Fiorentino - the new Montanez?

McLovin

Long-time posters will recall my fascination with Fio. It's good to see him putting up solid numbers at Norfolk, and I have little doubt he could be a credible 4th outfielder if the need arose. Yeah, I'd think that if one of our outfielders got hurt right now and we needed to call someone up, Fio would probably get the nod over Joey Gathright (.278/.337/.329) or Justin Christian (.264/.297/.390). Fio plays solid defense at all three outfield spots and is a better hitter than the other two, although the others are speedier.

Against righties, away from Norfolk, and since his promotion - he is very productive! :P

Looks like he could platoon with someone if we had that need, but I think more and more we have our three OF'ers. No offense Screech. I like Lou or Felix better as the bench OF'er than Fio.

Looks like he could platoon with someone if we had that need, but I think more and more we have our three OF'ers. No offense Screech. I like Lou or Felix better as the bench OF'er than Fio.

Well, my point was more that he's probably worked his way up the depth chart, in terms of a 'next man up' if one of the OF'ers on the roster gets hurt. I like Lou and Felix better too. I compared him to Montanez because he's a bit older, and he seems to have re-found his stroke.

Wow, 2004 was an ugly draft. I'm glad we got Bergesen in the 4th, cause other than that, nothing (I know, Townsend turned into Olson who turned into Pie, still).

Anyway, as for Fio...I hope he can make it back, seems he could be an OK 4th OF, though maybe not for us as we seem covered there. If not...at least he lived the dream, made it to MLB and hit a homer at age 22, better than most can say.

Fio's been on something of a tear lately, hitting .371 over his last 10 games. Overall he's at .302/.384/.511. It's nice to see him bouncing back after a rough 2008 that started by him getting hit in the face while in the Oakland organization and eventually get released and then picked up by the O's.

Fio's been on something of a tear lately, hitting .371 over his last 10 games. Overall he's at .302/.384/.511. It's nice to see him bouncing back after a rough 2008 that started by him getting hit in the face while in the Oakland organization and eventually get released and then picked up by the O's.

He never got released.

The Athletics try to pass him through waivers at which point the Reds picked him up and let him stay on the 40 man roster (while serving his last option year) and then they tried to pass him through waivers when the Orioles claimed Fiorentino and optioned him to the minors.

He never got released.

The Athletics try to pass him through waivers at which point the Reds picked him up and let him stay on the 40 man roster (while serving his last option year) and then they tried to pass him through waivers when the Orioles claimed Fiorentino and optioned him to the minors.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying. My main point was that 2008 was sort of a lost year for Fiorentino, between missing a lot of time due to getting hit in the face and then bouncing around and not really performing all that well.

He started off horribly this year at Bowie but got promoted when they needed a body and since then he has played very well.

He never got released.

Actually, he was outrighted to Norfolk, not optioned.

Actually, he was outrighted to Norfolk, not optioned.

Fio was claimed off waivers from the Athletics on June 5th. He was outrighted on October 20th.

The Athletics DFAed him on 5/29/2008 to make room on the 40 man roster for Eric Chavez coming off the 60 Day DL. The A's claimed him off waivers from the Reds (I got the order reversed of A's/Reds) and optioned him (using his 4th option year) on 3/29/2008. When Baltimore claimed him, he was already serving out his option year in AAA so he went to Norfolk when he was claimed again.

Archived