O's are unlikely to get #1 pick in the 2011 Draft

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any chance that Rendon could pull a Mike Leake with whatever team gets him and start right away in the majors? Is he that good?

Remember, this is the Orioles we are talking about. Conservativeness is the key to success, as we see year in and year out. Never take risks ok. Oh yeah, and as you know, Leake and Rendon play on two different sides of the ball, so take that into account as well.

Despite my post, Cole doesn't seem like a Baltimore pick. Nowhere near the control BAL would be looking for. His raw stuff is pretty sick, though.

I could definitely see them also going after someone like Purke or Jungmann or Meyer or Armstrong, depending on how the next 12 months unfold.

As you said the next 12 months will have these guys swithcing places, but I'm curious how you would rank the current crop of college pitchers: Cole, Purke, Jungman, Gray, Armstrong, Meyer (am I missing anybody?)

So you think Jordan & Co. focus on control pitchers in the draft? If so (and assuming Rendon is gone), who would you expect BAL to select if they were picking #2. I think I would be pushing for Cole because he has that sick raw stuff that our current arms are lacking. I've heard Cole compared to Verlander though I'm not sure how accurate the comparison.

After reviewing the current standings, I have to agree. The Pirates are absolutely awful.

Yeah, but now that they have gone full fledged youth movement this season, and don't really have pieces for a fire sale, I see them getting better down the stretch. Plus they have HOU to play.

Alvarez will be up this or next week, McCutchen is really solid, LaRoche has been playing well (he'll slide to 1st). Duke is a better pitcher than he has been, same with Maholm. Tabata can flat out rake, he hits the ball hard every time. Lincoln is up now and should help a bit, and G. Hernandez plays a HECK of a CF, whenever they bring him up.

They'll win some more down the stretch, book it.

As you said the next 12 months will have these guys swithcing places, but I'm curious how you would rank the current crop of college pitchers: Cole, Purke, Jungman, Gray, Armstrong, Meyer (am I missing anybody?)

So you think Jordan & Co. focus on control pitchers in the draft? If so (and assuming Rendon is gone), who would you expect BAL to select if they were picking #2. I think I would be pushing for Cole because he has that sick raw stuff that our current arms are lacking. I've heard Cole compared to Verlander though I'm not sure how accurate the comparison.

A lot will depend on how everyone looks over the summer, but for me right now it's something like:

Cole/Jungmann

Purke

Gray

Meyer

Armstrong

Bauer

Hultzen

There are more that could be considered potential 1st Round guys, but these are the kids I saw the most this year and would have at the top of my list right now. I like Stilson, but not sure if he will get a shot to start. If he's a BP arm for good, he'd be my #1 relief arm on the board (assuming Gray will continue to start as a pro -- he's undersized with big stuff).

If limited to an arm, right now, it would be between Cole/Jungmann/Purke. Jungmann requires you to project, but I like his "now" stuff. Cole easily has the best pure stuff. Purke's arm slot makes me a little nervous, but so far his CH has been enough to keep RHH honest. LHH have been dominated.

A lot will depend on how everyone looks over the summer, but for me right now it's something like:

Cole/Jungmann

Purke

Gray

Meyer

Armstrong

Bauer

Hultzen

There are more that could be considered potential 1st Round guys, but these are the kids I saw the most this year and would have at the top of my list right now. I like Stilson, but not sure if he will get a shot to start. If he's a BP arm for good, he'd be my #1 relief arm on the board (assuming Gray will continue to start as a pro -- he's undersized with big stuff).

If limited to an arm, right now, it would be between Cole/Jungmann/Purke. Jungmann requires you to project, but I like his "now" stuff. Cole easily has the best pure stuff. Purke's arm slot makes me a little nervous, but so far his CH has been enough to keep RHH honest. LHH have been dominated.

Thanks, Great stuff. I was honing in on the top 5-7ish arms if we had to pick today and Rendon (for whatever reason) was not an option. Do you think the pick from the Cole/Jungmann/Purke trio would be a higher rated prospect than any of the Matusz/Tillman/Arrieta trio?

Thanks, Great stuff. I was honing in on the top 5-7ish arms if we had to pick today and Rendon (for whatever reason) was not an option. Do you think the pick from the Cole/Jungmann/Purke trio would be a higher rated prospect than any of the Matusz/Tillman/Arrieta trio?

Would likely be right up there. Matusz was really a special college pitcher -- it's rare to have someone that can COMMAND four good offerings at that level. But Cole, Purke and Jungmann each of the potential to put together a Price-/Matusz-level junior year (sophomore for Purke). I would put Cole at the top of BAL's prospect list. Wouldn't surprise me if Purke and Jungmann were at that level by this time next year.

Would likely be right up there. Matusz was really a special college pitcher -- it's rare to have someone that can COMMAND four good offerings at that level. But Cole, Purke and Jungmann each of the potential to put together a Price-/Matusz-level junior year (sophomore for Purke). I would put Cole at the top of BAL's prospect list. Wouldn't surprise me if Purke and Jungmann were at that level by this time next year.

My thinking exactly. I love everthing about Matusz even though he doesn't bring the dominate power stuff. Cole could be a nice compliment to Matusz with his special power stuff (Jungman as well), though control is a weakness. A rotation 1-3 of Cole, Matusz, and Arrieta strikes me as a playoff caliber rotation.

Disclaimer to all: I'm not advocating taking a pitcher over a bat, just exploring the options if a guy like Rendon is not available. :laughlol:

No doubt that there is a lot of ball to play which gives us the ability to lose a lot of game. :laughlol: It just wouldn't surprise me if a handful of the really bad teams make this a much closer race.

Yeah, but now that they have gone full fledged youth movement this season, and don't really have pieces for a fire sale, I see them getting better down the stretch. Plus they have HOU to play.

Alvarez will be up this or next week, McCutchen is really solid, LaRoche has been playing well (he'll slide to 1st). Duke is a better pitcher than he has been, same with Maholm. Tabata can flat out rake, he hits the ball hard every time. Lincoln is up now and should help a bit, and G. Hernandez plays a HECK of a CF, whenever they bring him up.

They'll win some more down the stretch, book it.

Yes but...

The O's have a 5.5 game "lead"

The O's, in recent history, have played worse in Aug/Sept

The O's play in the AL East

I think they have a real good shot.

Im in no way advocating not signing Machado but here is the question who would you rather have. If machado doesn't sign we would have pick 1 and 4 most likely.

Machado/Rendon

Or

Rendon/Jungmann

Im assuming Purke, and Cole are off the board.

Im in no way advocating not signing Machado but here is the question who would you rather have. If machado doesn't sign we would have pick 1 and 4 most likely.

Machado/Rendon

Or

Rendon/Jungmann

Im assuming Purke, and Cole are off the board.

I'd prefer Rendon/Jungmann.

I'd prefer Rendon/Jungmann.

I think I agree. Jungmann would move alot faster and has TOR stuff. I think there is a much higher risk of Machado being Matt Bush then a guy like Jungmann not atleast turning into a quality 3-5 starter.

Archived