With the offseason essentially over...

Sports Guy

What grade would you give AM for what he has done this offseason?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give AM for what he has done this offseason?

The reason I find it hard to criticize AM on this is, we have no idea what trades he explored and what reaction he got. I'm not too fussed about it because I don't think there was any player who really had to be traded this winter to maximize his value or to allow some part of our plan to develop. If I was as hell-bent on getting playing time for Pie as you are, I might have felt they needed to trade Scott even if they got little in return, but I don't feel that way. I think Pie can get enough AB to make progress this year even with Scott on the roster.

Yea but its going to have to come because of injuries and that's not right...Because we know that DT can't be creative with the lineup and rest guys and move them around properly.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester

C+

Nothing shocking...

It is kind of weird though....I did not want Atkins on our team before we signed him - got a bit more optimistic when they talked about Crow seeing something he can fix, maybe. Now, it seems as if there is an anti-Atkins bandwagon riding into town before he puts an uniform on !?!? Maybe it's my preference for underdogs...

I felt that there was not much out there to get much inspired about. There was not going to be a "Gut the Farm" for AGon trade.

Truly uninspired winter - but rather that than moves just to make moves...

Who cares? This has no relevance whatsoever...If there were none or ten...It wouldn't make it any more or less likely that the Orioles could do something like this.

I think it is as simple as coming down to what your baseline is for grading off-season moves. I just can't bring myself to call a decision to essentially tread water for a season as an "above average" off-season. So a "nothing long term, little short term" off-season would be a flat C.

I understand it a lot of people here are of the opinion that standing pat is an affirmative decision that requires discipline to stick to -- I just disagree. I don't think it's lazy at all, and I don't think it's a "knock" against AM. But it certainly isn't innovative or aggressive, in any way. And I think that's the box you have to shoot for to win in the division. Anything towards that box gets me off a "C"ish grade. It just wasn't there this off-season, at all.

I think it is as simple as coming down to what your baseline is for grading off-season moves. I just can't bring myself to call a decision to essentially tread water for a season as an "above average" off-season. So a "nothing long term, little short term" off-season would be a flat C.

I understand it a lot of people here are of the opinion that standing pat is an affirmative decision that requires discipline to stick to -- I just disagree. I don't think it's lazy at all, and I don't think it's a "knock" against AM. But it certainly isn't innovative or aggressive, in any way. And I think that's the box you have to shoot for to win in the division. Anything towards that box gets me off a "C"ish grade. It just wasn't there this off-season, at all.

Right..let's face it, this offseason would have been a good one for 2 reasons:

1) He obtained better stop gaps....IE guys with more talent who could also fetch more in trades or have potential type A or B status.

2) He got something for the long term.

Other than doing nothing, AM did nothing this offseason to help our future teams out against Boston and NY and really, shouldn't he always be doing that?

I mean, I am glad he didn't do foolish things but I also think sensible things were out there that he didn't take advantage of either.

Yea but its going to have to come because of injuries and that's not right...Because we know that DT can't be creative with the lineup and rest guys and move them around properly.

I don't know that. You sometimes write as if Trembley is some sort of low grade moron. The guy has a master's degree in psychology. He is certainly capable of figuring out how to get Pie ~400 AB if that is what he wants to do. Whether he wants to do that will depend on how Pie and other players are performing, I suspect.

I don't know that. You sometimes write as if Trembley is some sort of low grade moron. The guy has a master's degree in psychology. He is certainly capable of figuring out how to get Pie ~400 AB if that is what he wants to do. Whether he wants to do that will depend on how Pie and other players are performing, I suspect.

Yea because playing a guy once a week(at most) really gives you a good handle on how he is performing. :rolleyes:

Yea because playing a guy once a week(at most) really gives you a good handle on how he is performing. :rolleyes:

If April comes and goes and Pie has started fewer than, say, 8 of the 23 games and has fewer than 30-35 PA for the month, I will be concerned. Let's see what happens.

Who cares? This has no relevance whatsoever...If there were none or ten...It wouldn't make it any more or less likely that the Orioles could do something like this.

Not sure why you choose to pick on the last question of the points made.

You may not want to give credit to AM for doing nothing and insist that AM should have may some moves, but that's exactly my point. I am skeptical that the moves you would have made would have improved the organization. I'm not interested in moving Britton, DH, Mickolio and the gang for perceived incremental talent improvements because a) there is some quality upside to those guys and b) no one is going to pay for that upside with difference making major league talent.

IF everyone is healthy and the roster doesn't change significantly, I guarantee that Pie doesn't start 8 of the first 23 games.

Yea, I will take that bet....Set the over/under at 7.5...I take the under...provided health and no roster changes.

I will be surprised if Pie gets 5 starts in the first 23 games.

Not sure why you choose to pick on the last question of the points made.

You may not want to give credit to AM for doing nothing and insist that AM should have may some moves, but that's exactly my point. I am skeptical that the moves you would have made would have improved the organization. I'm not interested in moving Britton, DH, Mickolio and the gang for perceived incremental talent improvements because a) there is some quality upside to those guys and b) no one is going to pay for that upside with difference making major league talent.

Glad to hear it...You want to keep role players and not trade for everyday, long term solutions. Got it.

He's got a masters in education. He's done some graduate work in sports psychology.

Just clarifying.

Archived