4/7 O's vs Rays

Big Mac

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles 2-run 1st.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xcvc4u_orioles-2-run-1st-4-7-10_sport"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xcvc4u_orioles-2-run-1st-4-7-10_sport" width="480" height="360" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcvc4u_orioles-2-run-1st-4-7-10_sport">Orioles 2-run 1st (4/7/10)</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/gatecitycanes">gatecitycanes</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/sport">Check out more sports and extreme sports videos.</a></i>

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Thank goodness a minor league system is not judged on wins and losses, because they are putting many Ws up of late. Delmarva is pretty much an embarrassment right now from the hitting side. The first real wave of international position prospects have been left wanting after the first month or so of the season. The Shorebirds are scoring a league low 2.29 runs per game and slashing a league worse .182/.259/.263/.523. The Tides pitching outside of Povich and McDermott to a lesser extent has been pretty bad minus a few decent relieves in Vespi, Krook and Charles.  Elias/Sig's thought on being able to identify pitching talent through pitch shapes and spin rates through the draft after the 10th round has been a pretty big failure. Armbruster was the flag ship pitcher and he's been a flop this year so far, though I had already seen major red flags from him last year. Not surprisingly these guys struggle at the high levels and why they were available that late. Glad to see Elias made a change in his draft philosophy last year and went after some younger, higher ceiling guys like Forret vs 21-year old juniors in those later rounds.   
    • Akin currently has a FIP of 1.11. He’s struck out 15 and walked 3 in 10 innings without yielding a homer.  I consider that well.
    • There are several advantages to a head first slide.    With a head first slide, the mass of your body (torso) is lunging forward, not pulling backward - you get to the bag quicker. When you tuck a leg to slide, your foot tends to raise up and not hit the front of the bag, whereas, with your hand you can hit the front of the bag and maintain contact with it. You can adjust the direction of your slide going head first and even switch which arm you extend to touch the bag (swim move) to avoid a tag.  Both can have their place.  I was taught to slide with the right leg tucked going into second base.  That way, your face/chest/crotch are not exposed to the throw from the catcher if the fielder misses the throw, and you're facing the outfield and can find the ball easier if there is an errant throw so you can decide quicker if you can take another base. 
    • Briefly, here is the method I use with a DirecTV DVR for all sorts of timing in football analysis: 1. From a recording on your DVR, hit pause at some point shortly before the ball is released by the pitcher 2. While still on pause, use the FF button to advance the video 1 "frame" at a time.  On 1080i, the screen is redrawn 30 times per second, so each click is 1/30th of a second.  On 720p or 1080p, it's 60 frames per second.  So timing should be accurate to either 1/30th (0.033) or 1/60th (0.017) of a second 3. Advance the video to the point of contact--It is easy to go forward, but difficult to go backward, so you need to advance slowly to fin the closest point 4. From that point, count the number of FF clicks until Gunnar hits 3rd base, you should actually be able to see the image move with each click, so it's easier to count these than you might think 5. Divide clicks counted by 30 to get seconds for the event.  For example, if you get 322 clicks, it's 10 and 22/30 seconds (10.73 sec).  This assumes the MASN broadcast is in 1080i. I've been using this method for more than 15 years and you can confirm calibration with an NFL game where the clock is on the screen.  Since you don't have that in baseball, you just have to know whether it's 30 or 60 clicks per second and you'll know that by whether it's an 11 or 22-second triple.
    • Wait, Drungo isn't allowed to make jokes? I thought that post was hilarious given the context. I think better of him for it, though I've always thought highly of him.
    • By the way, something they absolutely need to legislate is the size of the oven mitt. I forget who it was, one of these guys had one that was basically giving him 18 inch fingers.
    • You can also slide to the side of the bag and reach back... I'd like to see data both on safety and success rates for each one before making a call.  Either way, I agree, a team probably shouldn't on their own put themselves at a competitive disadvantage by voluntarily imposing rules on itself. So if this is a problem, then the proper way to deal with it would be to change the rules like they have with catcher's interference (which I support). 
  • Popular Contributors