Bloody Weekend for top ranked teams...

geschinger

Yeah and Jimmy Johnson was talking about how the Ohio St University had the easiest road to the NC and that they wouldn't lose again. I'm just thinking yeah, let tOSU go undefeated, LSU will win out and move back into the #2 slot and then knock the living **** out of tOSU in the NC. All of this while we'll have several 1 loss teams with a legitimate beef for being held out of the NC. tOSU hasn't beaten anyone and they play in a crappy conference. This season has been crazy, hopefully it will bring about some change.

They still have to go to Penn St and UM, plus at home against Wisconsin and Illinois, not that easy. I wouldn't call that conference crappy either, they just don't have any really good teams other than OSU.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They still have to go to Penn St and UM, plus at home against Wisconsin and Illinois, not that easy. I wouldn't call that conference crappy either, they just don't have any really good teams other than OSU.

Crappy was too strong of a word, but it's not a very good conference. It's full of 2 loss teams and one undefeated team whose hardest game so far has been against a Purdue team that is 1-2 in the Big 10. I see them losing to at least one of Michigan and Penn St and wouldn't be shocked if they lost to both. Geez, they were held to only 20 points by Akron.

Crappy was too strong of a word, but it's not a very good conference. It's full of 2 loss teams and one undefeated team whose hardest game so far has been against a Purdue team that is 1-2 in the Big 10. I see them losing to at least one of Michigan and Penn St and wouldn't be shocked if they lost to both. Geez, they were held to only 20 points by Akron.

An Akron team that lost at home to Temple, mind you. I do think Michigan will beat them, but not Penn State.

I really don't think anyone is really that good this year. That said, BC is one of the top teams this year. They can throw the ball, and stop the run very well. Tribble is also a very good player. I was counting on BC losing one of their last games, but I really don't see it happening. I don't think VT, Miami, Clemson, or FSU are that good. May come down to the UMD-BC game. Might be a 3 way tie at 7-1 in conference. Tiebreaker is too confusing, but I'll post it here if anyone can figure out what would happen if Wake wins out, MD wins out, and BC wins out except for UMD.

Two-Team Tie

1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams

2. Records of the tied teams within the division.

3. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall record.(divisional) Conference record and proceeding though the division. Multiple ties within the division broken from first to last.

4. Overall record versus all common non-divisional opponents.

5. Combined record vs. all non-divisional teams.

6. Record versus common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.

7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the end of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game.

8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw.

Three (or More) Team Tie

(Once tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker format is used)

1. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams

2. Records of the tied teams within the division.

3. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional or conference) record, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last.

4. Overall record for non-divisional teams.

5. Combined record versus all common non-divisional teams.

6. Record versus common non-divisional with the best overall Conference (divisional) and non-divisional record and proceeding through the other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within the division.

7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the conclusion of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the ACC Championship Game.

8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw.

I really don't think anyone is really that good this year. That said, BC is one of the top teams this year. They can throw the ball, and stop the run very well.

BC is up there by default. They are one of the only undefeateds left and they have an up and coming QB. I don't think they are one of the top teams this year, they haven't played anyone. Their best win was against #15 Georgia Tech, who have since lost twice more and are 2-3 in the ACC. GA Tech barely beat a pretty crappy Miami team. BC beat a horrible Notre Dame team by only 13 points. They won't be at the top for long because I'm almost positive that Va Tech kills them. Hell, Maryland most likely beats them.

Not necessarily easy games but not exactly intimidating matchups either. Michigan may be the only team they play that ends up being a top 25 team.

God Forbid Ohio State and South Florida meet in the title game. My guess is neither team will be there. Oklahoma/LSU is my pick for now.

What a great story that would be to have a school like USF crowned National Champions. But I agree with you that they won't be there at the end. It's just too hard to make it through a BEast schedule unscathed.

Not necessarily easy games but not exactly intimidating matchups either. Michigan may be the only team they play that ends up being a top 25 team.

So now it's more meaningful where teams end up compared to where they are when they play them?;)

I mostly agree, but at Michigan is quite tough, their a better team than they showed early, and a very good team against offenses that don't spread you out much.

What a great story that would be to have a school like USF crowned National Champions. But I agree with you that they won't be there at the end. It's just too hard to make it through a BEast schedule unscathed.

If there's no sarcasm here, you really should take a step back and try to be more objective when it comes to your conference, the Big East isn't that great, it's much improved for sure, but besides the top 2 teams, there's no teams that are really much or any better than the Big Ten schools you seem to be down on. Your sounding like a SEC fan here. And since USF already beat WVU, their conference schedule isn't that tough from here on out. At Rutgers isn't easy, but MD went there and won by 10, and Cincy also went there and came out with a win. At UConn, and home against Cincy are somewhat tough. I think OSU's remaining schedule is tougher than USF's.

