AL Gold Gloves

Moose Milligan

A dozen emotions passed through me before I finally settled on this:

I think the bottom line is that Brook's 16 Gold Gloves become less and less significant every year. Because every year, the current voters deface the award again and again. Pretty soon, the award will mean absolutely nothing to the common baseball fan and the legend of Brooks will lessen considerably.

Shame on the voters. Every. Single. One of them.

As I said in the other thread on the O's Talk board:

Am I the only one that gets disgusted knowing that Derek Jeter has now won 5 Gold Glove Awards and Cal Ripken only won 2 and Mike Bordick never won any?

No, it is pathetic. Still, the GG award is a joke, and has been for some time. With Jeter, I just laugh now because of how awful the knowledge of the people that vote for this is.

A dozen emotions passed through me before I finally settled on this:

I think the bottom line is that Brook's 16 Gold Gloves become less and less significant every year. Because every year, the current voters deface the award again and again. Pretty soon, the award will mean absolutely nothing to the common baseball fan and the legend of Brooks will lessen considerably.

Shame on the voters. Every. Single. One of them.

You realize, of course, that Brooks won a few of those on reputation when the numbers didn't really support him. Shame on those voters, too?

That's more or less my point.

I'm not naive enough to assume that Brooks was still AMAZING at age 38. I guess my first post hinted that I thought Brooks deserved every GG and Jeter's excess in tainting it. That isn't what I was trying to say.

All I can say right now is that the GG means very little to me any more. It's a joke.

It's a travesty and a sham and a mockery. It's a traveshamockery.

You realize, of course, that Brooks won a few of those on reputation when the numbers didn't really support him. Shame on those voters, too?

Yes, although it is a far different thing to say that Brooks Robinson only deserved 12 (for the sake of argument) of his 16 than to say Derek Jeter only deserved one of his five, like Rob Neyer already has.

Tex, Cano and Jeter combined for a UZR/150 of -8.7. Good lord. It doesn't really matter, but I guess All-Star appearances and Gold Gloves count about the same nowadays.

Single season UZR does have a lot of noise in the data, so it could be wrong. Just like how the uncertainty principle implies that there's a non-zero chance you could be magically transported to Uruguay at 2:33 tomorrow.

And try to keep this kind of stuff in context. While the GGs are often horribly wrong, they've always been like this. And before GGs measuring fielding was still completely subjective and often dead wrong. Up until the 60s or 70s it was a given that Pie Traynor was the best third baseman of all time, and that was mostly based on his amazing glove. His career fielding runs mark on BB-ref is -32, with a career high of +4.

Hal Chase is the all time leader in games thrown and ballplayers corrupted, but in his day was described as the best fielding first baseman of all time, bar none, end of story. Bill James has quoted papers of the day just heaping lavish praise on his fielding, like he reinvented the position. Chase's career fielding runs sit at -65, and he only had a handful of years above zero.

As I said in the other thread on the O's Talk board:

Am I the only one that gets disgusted knowing that Derek Jeter has now won 5 Gold Glove Awards and Cal Ripken only won 2 and Mike Bordick never won any?

I think about that, too.

I always wonder if Ripken hit in 1990 like he did in 1991 if Ozzie f'ing Guillen still wins that Gold Glove.

Archived