Official Heisman thread

Big Mac

Thought I'd make a thread for us to track and discuss the Heisman trophy candidates.

I know I might be being a bit of a homer here, but I have Mark Ingram in the lead right now.

Right now I'd rank the top 3 as follows:

1. Mark Ingram-RB, Alabama

2. Tim Tebow-QB, Florida

3. Tony Pike-QB, Cincinnati

It really seems like it's going to come down to Ingram and Tebow.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought I'd make a thread for us to track and discuss the Heisman trophy candidates.

I know I might be being a bit of a homer here, but I have Mark Ingram in the lead right now.

Right now I'd rank the top 3 as follows:

1. Mark Ingram-RB, Alabama

2. Tim Tebow-QB, Florida

3. Tony Pike-QB, Cincinnati

It really seems like it's going to come down to Ingram and Tebow.

Tebow's numbers seem to be down signifcantly. I'm not sure why he should be among the favorites at this point in the season.

Tebow's numbers seem to be down signifcantly. I'm not sure why he should be among the favorites at this point in the season.

He was hyped so much he'll have to be terrible to fall out of the competition, I don't like it but it's the truth.

He was hyped so much he'll have to be terrible to fall out of the competition, I don't like it but it's the truth.

That doesn't always happen with the Heisman. If it was close between Tebow and a couple other guys, then sure, he probably gets the nod. But there are a slew of QBs that have better numbers than he does. He probably gets some points for coming back from the concussion to lead Fla over LSU, but if he isn't more impressive the rest of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't even invited to NY.

• 2 weeks later...

Tebow is up there because there have been so many times this season where he has willed the team to victory. Everyone knows that until the UGA game this past weekend, the Gators haven't been amazing on offense, yet Tebow has managed games and taken it into his own hands to get us the W. While the stats aren't there, it's the intangibles Tebow has (that I'm sure the media has kept you informed about) that has kept Tebow towards the top of Heisman ballotting.

Now, finishing out the season like he played against UGA will make it a one-man race, no matter how Ingram or Pike play.

Tebow is up there because there have been so many times this season where he has willed the team to victory. Everyone knows that until the UGA game this past weekend, the Gators haven't been amazing on offense, yet Tebow has managed games and taken it into his own hands to get us the W.

This is due at least partially to his play as well, no?

There is no clear cut candidate this year...Right now, it seems to be McCoy, Tebow and Ingram...Tebow, while statisically not amazing, could win more as an MVP type as opposed to best college player of the year.

That is the talk anyway.

Honestly didn't see it with 3 kids and Halloween responsibilities. I think big game performance should play a factor...and it hasn't been there, yet.

So we're supposed to value your opinion Mr. I-Value-My-Children's-Happiness-More-Than-Football? ;)

Honestly didn't see it with 3 kids and Halloween responsibilities. I think big game performance should play a factor...and it hasn't been there, yet.

I think he will get credit for a big game performance at LSU. The numbers certainly weren't there that day, but he was coming fresh off a concussion and he made plays when he had to against the #4 team (at the time) in one of the most hostile environments for a visiting player. The voters love that kind of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Ingram's gotta be the frontrunner now, right?

Huge performance in the biggest game of the year thus far.

Ingram's season stats:

175 carries, 1,148 yards, 6.6 YPC, 8 TD.

24 catches, 216 yards, 3 TD.

Agreed, he's really been the only consistent superstar in college football this year on a team that's worth a damn. I definitely agree with the Tebow seniment though - no player wills his team to win like Tebow does.

I think a lot depends on the SEC champ. If Ingram runs over the great Florida D and Bama wins, he seals the deal. If Tebow leads his team to another SEC Champ and To the BCS title game, then I would think he wins it based on MVP-type consideration rather than stats. The media loves him too much to not think that situation is plausible.

Is there really anyone else in the race?? McCoy is garbage. Like OU last year, McCoy and Texas would not be able to stand up to an SEC defense like UF or Bama. Pike can't be considered because the Big East isn't real football. The Houston QB had to go undefeated to be considered. Anyone?

Agreed, he's really been the only consistent superstar in college football this year on a team that's worth a damn. I definitely agree with the Tebow seniment though - no player wills his team to win like Tebow does.

I think a lot depends on the SEC champ. If Ingram runs over the great Florida D and Bama wins, he seals the deal. If Tebow leads his team to another SEC Champ and To the BCS title game, then I would think he wins it based on MVP-type consideration rather than stats. The media loves him too much to not think that situation is plausible.

Is there really anyone else in the race?? McCoy is garbage. Like OU last year, McCoy and Texas would not be able to stand up to an SEC defense like UF or Bama. Pike can't be considered because the Big East isn't real football. The Houston QB had to go undefeated to be considered. Anyone?

Gerhart from Stanford and Spiller from Clemson should be considered, but i's really down to Ingram and Tebow right now, IMO.

Archived