Of course, it depends on what it would take to get him...And the other thing you have to consider is what can the players you would deal for him net you in return.

For example, if Guthrie nets you Chris Davis, then you have to consider that when thinking about trading him in a deal for Fielder, if the Brewers were interested in Guthrie as part of the deal.

The trade chip dilemma is an issue. We only have so many chips, but I think Fielder is still likely to help the Orioles more and more immediately than Chris Davis.

Fielder is a #4 hitter and Davis is more like a #7 at this point. The Orioles need an established difference making player, and while I like Davis, Fielder fills that need more.

His swing fits the ballpark, his personality is needed in the clubhouse and let's face it we aren't getting AGon as he'll go to Boston or re-up with SD.

Fielder is our best opportunity for an established, difference-making, power hitting 1B man.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is Fielder's personality needed? The perception I have of him (and I have no basis to back this up, only what I see on video highlights, which don't tell the full story) is that he's petulant, immature, and moody. He's also more of a DH than a first baseman. He's definitely a slugger unlike anything the Orioles have. But with his weight and other issues how much longer does he last? Will he last enough to make it worth it? I have my own doubts about it.

His swing fits the ballpark, his personality is needed in the clubhouse and let's face it we aren't getting AGon as he'll go to Boston or re-up with SD.

I agree that we need a big bat as soon as possible, but I am not sold on his clubhouse presence. I have never really heard of him being a leader.

Why is Fielder's personality needed? The perception I have of him (and I have no basis to back this up, only what I see on video highlights, which don't tell the full story) is that he's petulant, immature, and moody. He's also more of a DH than a first baseman. He's definitely a slugger unlike anything the Orioles have. But with his weight and other issues how much longer does he last? Will he last enough to make it worth it? I have my own doubts about it.

Yeah, this is kinda what I was getting at, you just did a better job of it. I don't have much basis, but don't hear great things. For some reason, I know a lot of people from Wisconsin, and as people that know a lot more about the Brewers than I do, they have never spoken highly of his attitude.

The trade chip dilemma is an issue. We only have so many chips, but I think Fielder is still likely to help the Orioles more and more immediately than Chris Davis.

Fielder is a #4 hitter and Davis is more like a #7 at this point. The Orioles need an established difference making player, and while I like Davis, Fielder fills that need more.

Fielder is our best opportunity for an established, difference-making, power hitting 1B man.

But for how long?

He may be our best oppurtunity to get one for next season..But there is nothing saying he will be here past 2011 unless you give him a stupid contract.

But for how long?

He may be our best oppurtunity to get one for next season..But there is nothing saying he will be here past 2011 unless you give him a stupid contract.

Not just for next season but 2012 as well as he's the only FA power 1B bat that will be realistically available to us after 2011.

He is only under our control through next year.

There is no guarantee that he will re-sign here after 2011.

I know, but he's our only FA option after 2011 anyway. Why risk competition for his services?

And like I said, I doubt he'd say no to a 6/150 contract if it was offered. This is the same debate we as Orioles fans had with Teixeira before he was traded to the Braves.

We shouldn't make the same mistake if we want a bat like Fielder's on the team.

I know, but he's our only option after 2011 anyway. Why risk competition for his services?

And like I said, I doubt he'd say no to a 6/150 contract if it was offered.

25 million a year plus trade all of the talent it will take to get him? That's a pretty awful deal for us and its one I am not sure he even agrees to.

25 million a year plus trade all of the talent it will take to get him? That's a pretty awful deal for us and its one I am not sure he even agrees to.

It all depends if you want to risk him having a monster year next year and going up against the Nationals, Giants, Mets, Mariners and White Sox for his services after 2011...

Or perhaps you think we have a shot at Albert Pujols... :P

Like it or not Howard set the bar for what Fielder will ask for. We either pay it or get a young 1B man via trade and hope they can produce and find a established difference making player at another position to help the lineup, but you'll have a hard time doing that as well.

Werth is your best option and he'll be 32 in 2011. Want to commit to a 5-6 year deal for him?

Power is at a premium these days, and the Orioles need it desperately...

It all depends if you want to risk him having a monster year next year and going up against the Nationals, Giants, Mets, Mariners and White Sox for his services after 2011...

Like it or not Howard set the bar for what Fielder will ask for. We either pay it or get a young 1B man and hope they can produce and find a established difference making player at another position, but you'll have a hard time doing that as well.

I would take my chances...None of those teams are scary in terms of their success, their talent or their salary possibilities.

Like it or not Howard set the bar for what Fielder will ask for. We either pay it or get a young 1B man via trade and hope they can produce and find a established difference making player at another position to help the lineup, but you'll have a hard time doing that as well.

Werth is your best option and he'll be 32 in 2011. Want to commit to a 5-6 year deal for him?

I'd rather make the 5-6 year committment to Werth than pay Fielder $25m plus give up a slew of prospects. I'd also like to target Konerko with an aggressive 3-4 year offer.

I'd rather make the 5-6 year committment to Werth than pay Fielder $25m plus give up a slew of prospects. I'd also like to target Konerko with an aggressive 3-4 year offer.

A 3-4 year deal for a 35 year old Konerko would be horrible.

Do we really want to be paying a 37 year old Werth $18-19 million a season?

Fielder is 26 this season. A 6 year deal would take him until age 32.

I'd rather pay him $25 million per season until age 32 than Konerko $15 million per season from ages 35-38 or Werth $18-19 million from ages 32-37.

You are not getting many prime years from those 32+ year old players.

Those are players that put you "over the top," not cornerstones that can stay with the core of your team.

We need a cornerstone, not a complementary player.

Archived