So now it's more meaningful where teams end up compared to where they are when they play them?;)

I mostly agree, but at Michigan is quite tough, their a better team than they showed early, and a very good team against offenses that don't spread you out much.

No, to be honest I worded it that way because I didn't feel like looking back to see if they've beaten any teams that were ranked when they played them. Other than Purdue who might have been barely a top 25 team when they played OSU I don't know that they've played any.

If there's no sarcasm here, you really should take a step back and try to be more objective when it comes to your conference, the Big East isn't that great, it's much improved for sure, but besides the top 2 teams, there's no teams that are really much or any better than the Big Ten schools you seem to be down on. Your sounding like a SEC fan here. And since USF already beat WVU, their conference schedule isn't that tough from here on out. At Rutgers isn't easy, but MD went there and won by 10, and Cincy also went there and came out with a win. At UConn, and home against Cincy are somewhat tough. I think OSU's remaining schedule is tougher than USF's.

The Big 10 is in a down year, usually it compared favorably to the BEast. But I do believe if you look at any of the attempts to objectively rank conferences the BEast is considered better this year than the B10 and barely behind the B12. OSU certainly doesn't have any games on its schedule that are as tough as winning @ Auburn or beating WVU.

Being honest though, I will readily admit I'm a bit of a homer for the BEast but they won't let me down. While WVU is likely not going to get the chance to play for a title the way things sit now I think the BEast's chance of 2 BCS teams is actually enhanced by what has happened so far this year. And even before knowing the matchups, I am confident in predicting the BEast will make me proud again during the Bowl season.

The Big 10 is in a down year, usually it compared favorably to the BEast. But I do believe if you look at any of the attempts to objectively rank conferences the BEast is considered better this year than the B10 and barely behind the B12. OSU certainly doesn't have any games on its schedule that are as tough as winning @ Auburn or beating WVU.

Being honest though, I will readily admit I'm a bit of a homer for the BEast but they won't let me down. While WVU is likely not going to get the chance to play for a title the way things sit now I think the BEast's chance of 2 BCS teams is actually enhanced by what has happened so far this year. And even before knowing the matchups, I am confident in predicting the BEast will make me proud again during the Bowl season.

I didn't say the Big Ten was the better conference, but USF's remaining schedule is not tougher than OSU's imo. Probably easier.

Comments like they won't let you down is over the top imo. You also were very confident WVU would play for the championship, they obviously let you down. Louisville has obviously let you down. Rutgers has let you down.

They could get 2 BCS schools, we shall see, but WVU could win out and not end up with 1 win against a team that finishes in the top 25. Their only remaining game against a ranked team is at Cincy who is ranked 23rd, they can easily fall out of the rankings.

I didn't say the Big Ten was the better conference, but USF's remaining schedule is not tougher than OSU's imo. Probably easier.

Comments like they won't let you down is over the top imo. You also were very confident WVU would play for the championship, they obviously let you down. Louisville has obviously let you down. Rutgers has let you down.

They could get 2 BCS schools, we shall see, but WVU could win out and not end up with 1 win against a team that finishes in the top 25. Their only remaining game against a ranked team is at Cincy who is ranked 23rd, they can easily fall out of the rankings.

That's what is so great about a conference as deep as the BEast. :D Louisville disappoints and USF steps up. Rutgers disappoints and Cincy steps up. I do think USF will have an off day and lose a game, maybe even this weekend where they have a tough road game and might be suffering a bit of big head syndrome seeing where they are ranked. It'll be a classic letdown scenario. If they lose once and WVU wins out USF wins the conference and gets the auto bid and WVU should be high enough ranked to get an at large bid.

Yeah, that's very possible, but again, WVU wouldn't have exactly beat anyone of significance to get where they'd be.

I'll sum up my thoughts on this by saying it's annoying enough to listen/read SEC fans talk the way you're, but at least they have some reason to do so, a Big East fan should not be acting like an SEC fan at this point. Maybe in a few years, just like maybe UCF will be a Miam/FSU type program in a few years, but as of now, it's very premature.

Yeah, that's very possible, but again, WVU wouldn't have exactly beat anyone of significance to get where they'd be.

I'll sum up my thoughts on this by saying it's annoying enough to listen/read SEC fans talk the way you're, but at least they have some reason to do so, a Big East fan should not be acting like an SEC fan at this point. Maybe in a few years, just like maybe UCF will be a Miam/FSU type program in a few years, but as of now, it's very premature.

Heh, sorry if it's annoying like I said, I readily admit to a tiny bit of homerism and occasionaly a smidgen of hyperbole. With the conference on the brink of destruction after the evil Swofford attacked for the conference to be where it's at today makes BEast fans proud. Maybe even a bit too proud of the conference.

Archived