Orioles to bid on Nishioka

jiminnj

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
I wouldn't be thrilled with paying 5-8 million dollars (posting) plus 4+ million dollars annually for a Japanese middle-infielder
Do you have a reason to think he'd cost that much? Iwamura, for example, signed a 3-year deal for $7.45 mm and his posting fee was $4.55 mm. So, a total of $12 mm for 4.9 WAR (per BB-ref) or 6.1 WAR (per fangraphs) for the three years he was in Tampa. They got a steal at that price.

Final price for Nishioka: $5.1 mm posting fee and a 3/$10 mm contract. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5927508 It will be interesting to see if the Twins' decision to jettison Hardy and go get Nishioka for 3 years will pay off.

Final price for Nishioka: $5.1 mm posting fee and a 3/$10 mm contract. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5927508 It will be interesting to see if the Twins' decision to jettison Hardy and go get Nishioka for 3 years will pay off.

It will be interesting, but I don't understand how this could possibly end up as a terrible contract. At worst it'll be below-average, and it could be a huge bargain. The Twins are paying for about 3.5 wins over three years. From 2008-2010 3.5 total wins would rank 43rd among major league middle infielders. Miguel Tejada played every day with a 97 OPS+ and poor defense over the last three years and was worth 3.6 wins. Elvis Andrus had a .670 OPS in only two years and was worth 3.5 wins. Clint Barmes had a .305 OBP in Colorado over that span, and was worth almost two wins more than that.

The Twins paid less for Nishioka than the O's did for Mike Gonzalez, and are only expecting Miguel Tejada-level production. I think I might have signed him as a utility player/Roberts backup for the money he actually got.

Archived