Fukudome, Kuroda, Kobayashi

ChaosLex

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Know what?

Honestly, I wouldn't go after any Japanese arms. Or arms from Asia, for that matter. I know that there's still an allure there, but honestly, name a pitcher that's had long term success and more importantly, lived up to the billing as being a dominant pitcher? Nomo did it for awhile but faded pretty quickly. Irabu was a colossal flop...Dice K is pretty good, but not the dominant pitcher he was billed as. Chan Ho Park never lived up to the hype, either. Kaz Sasaki was a good closer for the Mariners, though.

Okijima has been good to great, I almost left him out.

As far as positional players go, Ichiro is the only one who's been a bonafide superstar and Hideki Matsui has been really good (and probably a bit underrated) too. Hee Seop Choi (and some others I can't name off the top of my head) have been busts.

So...I think we walk a really fine line when bringing guys over from Japan. Like I said, I'd stay away from the pitchers and let the Yanks and Sox continue to overspend for them. I think we can all agree that Dice K is a good pitcher but not worth what they paid for him.

As far as batters go, I'd explore it, but they'd have to be total studs on an Ichiro or Hideki Matsui level..and at that point, is Baltimore even attractive? Our market is small, we don't have the allure of NY or the pacific coast culture like Seattle. Will we be able to win the bidding wars?

As much as I've said I'd like to see the O's start tapping into the Asian market, it seems to be a pretty fine line. I'd much much rather see the team take that money and spend it in South America and get a bunch of talent from down there...I think it's a better investment of time and resources.

Japanese free agents are a very elegant method of solving the major league roster problems currently being faced.

1. No draft pick lost so they don't hurt the rebuild

2. They only cost money, something Angelos has in spades.

3. If they work out they expand the Orioles talent pool. Notice the other teams who have signed a Japanese player, they tend to get more.

4. Whom else will fill the holes at LF, CF, MR, SP? I surely don't know.

Question, has anyone heard anything about what, if any, players are being posted this season?

I agree with srock a lot more than I do Moose Milligan.

Just because there have been few long-term superstars come out of Japan doesn't mean the country shouldn't be a target for the Orioles. Most of the real finds have been guys like Saito, Iguchi and Otsuka - under the radar, not much was expected, but very good production for the cost.

Just because there have been few long-term superstars come out of Japan doesn't mean the country shouldn't be a target for the Orioles. Most of the real finds have been guys like Saito, Iguchi and Otsuka - under the radar, not much was expected, but very good production for the cost.

Fair enough.

But how much faith do you have in the O's being able to find good production like that? Maybe I'd have a bit more with MacPhail at the helm now, but we're talking about the O's here.

Speaking if Asia...

I don't know how many people look over in the MLB place. I accidently came across an article about how MLB was hurting baseball in Korea. I thought it was interesting. It was a perspective that had not occured to me before. If you're curious about it, you can find it here: http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54300

Fair enough.

But how much faith do you have in the O's being able to find good production like that? Maybe I'd have a bit more with MacPhail at the helm now, but we're talking about the O's here.

I don't think the goal is to find superstars. The goal is to plug holes without giving a draft pick. A proven reliable player will cost us a pick plus the money to sign him. The foreigner should get about the same money without the pick being lost.

Tampa Bay getting the 3B last year from the posting process was an absolute steal. I would love to see a 24-27 year old LF or CF come of Japan and wind up playing LF next season.

Is Fukudome worth an 85-100MM deal? Because I feel like that is what he will cost especially because I doubt Baltimore is an attractive place for a Japanese player to come to.

At 30 years old he makes no sense for the Orioles at any where near that price.

And a lot of those under the radar guys were relievers.

MacPhail did sign some Korean talent when he was with the Cubs. Maybe he will go after some of the Japanese free agents. No draft pick compensation is really the kicker for me. We have to guard our picks.

I don't think the goal is to find superstars. The goal is to plug holes without giving a draft pick. A proven reliable player will cost us a pick plus the money to sign him. The foreigner should get about the same money without the pick being lost.

Tampa Bay getting the 3B last year from the posting process was an absolute steal. I would love to see a 24-27 year old LF or CF come of Japan and wind up playing LF next season.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I think we're not connecting here...

I'm trying to say that I think the proven reliable player is a good angle for us to go after, but I don't trust the Orioles being able to do that in the MLB market, much less being able to select them from the Japanese market, know what I mean?

Tampa Bay seemed to do pretty well with Iwamura last year, but his OPS was .770. He strikes out way more than he walks, but his on base is .359...hardly any power. He's a nice player who I'd probably would have liked to have seen on the O's....but like I said, I just don't trust them in being able to make those decisions where we can get a good value for what we spend.

With MacPhail, hopefully that's changed, though.

Japanese free agents are a very elegant method of solving the major league roster problems currently being faced.

1. No draft pick lost so they don't hurt the rebuild

2. They only cost money, something Angelos has in spades.

3. If they work out they expand the Orioles talent pool. Notice the other teams who have signed a Japanese player, they tend to get more.

4. Whom else will fill the holes at LF, CF, MR, SP? I surely don't know.

One more:

5. Tap into Japanese market for more revenue

It's really a no lose situation IMO, but I tend to agree that we should push into the Latin American countries a little harder than the Japanese markets.

Know what?

Honestly, I wouldn't go after any Japanese arms. Or arms from Asia, for that matter. I know that there's still an allure there, but honestly, name a pitcher that's had long term success and more importantly, lived up to the billing as being a dominant pitcher? Nomo did it for awhile but faded pretty quickly. Irabu was a colossal flop...Dice K is pretty good, but not the dominant pitcher he was billed as. Chan Ho Park never lived up to the hype, either. Kaz Sasaki was a good closer for the Mariners, though.

Okijima has been good to great, I almost left him out.

As far as positional players go, