Jake Arrieta Game Discussion

Frobby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 IP...6 hits...2 runs...0 walks...4 k's...He has also hit 2 batters.

Only 60% of his pitches for strikes thus far...Has only thrown 82 pitches through 6 IP.

And he is now out of the game...Good start for him.

This start was in Fenway btw.

Give those Sox fans a little taste of what's coming their way. It's good to see Arrieta have his first good start in a while. He almost had a 6th inning disaster, loading the bases on 3 singles with only one out, but induced a shallow fly and a strikeout to get out of it. He only threw 82 pitches today but I guess that last inning convinced Allenson that Arrieta was getting tired.

Looking at Gameday, he was missing badly with the four-seam FB all the way through, mostly missing high (often way high). The damage could have been worse, but most were far out of the zone.

The secondary stuff saved him. Must have been some wicked late break on the slider because nobody did anything with it.

If that's typical of his FB command lately, I am not surprised that he has been getting scuffed up. Good velocity (93-95) and 4-5 inches of break, but location was hopeless.

EDIT: Nice game for Snyder BTW.

Give those Sox fans a little taste of what's coming their way. It's good to see Arrieta have his first good start in a while. He almost had a 6th inning disaster, loading the bases on 3 singles with only one out, but induced a shallow fly and a strikeout to get out of it. He only threw 82 pitches today but I guess that last inning convinced Allenson that Arrieta was getting tired.

He really needs to be skipped a couple of times IMO. The same way that the rest is gonna help Bergy for missing a few starts it would help Jake. I still am honestly not even considering him as a closer, in my eyes right now its out of the question, hes just tired. Something is bothering him evident by the strike/ball ratio and the HBP's and I think rest would cure that. It is nice to see the intangibles come into play though in that he can still hold it together and put up decent starts even when he is ailing slightly.

I still am honestly not even considering him as a closer, in my eyes right now its out of the question, hes just tired. Something is bothering him evident by the strike/ball ratio and the HBP's and I think rest would cure that. It is nice to see the intangibles come into play though in that he can still hold it together and put up decent starts even when he is ailing slightly.

He sat 94-95 and touched 97 on the four-seamer, and was consistently missing high, neither of which suggests a tired pitcher.

Also he was hitting the corners with the slider. Again not the mark of a tired arm.

I don't know about his other starts, but this was strictly about FB command.

He sat 94-95 and touched 97 on the four-seamer, and was consistently missing high, neither of which suggests a tired pitcher.

Also he was hitting the corners with the slider. Again not the mark of a tired arm.

Not that he was tired from the game, but more or less that he is unwinding. I think he needs to take a step back, regroup and he will be fine. Id be more worried if his fastball was being thrown as hard as it is and he is locating the pitches well and still being knocked around. Atleast we know there is cause of him being knocked around slightly. The question is what is causing him to lose his fastball location.

What? Leaving the ball up in the zone is a sign of being tired.

Archived