Tejada deal up to Angelos

bigbird

"Santana, Wood, Kotchman and Saunders for Tejada and Conine?! Can dreams come true?"

If that happens, I'll put my feet up, pour myself a gin & tonic large enough to do cannonballs in it, and go through an entire box of smokes with a huge smile on my face.

I do not think that deal is going to happen, but that last sentence has to be the line of the day. And by the way, I will do the same thing, only substitute a rum and coke for the gin and tonic.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is Texas offering?? I heard Blalock and prospects...but what prospects?

Interesting that you mention this. I live in Dallas, and I have not heard one word down there (I'm back in D.C. for the weekend .... AAAAAAHHHHH....) about a Rangers run at Tejada.

However, when I was on my way to the airport yesterday, I heard an interview with new Rangers GM John Daniels, arranged so the DFW media could kiss up to him over the Carlos Lee trade. The only question they asked that had any meat to it at all was "why another bat? How about someone who can throw a strike?" Daniels made it clear that several teams -- including the Angels -- were hot for Carlos Lee, and while Texas needs pitching, they decided to strike quickly when Lee was made available. Fair enough.

However, throughout the interview, it sounded like he clearly had something else working. During his 10 (?) minutes on the air, his cell phone NEVER stopped ringing. He did mention wanting to improve infield defense (which is a little odd, since they seem to think Michael Young is Ozzie Smith and Mark Teixeira actually deserved his Gold Glove). To me, the guy they'd like to move is Blalock, and I'd be completely OK with that. His numbers aren't that fabulous this year, but he has a great glove and arm, and has a hell of a lot more power than he's shown this year. Personally, just based on his pure batting stroke, I like him at the plate better than Tex, even though I realize I'm going to get torched for that, since his numbers are down this year (although Tex's aren't great, either, at least by his standards).

So I wonder if Daniels is so adamant about ditching Blalock that he'd think about trying to sweet-talk Mora into lifting his no-trade clause, and everything I've heard and read suggests that both Daniels and Texas manager Buck Showalter inexplicably have a man-crush on Rodrigo Lopez. Why? I don't know. But if that's really the case, there is a trade waiting to happen here.

There are three pitchers in the Texas system -- Thomas Diamond, John Danks and Edinson Volquez -- who many feel have the potential to be front-of-the-rotation. Give me one of those pitchers -- preferably Volquez -- and Blalock, and Texas can have Mora and RoLo, as well as some spare arm in the pen (Williams or somebody).

Anyone think Texas might bite at this?

So let's see:

- Tejada and Conine to Anaheim for Wood, Santana, Kotchman and Saunders/Adenhart (according to someone's proposal

- Mora and RoLo to Texas for Blalock and one of the three young pitchers

- Hawkins and Johnson to Colorado for Shealy and Baker

Pull those three off, and I might even start calling DEVILos by that name that starts with "A" again.

Guest oriofan8

Saturday, July 29, noon ET: The Astros and Angels have made their final offers on Miguel Tejada. The Orioles now have to decide if it's enough to give up their star shortstop. The Astros have a backup plan in Julio Lugo, but need to act quickly because Toronto is also in on the Devil Rays shortstop. Tejada is more likely to move if the O's are willing to absorb a bit of salary in return for him. One other team took a look at Tejada and decided to pass. "There's some questions there. The Palmeiro thing and he's checked out on the O's. I don't know if going to a contender changes him if it's not the right manager," I was told.

...this is the beginning of Will Carroll's article...note that it was posted as of NOON today...

This will be my last post before the deadline as I won't be able to contact my guy the next several days. As of early this evening all signs pointed to Tejada heading to the Angels before the deadline. The front office wants the deal but Big Pete will have to sign off on it. He said we are asking for 4 players in return (2 prospects and 2 players on their 25 man roster). Other players may well go to LA. The front office knows this is a risky move but it's one that will set us up better for the offseason. He said Santana and Wood were 2 of the players we were asking for. Rosenthal has reported Aybar instead of Wood which may be due us asking for more players. The front office knows this move will be met with mixed reactions but they feel we'll be a better team and frees up Tejada's salary to pursue a big banger in the off season. Conine may also be heading to LA in the deal.

Other deals he's hearing are Hawkins to the Rockies and RLo to the Mets.

Believe it or not teams are still calling for these guys. He said the next couple days will active. That will be all from me. Maybe Belkast of Harv can bring us home the next couple days

Discalimer: This is coming from a message board poster posing as a Sesame

Street character so read into this as little or as much as you want. If any of this information does not materialize I ask forgiveness under Section 2 Article 16 of the NABMBP (National Assn. of Baseball Message Board Posters).

