What we can't afford, is a huge deal for Prince Fielder and several other big deals to replace with free agents the 4-5 young players that we'd need to trade to get him.

The draft still exists, right? International signings are still an option, yes?

Talent can be replenished. Saying that any player in the minors is irreplaceable is false.

Even Zach Britton can be replaced though I wouldn't advocate dealing him for Fielder.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Potato chips are vegan approved.

I thought, and Googled, that he was a vegetarian who doesn't eat fish; not a vegan.

Cheese dude. Cheese. He lives in Wisconsin, where you get a complimentary pound of cheese curds when you fill up the tank. Swiss, american, brie, EZ, and maybe a bluecheese cherry tomato secured to the bun with one of those toothpicks with the celophane flag- man pile that on top of like five Bocca Burgers, and the calories can add up fast. MMM, cheesy calories.

Gotto start the grill.

Standing ovation for ShaneDawg85.

Rep, as well.

What about getting Adam Dunn once his contract is up? Any chance that could occur? That wouldn't cost any young talent.

If Dunn has wised up re: DHing, I imagine that half the AL would be on him, hard.

With some improved play, there is less optimism that the O's will win the Anthony Rendon sweepstakes.

But the consolation prize is likely a TOR prospect. And with an additional arm in the system, perhaps we would be more willing to deal guys like Tillman in packages for Fielder.

Yes please.

I think he's our best shot at landing an established LH power bat.

He'll be the only option after 2011 in FA because Boston will sign/trade for AGon or he'll re-up with SD.

Comcast and Phillie Reporters are telling us that the Orioles are all over the Phillies trying to trade Millwood or Guthrie. Amaro is looking for another SP and Bullpen help.Have not heard any specific Phillie names yet

Comcast and Phillie Reporters are telling us that the Orioles are all over the Phillies trying to trade Millwood or Guthrie. Amaro is looking for another SP and Bullpen help.Have not heard any specific Phillie names yet

That's a lot different than gutting the farm system for Fielder.

Dominic Brown anyone?

LOL... like we need another OF, but Brown is something special. And it's a pipe dream to believe that he can be had for the likes of Millwood or Guthrie.

Alot of the Phillies' top hitting specs are OF'ers, with Tyson Gillies and Anthony Gose included.

Their top infield spec, 1B Jonathan Singleton, is at Single-A Lakewood (league that includes the Shorebirds).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=single001jon

He is hitting .356 with 10 HR's and 43 RBI's in 41 games so far with the Blue Claws.

Phillies are the wrong target for Guthrie anyway. Dodgers, Rangers and Brewers should be the teams we are targeting.

Phillies are the wrong target for Guthrie anyway. Dodgers, Rangers and Brewers should be the teams we are targeting.

Millwood heared it from the fans a lot. He flipped his glove into the stands on his last appearance.Amaro is a trader so I am sure he will get a SP and middle relief somewhere..

Are you saying that Fielder is going to end up with a career ending hip injury? Otherwise I'm not seeing the comparison here.

Yeah, me either. Unless the comparison is that they're both power hitters. Of course, Belle was a relentless competitor, while Fielder doesn't seem to be the same. Belle was also on his way to the Hall until a hip injury ended his career. Fielder isn't in the same class as Belle was.

Let's narrow down the list for suitors for Prince Fielder in FA in 2011

Yankees - he could be their DH, but I doubt they'd spend $150+ million on just a DH

Red Sox - Already have Youkilis at 1B and would prefer Adrian Gonzalez as upgrade instead.

Rays - Can't afford Fielder

Blue Jays - Have Brett Wallace, and I don't see them spending that much on Fielder with the commitment to Wells.

Orioles - Need to fill a major hole at 1B, and have the money to sign him LT

Twins - Already have Justin Morneau

Tigers - Already have Miguel Cabrera

White Sox - Could afford Fielder and Williams does like power bats

Royals - Have a plethora of 1B candidates and may not be able to afford Fielder

Indians - Have Matt Laporta, can't afford Fielder's salary

Rangers - Already have Justin Smoak, can't afford Fielder at this point

Angels - Already have Kendry Morales

Athletics - Fielder likely too expensive, doesn't seem like a Beane player

Mariners - Can afford Fielder, Jack Z is also quite familar with him from his days with the Brewers

Braves - Probably can't afford Fielder and have Freddie Freeman in the system

Mets - Can afford Fielder, would be an upgrade over Davis

Phillies - Committed to Ryan Howard

Marlins - Can't afford Fielder

Nationals - Will likely be in the sweepstakes, have need and $

Cardinals - Likely committed to Pujols but Fielder could be a Plan B.

Reds - Already have Joey Votto

Cubs - May not have enough $ to sign Fielder

Brewers - Can't afford Fielder LT most likely.

Astros - Can't afford Fielder

Pirates - Can't afford Fielder

Padres - Will either re-sign Gonzalez or go with Blanks

Dodgers - Already have James Loney

Giants - Could have Buster Posey at 1B instead of behind the plate, but can also afford Fielder

Rockies - Already committed to Helton for 2012/13

D'Backs - Can't afford Fielder

So that leaves the teams likely contending for his services as the Orioles, White Sox, Mariners, Mets, Nationals and Giants.

Three of those teams play in parks that would hurt Fielder's offense.

The White Sox, Nationals and Orioles are the most attractive of those options IMO for Fielder's career #'s.

Yeah, me either. Unless the comparison is that they're both power hitters. Of course, Belle was a relentless competitor, while Fielder doesn't seem to be the same. Belle was also on his way to the Hall until a hip injury ended his career. Fielder isn't in the same class as Belle was.

Fielder is a competitor, have you not seen how passionate he is?

This is the same guy who wanted to take on the whole Dodgers clubhouse...

Archived