Gods STILL Do Not Answer Letters.

BaltimoreTerp

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1960/10/22/1960_10_22_109_TNY_CARDS_000266305?currentPage=all

On September 28, 1960, against Baltimore at Fenway Park, Boston won 5-4 on a throwing error by Orioles second baseman Billy Klaus that allowed the tying and winning runs to score with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.

The play that put Boston in position for the comeback came in the bottom of the eighth when Ted Williams hit a solo home run, his 29th of the season, off of Jack Fisher to bring Boston within a run 4-3.

That was Ted Williams' 521st home run for his career, his last. In the final at-bat of his career. Fifty years ago tomorrow.

So in tribute, I offer not only one of the greatest pieces of sports journalism ever written, but arguably the best song about a baseball player ever written. Though I only offer the link, because in true homage to Ted Williams it contains some language that isn't safe for a non-locker room workplace :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJFth-uEzc8

I am not too sure that this is #521. This seems to be from much earlier, when Williams was whippet-thin. He filled out quite a bit as he got into his late 30s. And he had long lost the boyish enthusiasm that is evident in that clip.

I'm not sure, but I think this may have been his HR off the Rip Sewell blooper in the 1946 ASG. I would know for sure if I saw the swing.

I am not too sure that this is #521. This seems to be from much earlier, when Williams was whippet-thin. He filled out quite a bit as he got into his late 30s. And he had long lost the boyish enthusiasm that is evident in that clip.

I'm not sure, but I think this may have been his HR off the Rip Sewell blooper in the 1946 ASG. I would know for sure if I saw the swing.

I wasn't sure. He is celebrating a lot.

Archived