Jake Arrieta Game Discussion

Frobby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
minorleaguebaseball says he went 7 innings and threw 100 pitches, is that correct. from reading the posts above it seems as though he only went 6.
In the 7th he walked the first two guys, then got a double play and a strike out. He's at 100 pitches (63 for strikes) so he's probably done, but a good outing and he didn't implode.

7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

He went 7.

That's 3 pretty solid starts in a row now for Jake. In those 3 starts combined he's thrown 19 innings and given up 5 ER, with 15 strikeouts against 4 walks. I know there is plenty of talk about moving this guy to the closers role, but I'd like to see him given every opportunity to be a starter before that happens.

That's 3 pretty solid starts in a row now for Jake. In those 3 starts combined he's thrown 19 innings and given up 5 ER, with 15 strikeouts against 4 walks. I know there is plenty of talk about moving this guy to the closers role, but I'd like to see him given every opportunity to be a starter before that happens.

I don't think the Orioles have any plans to move him to closer unless he proves he can't make it as as starter. I see him as part of the opening day 2010 rotation along with Bergesen, Tillman, Matusz, and either Guthrie or Hernandez.

I don't think the Orioles have any plans to move him to closer unless he proves he can't make it as as starter. I see him as part of the opening day 2010 rotation along with Bergesen, Tillman, Matusz, and either Guthrie or Hernandez.

Now that's a rotation I can look forward to every day!:clap3:

Tony, do you see the FO playing the service time game with any of these young pitchers? It would be tough to see the big three all hit FA (and arbitration, oof!) at the same time.

Tony, do you see the FO playing the service time game with any of these young pitchers? It would be tough to see the big three all hit FA (and arbitration, oof!) at the same time.

Even in the case of Wieters, we haven't seen the O's 'play the service time game' without some other benefits associated with the time table they laid out.

In the case of Arrieta, he won't be on the 40-man roster going into spring training. That makes him initially the odd man out if there is any real decision to be made. Considering who has to be added before the Rule 5 draft in November, they're not going to DFA someone else just yet in order to add Arrieta too.

I don't think there's any way they make an Adam Eaton type move to keep him in the minors. But I think they'll work to create a situation where reasonable minds would consider starting Arrieta in the minors. Considering Tony just listed six legitimate options, five of whom are on the 40-man, one could argue that this situation already exists.

I think it would be a lot smarter to let him start the year in AAA and give us the extra year of service time. Hernandez and/or Guthrie can easily give us four starts until May.
I agree. And you wouldn't even need 4 starts out of anybody else, 2 would be plenty. You only need to eat about 12-13 days of the year. Depending on our off days early in the season that'd probably only be 2 times through the rotation.

As long as Guthrie's an Oriole, I think he'll be in the rotation. My best guess is that we really hope he has a bounce back year next year so we can trade him at the deadline for what would likely be a really good return.

An offseason deal for someone like Hardy could be possible though.

Even in the case of Wieters, we haven't seen the O's 'play the service time game' without some other benefits associated with the time table they laid out.

In the case of Arrieta, he won't be on the 40-man roster going into spring training. That makes him initially the odd man out if there is any real decision to be made. Considering who has to be added before the Rule 5 draft in November, they're not going to DFA someone else just yet in order to add Arrieta too.

I don't think there's any way they make an Adam Eaton type move to keep him in the minors. But I think they'll work to create a situation where reasonable minds would consider starting Arrieta in the minors. Considering Tony just listed six legitimate options, five of whom are on the 40-man, one could argue that this situation already exists.

Well, fair enough, but I wasn't passing any moral judgements on playing 'the service time game.' Of course there were rationales and other benefits to keeping Wieters in AAA until May, and those will exist for Arrieta as well.

In my opinion, if you consider Arrieta to be one of your five best starting pitchers in the organization on April 1st 2010 but start him in AAA, that is playing the service time game, even if he could benefit from some more time there. I also don't think that's necessarily a bad idea.

Well, fair enough, but I wasn't passing any moral judgements on playing 'the service time game.' Of course there were rationales and other benefits to keeping Wieters in AAA until May, and those will exist for Arrieta as well.

In my opinion, if you consider Arrieta to be one of your five best starting pitchers in the organization on April 1st 2010 but start him in AAA, that is playing the service time game, even if he could benefit from some more time there. I also don't think that's necessarily a bad idea.

Sorry, I wasn't making any assumptions on where you stood. I was just trying to express my opinion as completely as I could. Concerning the second paragraph... depending on how it plays out, I might agree with you. But for the sake of discussion, let me play devil's advocate.

Suppose you're going with Bergesen, Tillman, Matusz, Guthrie, and Hernandez. Arrieta gives you reason to think he could do better than one or more of those five right now (beginning of 2010 season). Of course you never know for sure, and you're pretty happy with how those other five look. Suppose there's no obvious DFA candidates on the 40-man roster anymore. (Right now, there are. But by then, there might not be.) Are you going to DFA someone you'd like to keep and think will be claimed in order to unseat one of those five with Arrieta?

I don't think so. You know you'll never get through the season with just five starters, so you know Arrieta will get his chance soon enough anyway. You know he CAN benefit from more time in 'AAA', even if you figure he's ready. Unless he REALLY forces the decision, or the play of one or more of the other candidates really forces the decision, the guy who's not on the 40-man will have to wait his turn.

My point is that none of that decision making process has involved the service time situation yet. When you factor that in, it moves closer to being a no-brainer to start Arrieta in 'AAA'.

Note: This is a possible scenario but not a definite by any means. If the 40-man roster still has some fat that you obviously won't mind trimming, then the decision making variables are different. If you have injuries or if another option is performing extremely poorly then the decision making variables are different.

I would be shocked if Arrieta starts the year on OD.

If he were to even make the staff out of OD, he probably is the 5th starter...That means he may not start for a while depending on days off, etc...

So, he may only get 1 or 2 starts before the April date to gain an extra year...No way, especially with a Boras client, do you bring up a top level prospect and not get that extra year.

Archived