Ken Rosenthal just reported on FOX during the Angels-Red Sox game that PA turned down a deal that would have sent Tejada to the Astros for some "prime time Major League prospects". They also had a deal being discussed with the Angels that would bring back Ervin Santana and Aybar. The O's have also talked with Texas about a deal which would center around Hank Blalock.

According to Will Carroll at Baseball Prospectus, the Astros and Angels have submitted their final offers for Tejada, etc.. It is now laid at the feet of the Oriole brass. I would pay... hmmmmm... say $100 to know what their final offers are. :D

Waiting for Olney on ESPNEWS. I wouldn't even consider the Astros last offer. What happened to the Dodgers? I thought they were in it.

So let's see:

- Tejada and Conine to Anaheim for Wood, Santana, Kotchman and Saunders/Adenhart (according to someone's proposal

Pull those three off, and I might even start calling DEVILos by that name that starts with "A" again.

Theres no chance any of those trades happen

I think it would be an incredible act of disrespect to Mora after promising him a no trade clause and signing him to a new contract that came down from his initial offer because he wanted to stay with his family in Baltimore, to turn around and trade him before the new contract kicks in. I would not trade him without his blessing.

Interesting that you mention this. I live in Dallas, and I have not heard one word down there (I'm back in D.C. for the weekend .... AAAAAAHHHHH....) about a Rangers run at Tejada.

However, when I was on my way to the airport yesterday, I heard an interview with new Rangers GM John Daniels, arranged so the DFW media could kiss up to him over the Carlos Lee trade. The only question they asked that had any meat to it at all was "why another bat? How about someone who can throw a strike?" Daniels made it clear that several teams -- including the Angels -- were hot for Carlos Lee, and while Texas needs pitching, they decided to strike quickly when Lee was made available. Fair enough.

However, throughout the interview, it sounded like he clearly had something else working. During his 10 (?) minutes on the air, his cell phone NEVER stopped ringing. He did mention wanting to improve infield defense (which is a little odd, since they seem to think Michael Young is Ozzie Smith and Mark Teixeira actually deserved his Gold Glove). To me, the guy they'd like to move is Blalock, and I'd be completely OK with that. His numbers aren't that fabulous this year, but he has a great glove and arm, and has a hell of a lot more power than he's shown this year. Personally, just based on his pure batting stroke, I like him at the plate better than Tex, even though I realize I'm going to get torched for that, since his numbers are down this year (although Tex's aren't great, either, at least by his standards).

So I wonder if Daniels is so adamant about ditching Blalock that he'd think about trying to sweet-talk Mora into lifting his no-trade clause, and everything I've heard and read suggests that both Daniels and Texas manager Buck Showalter inexplicably have a man-crush on Rodrigo Lopez. Why? I don't know. But if that's really the case, there is a trade waiting to happen here.

There are three pitchers in the Texas system -- Thomas Diamond, John Danks and Edinson Volquez -- who many feel have the potential to be front-of-the-rotation. Give me one of those pitchers -- preferably Volquez -- and Blalock, and Texas can have Mora and RoLo, as well as some spare arm in the pen (Williams or somebody).

Anyone think Texas might bite at this?

So let's see:

If we pulled all three of those off, I would call Angelos Daddy.

Ken Rosenthal just reported on FOX during the Angels-Red Sox game that PA turned down a deal that would have sent Tejada to the Astros for some "prime time Major League prospects". They also had a deal being discussed with the Angels that would bring back Ervin Santana and Aybar. The O's have also talked with Texas about a deal which would center around Hank Blalock.

Angelos strikes again! This jerk needs to learn what a good owner is supposed to do.

Oh, boy....here we go, Angelos already getting involved.

I want to know what this magical Astros deal involves!? Who could it be?!

I think it would be an incredible act of disrespect to Mora after promising him a no trade clause and signing him to a new contract that came down from his initial offer because he wanted to stay with his family in Baltimore, to turn around and trade him before the new contract kicks in. I would not trade him without his blessing.

Mora has a no trade clause

Is Blalock really all that though? And do we really need another 3B? I don't think they have anyone who can compare to Santana in terms of a young top of the rotation starter.

I think the Rangers would benefit from that trade if it goes through. They would move Tejada to 3rd and he is a better offensive player than Blaylock at this point. I don't know what else the Rangers would be willing to give but they would need to add a couple of other players to make that deal even palatable.

Bigbird said the Os asked for Wood and Santana. Rosenthal reported that the Angels offered Santana and Aybar.

I hope its Wood, the guy is MASHER. We're so dearth of offensive prospects and being able to replace a power hitting shortstop with another power hitting shortstop would be quite the coup.

Look a few years down the road -- how powerful could Wood and Rowell be for the Birds? Surely we could find a 1B and a couple of OFs who can hit by then, right?

Archived