Orioles looking into trading Pie and Salazar

My O's Face

I think you hold onto Salazar and trade Wiggy to the Cards for a young reliever like Jess Todd. Then deal Guthrie to the Brewers for J.J. Hardy, call up Tillman and Arrieta and the team is much improved.

That seems too easy. ;)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me Salazar is going to be the odd man out here. Value aside, Pie for Fields does nothing for the roster crunch and really makes things worse by leaving youself without a 4th OF. I guess WIggy could backup LF and RF but it's likely at some point DT would want better speed and defense and ask for Gathright or Christian. That would end up being two moves we'd have to make. One to make room for Fields and another for Gathright or Christian.

There is no roster crunch with Fields. He has an option left. He would go to Norfolk. Mora plays out the year. Fields is recalled in Sept. Gathright is the backup CF if Jones gets hurt but he stays at AAA until then.

Pie was a guy who could not hit in the majors when the O's got him but working with Crowley he has improved. The O's may try the same thing with Fields.

I still don't get all of the Pie love. Facts. He is batting .234. His lifetime avg is .226 so he is actually having a good year. I said much earlier this year he wouldn't sniff .260 and he hasn't.

Is he fast? Yes. A decent back up? Yes. But certainly nothing to be concerned about. He could possibly bring in a corner infielder that everyone says we need. Fields isn't Mike Schmidt, but he could be a viable option.

As for the potential and upside, I don't see it. Pie has had 2/3 of a seasons at bats in the ML and his #'s are atrocious. Highest OBP? .312 Highest Slugging? .355 Make the trade and end the experiment.

Source for stats was the Baltimore Orioles website.

It should be Mora. We can live with Wiggington and Salazar at 3B and Mora looks done.

I agree, Mora was done three years ago. Trade him or let him go. Wiggy and Salazar would do just fine at 3B for the rest of this year and maybe a little Huff over there as well.

I agree, Mora was done three years ago. Trade him or let him go. Wiggy and Salazar would do just fine at 3B for the rest of this year and maybe a little Huff over there as well.

If we were playing Strat-o-Matic baseball, then cutting Mora probably would be the right move. But this is real life with real people. Mora has been a stalwart member of the organization for almost a decade. He may wind up as an Oriole Hall-of-Famer. I think he'll be allowed to play out the season and say goodbye to the fans.

Trade Salazar for whatever...Pie has too much upside and is too valuable to just let go for whatever.

I agree with this. I know people here love Oscar and he is a nice bat off the bench, but he is 30 or 31, is very limited with the glove. I want to keep Felix but as you said in another post, when you keep hearing the same names in trade talks there generally is some truth and we keep hearing Josh Fields. I actually think Fields could provide some upside too, but I like Pie better.

If we were playing Strat-o-Matic baseball, then cutting Mora probably would be the right move. But this is real life with real people. Mora has been a stalwart member of the organization for almost a decade. He may wind up as an Oriole Hall-of-Famer. I think he'll be allowed to play out the season and say goodbye to the fans.

Thank you.

Yeah, Mora was awful last year:rolleyes: and as for Oscar doing fine at 3B, have you watched his defensive stylings. Not Pretty. He knows where to stand but would be tough to watch at 3rd base.

Its a tempting deal...Pie is a much better player IMO...He has better upside...but will he play?

Fields could come here and play and MAYBE end up our third baseman.

But the reality is Pie is younger and better and should be starting everyday, with Reimold at DH...but the Orioles aren't likely to do that.

Your Pie love is blinding you. You would seriously rather have Pie in left and Reimold at DH than Scott at DH with Reimold in left? Seriously? If that is truly how you feel, then I now completely understand your viewpoint and will no longer stress myself out in discussin Felix Pie with you. :rolleyes:

Your Pie love is blinding you. You would seriously rather have Pie in left and Reimold at DH than Scott at DH with Reimold in left? Seriously? If that is truly how you feel, then I now completely understand your viewpoint and will no longer stress myself out in discussin Felix Pie with you. :rolleyes:

Stop thinking with your "Dipstick"! :D Tony S, Dip needs some serious chastising!

Obviously at this point Nolan and Scott are the better options, but I think the flaw that people do not see is that it is okay to have more than one guy at positions. Pie has tools (I hate that word) that still could develop. Who knows what the future brings for either Pie, Reimold, Scott etc. I still think the problem with the lineup is we only have one catalyst at the top of the lineup (speed wise). When Roberts is in a funk, it effects the rest of the lineup. Pie could develop into the second guy.

First of all, I ammended what I said and said there should be more of a rotation between pie, Scott and Reimold.

Secondly, good...You have never actually discussed Pie to begin with..You have ignored most evidence and held on tight to the idea that you didn't want him to begin with and have based everything off of that.

Archived