Number 13 Prospect: SS - Pedro Florimon

Tony-OH

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another good Frederick player due for a major test at Bowie.

If PF's defense is major league ready, that's good to know and might kick him up a few notches for me. Still, I just don't see PF as an everyday major leaguer and I'd have him ranked much lower.

Lucky 13 is a fine spot for a guy with this profile. Offensively it seems like he could be anything from an average MLB starter to Robert Andino 2009. Defensively he sounds similar to Andino, who also has great range but sometimes fails to make the routine play.

To hoosiers' comment, at this point on the list I think there's nobody left who is likely to be a major league everyday player. IMO, Florimon's chances are as good as anyone's, maybe better. The other position players who have a shot are either two levels or more below and just as speculative (Avery, Hoes, Givens) or at Florimon's level but highly unlikely to be everyday players (Angle). There are a few pitchers who have the upside of MLB starters but they are all sort of 5-1 shots IMO, and 10-1 for actually being a pitcher more valuable than a starting SS.

Florimon's offense is inconsistent, and some scouts have concerns about his swing and approach, but the bottom line is that he has some pop and is willing to take a walk. I hope he gets plenty of time to work with Terry Crowley in Spring Training--if he can progress as a hitter, the payoff to the organization could be very high.

Meanwhile...the more Spoone drops, the worse the implied prognosis for his shoulder. :(

I saw a bunch of Frederick games this past year, I don't see a major leaguer in this guy. He looked slick with the glove in the field, but that bat won't play at the big league level. He flailed haplessly in the dirt every time up. I think one game I saw him he struck out 4 times. . .

that dog won't hunt....

I saw a bunch of Frederick games this past year, I don't see a major leaguer in this guy. He looked slick with the glove in the field, but that bat won't play at the big league level. He flailed haplessly in the dirt every time up. I think one game I saw him he struck out 4 times. . .

that dog won't hunt....

Considering the wild fluctuations in his season, maybe it depends on when you saw him play? It's kind of like if you saw Adam Jones in April/May vs. seeing him in July/August. You'd think you were seeing two different players.

Florimon's offense is inconsistent, and some scouts have concerns about his swing and approach, but the bottom line is that he has some pop and is willing to take a walk. I hope he gets plenty of time to work with Terry Crowley in Spring Training--if he can progress as a hitter, the payoff to the organization could be very high.

Meanwhile...the more Spoone drops, the worse the implied prognosis for his shoulder. :(

Agreed. In fact, I have some concerns about too much movement in his wrists as he loads. But I also think if he gets the right hitting coach (read Crowley) they might be able to get that out of him and they'll have something. He needs to get stronger though. Maybe he's on one this off season, but if not, he needs to get on a strength program immediately.

Tony, did any of the scouts/coaches you talk to give you a reason for Florimon's resurgence? What did he change from last year to this year? Was it mechanical, his work ethic, or both? Is there good reason to believe that he will continue to make a concious effort to improve his game?

Tony, did any of the scouts/coaches you talk to give you a reason for Florimon's resurgence? What did he change from last year to this year? Was it mechanical, his work ethic, or both? Is there good reason to believe that he will continue to make a concious effort to improve his game?

One scout told me last year that Florimon was the best player on the field, and that was when he was hitting about .200, so the potential has always been there. Part of the reason I believe he was so terrible in Delmarve had to do with the fact he's a better right-handed hitter than left and Delmarva is particularly tough on right-handed hitter (I've always wondered if there's something in the eyes of right-handed hitters in Purdue Stadium due to the extreme home/away splits for most right-handed hitters who've played there).

Saying that, he needs to get stronger and if I'm the Orioles, I'd have him on a serious strength program this year even if it meant sending him out to Arizona to work with the great off season trainers there.

I'd also have him work with Crowley in the offseason to see if he get that movement out of his hands. If those things happen, I think we could have our shortstop of the future.

he needs to get stronger and if I'm the Orioles, I'd have him on a serious strength program this year even if it meant sending him out to Arizona to work with the great off season trainers there.

It seems like he did get stronger in 2009, at least judging from him .161 ISO, which was way up from what he did in 2006-08.

I'm really surprised by this pick, but that's more of a reflection about my own background then it is on Florimon, I hope.

What is his ceiling as a hitter? What about ML comps?

Is Erick Aybar a decent comp of what he could potentially become if things click?

One scout told me last year that Florimon was the best player on the field, and that was when he was hitting about .200, so the potential has always been there. Part of the reason I believe he was so terrible in Delmarve had to do with the fact he's a better right-handed hitter than left and Delmarva is particularly tough on right-handed hitter (I've always wondered if there's something in the eyes of right-handed hitters in Purdue Stadium due to the extreme home/away splits for most right-handed hitters who've played there).

Saying that, he needs to get stronger and if I'm the Orioles, I'd have him on a serious strength program this year even if it meant sending him out to Arizona to work with the great off season trainers there.

I'd also have him work with Crowley in the offseason to see if he get that movement out of his hands. If those things happen, I think we could have our shortstop of the future.

Wow Tony it is great to hear that coming from you. Both of those are do-able things. I'm really excited now to see how Pedro gets going next year.

Archived