Werth on MASN 2011

hatepaste

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From that article...

“For elite players like this to come to Washington, D.C., obviously we have to extend the contract,” Rizzo said. “We understand where we’re at in our process. Someday in the very near future, we hope that we will not have to give extra money, extra years to acquire a player.”

Rizzo gets it...MacPhail does not. The contract is insane. No doubt. But the O's could use more logic like this and less of the cheapskate scared of his own shadow MacPhail mentality.

Bingo. MacPhail expects to offer market rate and get a player because everybody should love to play in Baltimore.
Market rate would be a refreshing change of pace actually. MacPhail walks into Bloomingdales and tries to buy things at Sears prices. Minus VMart for the MacPhail defenders of course.

Peter Angelos.

From that article...

“For elite players like this to come to Washington, D.C., obviously we have to extend the contract,” Rizzo said. “We understand where we’re at in our process. Someday in the very near future, we hope that we will not have to give extra money, extra years to acquire a player.”

Rizzo gets it...MacPhail does not. The contract is insane. No doubt. But the O's could use more logic like this and less of the cheapskate scared of his own shadow MacPhail mentality.

So the contract is both insane and logical, huh? :scratchchinhmm:

There is a reason he went and got MacPhail. They are soul mates. For Valentine's day they send each other cards that say 'you complete me.'

Dead on. MacPhail has said he's actually more conservative that Angelos.

The only good news is that fans aren't buying this crap any longer for the most part.

So the contract is both insane and logical, huh? :scratchchinhmm:

His point is the Orioles need to be willing to go above and beyond to land a player. At some point you do walk away, but the Orioles really can't afford to keep missing on their targets.

Rizzo landed his player, and that was the most important thing for him.

MacPhail has yet to land any of his this offeseason.

There is a reason he went and got MacPhail. They are soul mates. For Valentine's day they send each other cards that say 'you complete me.'

Oh, i agree with that...But its pretty foolish to continue to act as if AM is the problem and not PA.

This isn't to say that AM isn't too conservative because obviously he is..But still, PA is the biggest issue and always has been.

Actually, this contract makes sense if you assume that baseball is going to go revert to a period of massive growth, and that player salaries will increase at 20% per annum over the next seven years.

So, basically, for this contract to make fiscal sense one win in free agency will need to cost about $13M in 2017. It's at about $4.5M now, and has been in that neighborhood for a number of years.

Even if you just assume that the cost of a win goes up by half a million a year, which I think is pretty aggressive, they've overpaid by about $30M.

Actually, this contract makes sense if you assume that baseball is going to go revert to a period of massive growth, and that player salaries will increase at 20% per annum over the next seven years.

So, basically, for this contract to make fiscal sense one win in free agency will need to cost about $13M in 2017. It's at about $4.5M now, and has been in that neighborhood for a number of years.

Even if you just assume that the cost of a win goes up by half a million a year, which I think is pretty aggressive, they've overpaid by about $30M.

Ladies and Gentleman. Jon Wilt.

Game. Set. Match.

His point is the Orioles need to be willing to go above and beyond to land a player. At some point you do walk away, but the Orioles really can't afford to keep missing on their targets.

Rizzo landed his player, and that was the most important thing for him.

MacPhail has yet to land any of his this offeseason.

If you're not walking away from this negotiation way before 7 years - $126 million for Werth, then I don't know when you're walking away. This is the type of contract that becomes known as an albatross. Thank goodness we don't have GM that will mortgage our future for a talent like Werth.

Archived