Orioles looking into trading Pie and Salazar

My O's Face

I don't like the idea of trading Pie.

Me neither. To me, he's valuable to this team as our 4th OF as he can play all three positions. Plus, he can PR late in games. I'd much rather trade Salazar, who is redundant with Wiggy on the roster. It's nice to have Oscar's bat off the bench, but he's pretty awful in the field.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, I ammended what I said and said there should be more of a rotation between pie, Scott and Reimold.

Secondly, good...You have never actually discussed Pie to begin with..You have ignored most evidence and held on tight to the idea that you didn't want him to begin with and have based everything off of that.

This is a lazy, bogus response from you SG. Yes, I have said I didn't want him, but you have gone out of your way to completely ignore anything positive I EVER say about Pie. I like him as a 4th outfielder, and he has been impressive over the past month in THAT role, but to say he should be getting regular starts over Reimold, Huff, or specfically Scott, is just ridiculous. If Scott is in the long term plans of the Orioles, then he needs to play. If Scott is being thought of as possible trade bait, he needs to play. The Orioles don't see Pie as a starter on this team, not with Reimold joining Kakes and Jones in our impressive outfield, so they are using him in the role they want him, a 4th outfielder. And I will say it again, HE IS PERFORMING WELL IN THAT ROLE.

Me neither. To me, he's valuable to this team as our 4th OF as he can play all three positions. Plus, he can PR late in games. I'd much rather trade Salazar, who is redundant with Wiggy on the roster. It's nice to have Oscar's bat off the bench, but he's pretty awful in the field.

Pie is the kind of guy this team should be trading for, not trading away.

I agreed with the Pie trade when we made it.Deciding which one to keep is a difficult decision.

But given the fact that we already have 4 solid guys in the outfield plus the fact that Reimold or Markakis could play center in a pinch, I'd trade Pie and keep Salazar. Now that Pie is starting to hit a bit and still has potential upside, but he won't get the at-bats with the Orioles given the talent we have out there.

He might bring you more than Salazar in a trade.

I don't know that Salazar and Wigginton are redundant. Wig. will probably be the regular third baseman next year and will be gone after that. That leaves a slot open for an infield utility man and RH bat off the bench. That's Salazar. While Andino mite be able to handle the infield positions, I don't see him as your infield back-up. He just doesn't hit enough to be anything but a back-up shortstop IMO.

Not eager to deal Pie or Salazar due to any perceived roster crunch - unless we get something of decent value. I'm sure there are other decent options like dealing Wiggy or sending Mickolio down.

Yeah, I can't think that AM is anxious to deal Pie or Salazar. With Hill moving to the BP for the next week and a half, there's no reason not to send Mickolio back down if Izturis is coming up Friday. That buys us some more time to "see what happens". There's always the outside chance that somebody gets injured or something, god forbid.

If it comes to having to make a roster move, it's hard to argue that those two, and maybe Huff, would be the most likely to leave via trade. I don't see AM trading Scott, and wouldn't want to see him leave. My order of preference would be Huff, Salazar, then Pie.

The only other option is a DFA on Mora, and that's not going to happen.

I liked the Pie trade when we made it. I was disappointed he didn't do as well as hoped to start the season, but he's shown improvement and is young. We have a logjam in the outfield, and Pie has improved to the point where as a trade piece he could get a decent return to fill one of our more pressing needs in the infield.

Surplus in OF + Shortage in IF = Trade your OFer.

Andino on the bench replaces Pie as a PR easily. Salazar is a nice right hand bat off the bench. To me, this is a no brainer. Trade Pie for whatever you can get.

Not that I'm against trading Salazar, but if we traded both Huff and Salazar, and Wigginton become our regular first baseman (with maybe some time given to Scott here and there), who would back up Mora at third?

I still don't get all of the Pie love. Facts. He is batting .234. His lifetime avg is .226 so he is actually having a good year. I said much earlier this year he wouldn't sniff .260 and he hasn't.

Is he fast? Yes. A decent back up? Yes. But certainly nothing to be concerned about. He could possibly bring in a corner infielder that everyone says we need. Fields isn't Mike Schmidt, but he could be a viable option.

As for the potential and upside, I don't see it. Pie has had 2/3 of a seasons at bats in the ML and his #'s are atrocious. Highest OBP? .312 Highest Slugging? .355 Make the trade and end the experiment.

Based on what?

In 2008 .229/.188/.416

In 2009 .312/.359/.671

UZR/150 at 3B

2008: -5.2

2009: -11.5

The guy is 26 already, is a very poor fielder and hitter. Pie plays great defense at multiple positions and is over 2 years younger with a superior minor league resume.

Archived