O's are unlikely to get #1 pick in the 2011 Draft

I don't know. With each game we play, it is becoming clearer that this is a 100-loss team. Next June should be fun when we have the #1 pick.

I agree. This team is awful. They need to go 45-61 in order to lose 100 games, and I don't see how they are going to do that well. Remember, this can get really bad in late August and September, especially with the rest of the AL east in contention. I don't see how this team doesn't lose at least 100 games this year. They only have 1 more win than the '88 team did at this point in the season, and you can't get much worse than that.

I'll be watching the train wreck too. Hopefully, things will get back on track next year. I haven't lost hope for Reimold, who clearly is still struggling with his achilies, and Pie is still in the mix if he can stay healthy.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current standings:

Cleveland -- 6.5 games behind

Arizona, Seattle, and Pittsburgh -- 7 games behind

Kansas City and Houston -- 7.5 games behind

Milwaukee -- 8 games behind

Chicago White Sox -- 9.5 games behind

Chicago Cubs -- 11 games behind

Our current winning % is .271, which over a 162 game schedule comes out to a 44-118 record. The last team to lose that many games in a season was the 2003 Detroit Tigers, and they didn't even get the #1 pick out of it (although they did snag Justin Verlander with the #2 pick.

We still have 39 games left vs. AL East teams (.219 winning % against so far).

And of our remaining 103 games 80 are against teams that right now have a winning record.

Don't jinx us!

It's a friggin' mortal lock, buddy. I'm no jinx, don't sweat it.

They are just laughably bad. If you want to lead pipe lock it, I'm on board with your other thread about just dumping all the veterans and trotting the kids out there.

Funny thing is, they'd likely get better just out of pure dumb luck.

But they're still a mortal lock.

Just waiting for next June when BAL selects Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA with first overall pick --- Hangout explodes....

Unless Rendon has a career ending injury or a majorly disappointing 2011 season, I would quit following this team if that happens.

Not even the Orioles should screw that pick up.

Since it's been pointed out that there are 4 or 5 players that could be huge impact players in the 2011 draft, is there any way we do NOT sign Machado just so we get the #4 in the draft next year?

This has been brought up MANY times already, but no, the O's need to sign Machado, and they will. You don't punt your draft pick for a future draft pick, at least not with a guy like Machado.

Besides financial reasons, there is no guarantee that the 4th pick next year will project to be as good as Machado does right now.

IF (and it's always IF with MLB draft picks) -

IF Machado lives up to his projections

and IF the O's draft Rendon

and IF Rendon lives up to his projections,

then the O's will have an OUTSTANDING left side of their infield from 2014-2019 and beyond.

Unless Rendon has a career ending injury or a majorly disappointing 2011 season, I would quit following this team if that happens.

Not even the Orioles should screw that pick up.

Here's hoping I can hold you to this, if it comes to fruition ;)

Archived