Werth on MASN 2011

hatepaste

Not necessarily. You still have to find another team that stupid. Plus, the Nats were paying the "loser premium." A team like Boston doesn't have to pay as much as a team like the Nats. That's just life.

Remember when Boras got Texas to bid against themselves for an extra 50 million on AROD. O yeah...it made them go bankrupt and lose the team.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely nuts. But watch Werth have a decent 2011 and some folks will be saying that shows the Nats knew what they were doing.

They would have been better off paying Dunn to stay.

I do think this news is useful in illustrating just how crazy a perennially losing franchise has to go in order to convince a big-time free agent to sign with them. My estimate that the O's would have to pay Beltre 5/$90 mm may have been too conservative.

Yes, this is the lesson many here need to learn. If we want our FO to be "aggressive" and "go out and get the players they need" and "make a big splash",etc., this is what they are going to have to do. Be careful what you wish for.

Where was MacPhail? Procrastinating as usual! Come on Andy get 'r done!

Why can't the Orioles be more like the Nats! Look at all the success they've had over the past few years!

:D

They sucked the best possibly the two greatest draft years in a row to have the number one pick.

They even suck better than us.

I think everyone forgot that he is replacing Dunn so really it's not a significant improvement over last years team. Though Werth is better defensively. I would think Washington is not done and may be active at these meetings I believe they will sign D. Lee also.

"It kind of exemplifies phase two of the Washington Nationals' process," general manager Mike Rizzo said. "Phase one was scouting and player development, building the farm system. ... Now it's the time to go to the second phase and really compete for division titles and championships."

Here

When MacPhail talked about phase two last year he signed Atkins. Rizzo talks about phase two he lands Werth and is heavy bidding on Cliff Lee.

Regardless of the lunacy of the Werth contract, I trust Rizzo's judgement of phases more than MacPhail's

I just listened to Rizzo on MLB Network Radio.

He said although you "may have some sleepless nights," the bottom line is that you got the player. You may have to give an extra year, but you get the player.

He mentioned that he flew out to California right after the GM Meetings to meet with Boras and Werth and that's how the negotations started.

Rizzo mentioned the Nats are ready to compete and have spent the past two years building up their farm system, but they are now ready to take the next step and feel that Werth can help them do just that.

He also mentioned he had to sell Jayson on their organizational plan and that he had to trust him on where they were going and that they would add the other pieces neccessary to compete.

The Nationals are the exact opposite of the Orioles right now. They've been able to get top talent in the draft, and are committed to spending on FA talent as well and will be aggressive in doing so.

It will be interesting to see the path these two teams take after their offseason moves.

I just listened to Rizzo on MLB Network Radio.

He said although you "may have some sleepless nights," the bottom line is that you got the player. You may have to give an extra year, but you get the player.

He mentioned that he flew out to California right after the GM Meetings to meet with Boras and Werth and that's how the negotations started.

Rizzo mentioned the Nats are ready to compete and have spent the past two years building up their farm system, but they are now ready to take the next step and feel that Werth can help them do just that.

The Nationals are the exact opposite of the Orioles right now. They've been able to get top talent in the draft, and are committed to spending on FA talent as well and will be aggressive in doing so.

It will be interesting to see the path these two teams take after their offseason moves.

The difference is that the Nats have an owner willing to spend more than PA.

I know you continue to ignore that and want to put everything at the feet of AM but this all goes back to PA.

The difference is that the Nats have an owner willing to spend more than PA.

I know you continue to ignore that and want to put everything at the feet of AM but this all goes back to PA.

Well you've got to think and hope the Lerners' spending is going to wake him up.

The host on MLB Network Radio mentioned the Nats could be trying to become another East Coast powerhouse like Philly, New York and Boston. The result would be that they would beat the Orioles to the playoffs and steal part of their fanbase.

The Nationals could quickly become the flagship of MASN and the draw of the area if the Orioles aren't careful.

Well you've got to think and hope the Lerners' spending is going to wake him up.

The host on MLB Network Radio mentioned the Nats could be trying to become another East Coast powerhouse like Philly, New York and Boston. The result would be that they would beat the Orioles to the playoffs and steal part of their fanbase.

The Nationals could quickly become the flagship of MASN and the draw of the area if the Orioles aren't careful.

I agree with this...But this isn't AM's fault...This is the fault of everyone in the organization, including AM.

From that article...

“For elite players like this to come to Washington, D.C., obviously we have to extend the contract,” Rizzo said. “We understand where we’re at in our process. Someday in the very near future, we hope that we will not have to give extra money, extra years to acquire a player.”

Rizzo gets it...MacPhail does not. The contract is insane. No doubt. But the O's could use more logic like this and less of the cheapskate scared of his own shadow MacPhail mentality.

From that article...

“For elite players like this to come to Washington, D.C., obviously we have to extend the contract,” Rizzo said. “We understand where we’re at in our process. Someday in the very near future, we hope that we will not have to give extra money, extra years to acquire a player.”

Rizzo gets it...MacPhail does not. The contract is insane. No doubt. But the O's could use more logic like this and less of the cheapskate scared of his own shadow MacPhail mentality.

Bingo. MacPhail expects to offer market rate and get a player because everybody should love to play in Baltimore.

Archived