Orioles to bid on Nishioka

jiminnj

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the reason the O's are even bidding is because less teams then the O's thought might attempt to go after Nishioka. I am sure they will do a conservative bid .

If they actually somehow win, I think it will probably be a low enough bid that they could make him the utility guy and not feel bad about it. That said, I don't expect that to happen.

The rumors on Bartlett and Hardy and now this on Nishioka make it appear that MacPhail may be concentrating on doing something at SS as his first priority, or at least the first thing he is going to act on.

So much for all the love given to Izturis. Reminds me of all the love given to the old coaches and now none of them are returning. Buck (and MacPhail) will sing the praises of his current players and coaches but that does not equate those people being at the top of his wish list

Beware of Bucks singing praises.:laughlol:

Buck has an obligation to speak highly of those he currently employs and delegates to, particularly to the press. Otherwise he runs the risk of losing the clubhouse, and it's just good form to talk up these people as they're going to need a recommendation looking for another job. It's pretty standard procedure in business.

I've already gotten a few questions about the report out of Japan that the Orioles will bid on shortstop Tsuyoshi Nishioka. From what I've been told, the Orioles still haven't decided whether they will bid or not on Nishioka, who was posted by the Chiba Lotte Marines earlier this week. And even if they did bid, few expect that the total would be enough to land the opportunity to exclusively negotiate with the player. The Orioles do have some interest in Nishioka, but they also think the price of the posting fee, coupled by the contract that the player will be looking for, will far exceed what they view as the infielder's worth.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/11/orioles_free_agent_tidbits.html

I've already gotten a few questions about the report out of Japan that the Orioles will bid on shortstop Tsuyoshi Nishioka. From what I've been told, the Orioles still haven't decided whether they will bid or not on Nishioka, who was posted by the Chiba Lotte Marines earlier this week. And even if they did bid, few expect that the total would be enough to land the opportunity to exclusively negotiate with the player. The Orioles do have some interest in Nishioka, but they also think the price of the posting fee, coupled by the contract that the player will be looking for, will far exceed what they view as the infielder's worth.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/11/orioles_free_agent_tidbits.html

This would be the posture you would take if you didn't want top drive up the posting bids by expressing real interest.

Assuming that this is true, this is the crap that I hate...enough with the fence sitting routine. Stop wavering back and forth on what to do.

Look, if you don't want to bid on him, don't bid on him...if you want to bid on him, sack up and do it.

It's like freaking dating...girls hate guys who show up and go "Well, what do you wanna do? Doesn't matter to me." Why? Cause girls are attracted to self confidence and strong decision making. Showing up at a girls house without a definitive plan is the kiss of death. The Orioles are pretty much like the worst date ever.

Just be forthright and decisive. Good God, this is the flimsiest most spineless organization ever. At least the freakin Redskins have enough confidence to make swift decisions.

Assuming that this is true, this is the crap that I hate...enough with the fence sitting routine. Stop wavering back and forth on what to do.

Look, if you don't want to bid on him, don't bid on him...if you want to bid on him, sack up and do it.

It's like freaking dating...girls hate guys who show up and go "Well, what do you wanna do? Doesn't matter to me." Why? Cause girls are attracted to self confidence and strong decision making. Showing up at a girls house without a definitive plan is the kiss of death. The Orioles are pretty much like the worst date ever.

Just be forthright and decisive. Good God, this is the flimsiest most spineless organization ever. At least the freakin Redskins have enough confidence to make swift decisions.

I assume you're just taking out frustration about the O's in general here, because this doesn't make any sense. All of these reports are just conjecture anyway, but every organization is doing this same thing: projecting worth versus price. If they place a bid, it should be what they think he's worth, not whatever it takes to be the self-confident and strong decision-making ballclub.

Roch doesn't think we are bidding at all.

The Orioles aren't likely to bid on Japanese infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka, despite reports coming out of Japan.

Don't believe everything you read - and that includes the translated stuff.

Again, the Orioles aren't completely sold on Nishioka and don't think the cost will be worth it. At this time, there are no plans to bid on him.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/11/addressing-a-few-rumors.html

That's assuming the O's are even trying to get halfway to 3rd base with Nishioka in the first place. They might be afraid he can only handle 2nd.

:wedge:

Have you considered the possibility that the O's intentionally are being vague with the media? If they plan to make an aggressive bid, why let other teams know that? If they aren't going to bid, why not let your competitors bid as high as possible because they believe you are bidding?

Besides all that, maybe they are wavering because if they get the sense that Hardy or Bartlett can be had at a reasonable price, they will stay away, but if the asking price on those guys is too high, then they'll bid.

None of it bothers me much. As I've said a few times lately, just wake me up on February 15 and let me know who's on the team and I'll tell you if I think we had a good offseason or not. The day-to-day rumor mill just annoys me.

Boy this organization loves throwing cold water on the fans over and over again... :laughlol:

Headline from MLBTR - "Orioles interested in Player X."

20 min later from Roch or Zrebiec - "Report of Orioles interest in Player X premature at best."

So goes the Orioles offseason. Can't these guys just say "no comment" and let us have some fun speculating? :D

Archived