefer someone who could be on a fast track to be a back-end of the rotation starter or a high-quality reliever NEXT year.

Question for the draft experts here...

Is there a pitcher that is in the draft that may be a season away from being in the majors? I'm talking about someone who we could draft in June, get them on a team for the remainder of the season, then see them up here in June/July next year?

I like this Matzek kid, but I'd prefer someone who could be on a fast track to be a back-end of the rotation starter or a high-quality reliever NEXT year.

Strasburg. He could pitch in the majors THIS June.

I wouldn't be in such a rush to worry about candidates for next year though, say if the big 3 make it up, with Guthrie, Koji, and Bergy, you already have one too many starters. Taking a top flight HS arm would ensure that when these guys hit FA and arbitration that you have in house talent to replace them. This is where we fell apart in the mid-90's as when Moose left we had no one ready to step in.

Generally any of the college closers (that are first round material) could be ready by next season, they make quick jumps all the time.

If Green is available at pick #5, he will very likely be an Oriole.

Just my humble view.

I think that is a possibility. I don't think there would be a question if Green was striking out about twice as often as he walks. I'm not as concerned about the homeruns, as he's still driving the ball pretty well right now, but the total production does raise some questions.

If Green is available at pick #5, he will very likely be an Oriole.

Just my humble view.

I think we avoid him for the fact that he is a Boras client coming off a less than convincing season.

We didn't draft any Boras clients last year and MacPhail wouldn't have drafted Wieters IIRC...

Archived