Three straight weeks now he has not looked sharp. I'm not a fan at #3, given what else is available. Of course, there is time for him to right the ship.

He's a nice pick somewhere from 10-15, but not worth it at #3 for a guy who projects as a # 3 starter at best.

It's a little hard to read those stats, but does he really have a BB rate of ~4.5/9 IP? If so, is that as much of a factor as I think it is?

36 BB 112 K in 74.2 innings. That's nearly a walk every two innings.

He did have a game a couple of weeks ago where he walked nine in two or three innings, so that would throw off the ratio somewhat--if you discount that game.

Even so... That's not good.

OTOH he's averaging three K per two innings, more than 13K/9.

It's a little hard to read those stats, but does he really have a BB rate of ~4.5/9 IP? If so, is that as much of a factor as I think it is?

Yes. Though he's apparently been throwing with a tight pec, and his arm action has been stiffer recently (closer to what I saw over the summer) so maybe it isn't as bad as it looks. But command was a question entering the season, so it's not something you'd want to see him struggle with as we near the draft.

Interesting overall risk profile re: injury/control/college experience/upside. Doesn't seem worthy of a #3 pick to me, though he could turn out to be really good really soon for someone if things fall the right way for him.

Archived