MacPhail's frugality is hurting this team

JTrea81

You've got to spend money to make money. The Orioles problem used to be they didn't spend money wisely.

Now it seems they just won't spend.

What are they saving the money for exactly?

Did I just not point you to the deals of Markakis and Roberts? The Markakis deal, the richest in franchise history?

You're going crazy again. This is quickly approaching Millar/Tex proportions.

Do you know the budget? Do you know the finances? Did you understand that this draft was basically Strasburg and Ackley and then everyone else? Why do you demand this team to pay OVER slot? Is it the cool thing to do?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on what the O's told Hobgood, they would have selected Dustin Ackley if he had been available at the 5th selection. Ackley will probably sign the biggest contract of any of Boras' draftees not named Strasburg.

Hobgood isn't the issue if Jordan had him truly as the BPA

It's not going after guys like Stassi, Bailey and Krol in the later rounds and paying them above slot money to sign. There's no way those guys weren't rated highly as they were all seen as early round picks.

Signability reigned supreme over this draft more than any in the past since Jordan took over.

Not going much over slot for the later round picks in this draft, the ST situation, not willing to spend on premium Latin talent...

Paid Ollie Drake $100,000 signing bonus as a 43rd round pick. A bit above slot, don't you think?

Do you need more?

From what I have seen considering the deals shelled out to Matutz, Wieters, Roberts and Markakis, I would say yes, we need more.

The current draft is a weak one beyond pick number 1, and the economy has tanked. It makes perfect sense if they save money and don't spend it wildly on this draft class given its lack of quality.

The money goes to Angelos. From 2002-2008 we are 3rd in earnings. We could afford 120$M payroll. Its headed for 50-60. MacPhail was brought here to return us to the top in earnings. Angelos was shook up by the great reliever spending spree. Winning is secondary, although MacPhail is skillfull enough to make it look like we are moving that way. Hence the Roberts and Markakis deals, but still moving towards a low yearly payroll. If our upcoming big three aren't successful (as in two 15 game winners and a 12 game winner), we are toast.

You've got to spend money to make money. The Orioles problem used to be they didn't spend money wisely.

Now it seems they just won't spend.

What are they saving the money for exactly?

You have ZERO clue as to how much they're spending on any part of the organization besides current player payroll and draft bonuses. You choose to assume they're stashing it somewhere like the Peter Angelos yacht fund.

You have ZERO clue as to how much they're spending on any part of the organization besides current player payroll and draft bonuses. You choose to assume they're stashing it somewhere like the Peter Angelos yacht fund.

I don't see any evidence that the money is going anywhere else than to line Angelos' pockets.

Show me some, if you've got any and I might sing a different tune.

It really does seem like MacPhail was brought in to reign in spending and increase Angelos' profit margin. As long as we can compete, I can live with that, but right now we need all the talent we can get to compete and it doesn't seem like we are willing to spend to acquire it.

AMac said: Grow Pitchers and buy batters. Seems like he is sticking to his guns on this one and I am all for it. They are well on their way to stocking the farm system with young potentials pitchers. What's the problem? WHo cares if they don't draft Boras clients? The entire thing is a crap shoot. Just because they are Boras clients makes them potentials stars? Give me a break man...

Just because you throw out a name that you like and the O's don't draft him does not mean he is not spending money.

Lighten up dude.

I don't see any evidence that the money is going anywhere else than to line Angelos' pockets.

Show me some, if you've got any and I might sing a different tune.

You don't have even a shred of evidence it's not going straight back into the organization. You choose to be a hyperpessimist. Don't even pretend you're being objective here, because you're not.

Hobgood isn't the issue.

It's not going after guys like Stassi, Bailey and Krol in the later rounds and paying them above slot money to sign.

Signability reigned supreme over this draft more than any in the past since Jordan took over.

My response wasn't focused on Hobgood. It was focused on your blanket statement that AM wouldn't go after any Boras clients (i.e., another strawman you have created to support your argument that AM is being cheap). However, this doesn't appear to be the case based on what Hobgood stated as the O's would have drafted Boras best client not named Strasburg.

What do you call dishing out the deals for Markakis and Roberts this past offseason?

Perhaps they're looking to save to sign Jones, Wieters, and The Cavalry to keep em all here through their primes?

How does saving money this year affect what they spend three or more years from now for the players you mentioned? Are finances finite or do the Orioles make money most years? Despite record low attendance in 2008, the Orioles had the 5th highest operating *income*.

Money they don't spend is money they could spend when the right guy comes along. Maybe now they can sign a few guys like Beltre or even take on the contract of someone like Miguel Cabrera. Maybe they can afford Sano. Or maybe Angelos is filling up his McDuck style swimming pool.

I don't think it is unfair to say that they have been frugal in this draft.

Jordan said money wasn't an issue but looking at the day 2 picks, I question that greatly.

Tony had said that the Orioles wanted to get guys that slipped and get some more Arrieta type guys...It appears they haven't really done that outside of maybe Berry, who is an injury risk(but still a great pick).

So, I am not sure what Jtrea is saying is wrong..at least in terms of the draft.

When it comes to the draft and Int'l signings, you see teams like Oakland spend big dollars...They do this because they know they can't spend in FA.

Now, the Orioles can do both...and they need to do both because of the division...Of course, they really need to keep their own and that can't be overlooked and they are doing a good job of that now.

Not going much over slot for the later round picks in this draft, the ST situation, not willing to spend on premium Latin talent...

Do you need more?

I really don't understand how anyone so negative about an organization continues to root for the team..it boggles the few remaning brain cells I have. According to someone I heard yesterday from MLB network, the O's spending over the last couple of years on draft picks was in the top 5. Frugal?? Baltimore will have to start winning before they will attract a glamor guy. Become a Red Sox fan, you will be much happier.

Archived