6/29: Red Sox at Orioles, Game 1

PaulFolk

Should our pitchers actually have to try to pitch a SO every game?

The offense has to show up at some point...

Agreed but a guy on his game like Lester is always going to overpower. On most nights, we are competent offensively. On nights we atch a Lester type on his game we have no chance to win 2 to 1.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should our pitchers actually have to try to pitch a SO every game?

The offense has to show up at some point...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=batting&group=9&season=2009

Middle of the pack.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=pitching&seasonType=2&group=9&typereg&split=0&season=2009

Back of the pack.

Look back in history, you'll see a trend.

Our line up needs another speed guy up front that can set the table, but it is enough to compete. We can not pitch well on a consistent basis.

IMO we need to find a "best player". I feel like we don't have an offensive player capable of being the best player on a playoff team.

Our lineup is too impatient to face Lester. We need more guys to work the count against him. He has given up 5 runs in his last 11 innings, so you can get to him. When Roberts and Jones swing on the first pitch, that doesn't help.

Our lineup is too impatient to face Lester. We need more guys to work the count against him. He has given up 5 runs in his last 11 innings, so you can get to him. When Roberts and Jones swing on the first pitch, that doesn't help.

Sly... I'm speaking in general terms.

Good teams pitch well, bad teams pitch poorly.

We pitch poorly and have for a long, long time. It needs to change.

As I argued in an earlier thread, you can't look at these things based on the whole league. You have to judge in comparison to the the AL only. The NL has to toss out a pitcher to hit .120 every game. The fact that any NL team is ahead of an AL team speaks volumes of the ineptitude of the AL team in question.

Archived