Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

The Jones and Tillman trade would be bad. You're basically giving up both of them in the hopes that you don't have to negotiate against someone when bidding on AGon in FA.

Also, I think you are seriously overvaluing our guys (including the other AGon trade you posted) if you think we're getting Rasmus for Scott and some spare change.

Rasmus's value is hurt by the conflict between LaRussa & him. I don't believe that they will just give him away...As I recall SG said they couldn't expect a player like Jones for Rasmus.

IMO Gonzalez is a accomplished Star .... Rasmus is not (he's pretty equal to Jones IMO) ....Taking it further what Really hurts the Padres is that the clock is running out on a return for Gonzalez. I'm sure they would choose Tillman & company to 2 prospects that might never amount to anything 5-7 years after they are drafted. At the deadline they will get a collection of prospects for him ...Likely noone from a majorleague roster from a team in a pennant race.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rasmus's value is hurt by the conflict between LaRussa & him. I don't believe that they will just give him away...As I recall SG said they couldn't expect a player like Jones for Rasmus.

I don't know if SG said that or not, but if he did he is wrong. It would take more than Jones to get Rasmus, IMO.

I agree that there isn't much to choose from in FA that would be an upgrade over VMart. The best way to get that coveted 1B cornerstone is via trade, but I haven't heard of many/any that are available (I suppose most everyone is for the right price). I don't have a problem with VMArt on a 3-year deal. Anything more than that, I get a little nervous. ANd it'll take at least 4 to lure him here, in my opinion.

The O's should be kicking the tires on teams looking to dump salary. The Twins and Mets may have some potential impact players available. Wonder if the O's could entice the Twin's to trade Joe Mauer (and Hardy, if Nishioka lands elsewhere) by offering Scott, Tillman and Hernandez, (paying most of Luke's 2010 salary). Then turn around and offer Pie (or less) for Beltran (DH/LF). Grab Werth for LF/CF on a 5 year $80M with incentives and Jose Lopez for 3B and utility. That would be aggressive and improve the team tremendously. Of course this is under the premise that Mauer's concussion symptoms have subsided.

Nice lineup:

Roberts

Markakis

Werth

Mauer

Beltran

Jones

Wieters

Lopez

Nishioka

The only way I deal for AGOn is if we can obtain him for the value of 2 picks or less. I don't care about the extension in that type of deal.

And btw, you may not value Jones but the Orioles do and other teams would.

As I have said before, I have no idea why people continue to want to deal a guy like Jones for a 1 year player...What is the point of that? if you are going to move him, get a 3+ year player.

Its not that I dont value Jones...I just dont think hes a superstar. I think his game has some holes in the field & at the plate. He at times looks awesome...At other times not so good. I wouldn't give him away. The only way I do any deal for Gonzalez is if I can resign him to contract.

The O's should be kicking the tires on teams looking to dump salary. The Twins and Mets may have some potential impact players available. Wonder if the O's could entice the Twin's to trade Joe Mauer (and Hardy, if Nishioka lands elsewhere) by offering Scott, Tillman and Hernandez, (paying most of Luke's 2010 salary). Then turn around and offer Pie (or less) for Beltran (DH/LF). Grab Werth for LF/CF on a 5 year $80M with incentives and Jose Lopez for 3B and utility. That would be aggressive and improve the team tremendously. Of course this is under the premise that Mauer's concussion symptoms have subsided.

Nice lineup:

Roberts

Markakis

Werth

Mauer

Beltran

Jones

Wieters

Lopez

Nishioka

Boy .... Thats a lot of moves

Based on what? ...based on War & OPS they are pretty even statistically.

How are the even statistically? If you look only at Rasmus' rookie season, you could say that. Even still, he was worth 2.3 WAR, which is Jones' highest output. Last year, Rasmus had an .859 OPS and an 3.6 WAR, and he has very good plate discipline.

Is this a joke?

How are the even statistically? If you look only at Rasmus' rookie season, you could say that. Even still, he was worth 2.3 WAR, which is Jones' highest output. Last year, Rasmus had an .859 OPS and an 3.6 WAR, and he has very good plate discipline.

He had 148 K's and 63 BB's...not sure I'd go as far as the above...

He had 148 K's and 63 BB's...not sure I'd go as far as the above...

It's still above average. He had a 12% walk rate last year, and that was typical of his minor league career. I'm not sure what happened with the K rate (32%) as that was much higher than his first year (20%)

I don't know if SG said that or not, but if he did he is wrong. It would take more than Jones to get Rasmus, IMO.

What team is trading an established young star player, who is young, cheap and under team control for several more years, for another player that is the same type of guy?

Yes, Rasmus is better but the difference isn't a ton and teams aren't going to want to get rid of those types of guys just to obtain another one of those types of guys.

I think if the Cards trade Rasmus, they will get older established guys and/r non-established prospects.

It's still above average. He had a 12% walk rate last year, and that was typical of his minor league career. I'm not sure what happened with the K rate (32%) as that was much higher than his first year (20%)

He was extremely streaky. At the beginning of the year, he hit everything. He had two additional months of very solid production. As for the other three months...he couldn't hit a beach ball when it was tossed at him. I don't honestly know what that says about his plate discipline, focus, etc. Some of it might be attributable to the "temperature" of his relationship with his manager, maybe it's something else. Regardless, I don't think he proved that he's a disciplined hitter to the point of mentioning "plate discipline" as one of his laudable attributes, that's all.

Archived