Orioles to bid on Nishioka

jiminnj

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now Hear This: O's will not sign Nishioka. Nor will they sign any of the following: Konerko' date=' Beltre, Lee, Lee, Crawford, Victor Martinez, de la Rosa, Soriano, or any other top 25 free agent,. Set your sights much lower......maybe Lyle Overbay is possible.[/quote']

Well, we know your expectations are low. I bet you already knew the O's wouldn't win more than 70 games last season too?

I guess I'll speak for myself when I say the beginning of the offseason is my most optimistic time as an O's fan. Hopefully, this year it will be the eve of opening day!

Well, we know your expectations are low. I bet you already knew the O's wouldn't win more than 70 games last season too?

I guess I'll speak for myself when I say the beginning of the offseason is my most optimistic time as an O's fan. Hopefully, this year it will be the eve of opening day!

Can't argue with you there...the most optimistic season for Oriole fans IS the offseason when you can at least dream about possible signings. However, it's pretty sad that the best time of the year for O's fans has been a period when almost nothing positive happens.

MLB teams have until 5pm EST on the 23rd (7am on the 24th Japan time) to submit bids for Nishioka.

It appears the MLB market for Nishioka is thinning... I hope the O's make an offer.

That's in a little less than 48 hours.

Do we see AM moving quickly to add a guy like Hardy before then and if he can't get him, submit a competitive bid?

Why are you asking us? Why don't you just check your crystal ball and tell us? :D

Oh, i doubt he bids enough for this guy and don't think he will improve on SS this quickly, if he does at all.

But seeing the deadline did make me think...he has at least called on these guys and has presumably, talked trade with Minn and Tampa.

What are your feelings on Nishioka? What kind of posting fee and contract is warranted for him? Pretty tough to say, isn't it? Hopefully, if the Orioles really believe in this guy as a starting SS, they'll pony up the cash. If not, there's really not much reason to post at all, is there?

I really don't know. I think I have heard enough doubt that he can stick at SS that I am not interested in getting him.

HOWEVER, if the Orioles decide to post on him and sign him, I am going to assume his defense will be fine because I don't see how Buck and AM would be ok with putting an iffy defensive player at SS.

I personally prefer going to get a guy like Hardy(amongst many others).

If they choose to pass on posting for him, I am fine with that because my assumption is that they have doubt about his defense and that they think they can add a "domestic" option.

I really don't know. I think I have heard enough doubt that he can stick at SS that I am not interested in getting him.

HOWEVER, if the Orioles decide to post on him and sign him, I am going to assume his defense will be fine because I don't see how Buck and AM would be ok with putting an iffy defensive player at SS.

I personally prefer going to get a guy like Hardy(amongst many others).

If they choose to pass on posting for him, I am fine with that because my assumption is that they have doubt about his defense and that they think they can add a "domestic" option.

I seriously doubt you can truly back this up, given what US writers know about Japanese players...especially ones that just had their first breakout season. The guy has won GG's at both SS and 2B. Worst case scenario, IMO: he backs up 2B/leadoff hitter and plays well defensively at SS and is better than Izturis. This move makes sense on some many different levels that the Orioles should be all over this, unless they are unwilling to take any risk at all in a position of need.

I seriously doubt you can truly back this up, given what US writers know about Japanese players...especially ones that just had their first breakout season. The guy has won GG's at both SS and 2B. Worst case scenario, IMO: he backs up 2B/leadoff hitter and plays well defensively at SS and is better than Izturis. This move makes sense on some many different levels that the Orioles should be all over this, unless they are unwilling to take any risk at all in a position of need.

Winning a GG in Japan is meaningless to me.

Jeter wins them in the US and he doesn't deserve it.

And worst case is he is really a second baseman, which we already have.

That's a pretty bad worse case when you consider cost. Having a 20+ million dollar investment in a backup second baseman is about the worst way a team can piss away money.

That's a pretty bad worse case when you consider cost. Having a 20+ million dollar investment in a backup second baseman is about the worst way a team can piss away money.

So you admit that you are completely unwilling to take on any risk in a position of need for this team (or at least SS)?

Every SS option out there has risk. Hardy might not play more than 100 games...or he could regress more. Same for Reyes and Bartlett may be below average. Of course these three options involve trading young talent that could help this team for the next 3-6 years.

If the O's have no real scouting info. on this guy, then I'll give you that...otherwise we'll just continue to agree to disagree on this topic. :scratchchinhmm:

I beg to differ...$20M for 2/3 years of Reyes/Hardy would be the same risk, given their health and declining numbers. Why not add Izturis as a backup SS/2B? He won't land anything better anywhere else (in my guestimation)...so with Cesar as backup...take a risk on either Hardy, Reyes, Bartlett, Nishioka and be done with it. Nishioka is the youngest of the bunch and just did something (>200 hits) for the first time in Japan, since....(:cool:)

So you admit that you are completely unwilling to take on any risk in a position of need for this team (or at least SS)?

LOL, that's what you take from what i said? Did you hurt yourself reaching there?

If the O's have no real scouting info. on this guy, then I'll give you that...otherwise we'll just continue to agree to disagree on this topic. :scratchchinhmm:
What info do YOU have?

I beg to differ...$20M for 2/3 years of Reyes/Hardy would be the same risk, given their health and declining numbers. Why not add Izturis as a backup SS/2B? He won't land anything better anywhere else (in my guestimation)...so with Cesar as backup...take a risk on either Hardy, Reyes, Bartlett, Nishioka and be done with it. Nishioka is the youngest of the bunch and just did something (>200 hits) for the first time in Japan, since....(:cool:)

Umm, those guys are SS. If Nishioka is only a second baseman, its a poor signing..To think otherwise shows a total lack of understanding of where the team is, both in terms of payroll and the idea of BRob being here for another 3 years.

No Question . Hopefully BS and AM are better at evaluating defensive skills than the writers are but I understand your opinion, though it's realy all about our evaluation.

Archived