A little more info as we get close

- Word is that Matzek is not considered the top 1 or 2 HS pitchers by the Orioles so don't look for him to be the #5 pick.

- Getting vibes on Hobgood. Stuff is reportedly much better than any of the publications have listed. Hobgood has sat 92-95 all spring, and has been as high as 98 according to reports. CB is a currently already above major league average and is reportedly better than Wheelers. He shows a decent change as well. Has a great makeup and some of the guys who saw him said he looks like a young R. Clemens.

- Word is that Matzek is not considered the top 1 or 2 HS pitchers by the Orioles so don't look for him to be the #5 pick.

- Getting vibes on Hobgood. Stuff is reportedly much better than any of the publications have listed. Hobgood has sat 92-95 all spring, and has been as high as 98 according to reports. CB is a currently already above major league average and is reportedly better than Wheelers. He shows a decent change as well. Has a great makeup and some of the guys who saw him said he looks like a young R. Clemens.

Wow, if all of that is true about Hobgood, then that doesn't seem like such a reach.

Interesting. His curve is said to be one of the best if not the best for the prep pitchers. His weight and conditioning concern me.

I'm softening a little, but I still think there is better talent at #5.

Somebody sees something in him. Proof that they like the kid as a pitcher and don't feel that it's a reach.

No way can I believe that Hobgood is the BPA... Gotta think this is just a quick signability thing if they take him at 1-5.

If it means they take and sign some players over slot in the 2-5 rounds it'll be a little easier to understand, otherwise I can't help feeling like it might be a waste of a pick to take this guy so high.

Really? I heard he doesn't have a good feel for the change.

I'd love to be wrong about that though.

His stuff is supposed to be outstanding. It's his physical tools that people have doubts about. We're not going into this with our eyes closed so we must be satisfied he's got the endurance and fitness to match his stuff. He's definitely got TOR potential, though obviously a long way from that right now. 5 is earlier than I'd have taken him but he's definitely a talent.

If we draft this Hobgoblin character, I hope he throw exploding pumpkins like the movies. The other team wouldn't stand a chance :wedge:

Obviously, a lot of people are going to be uspset for the perceived reach of Hobgood. Heck, I was feeling that way this morning. That said, if Jordan truely believes Hobgood is as good or better than Matzek, Wheeler, or some of the other prep pitchers than I'll trust his judgement.

No way can I believe that Hobgood is the BPA... Gotta think this is just a quick signability thing if they take him at 1-5.

If it means they take and sign some players over slot in the 2-5 rounds it'll be a little easier to understand, otherwise I can't help feeling like it might be a waste of a pick to take this guy so high.

You can feel that way, but I was told in this exact terms, "He is not a reach, he's the real deal."

Archived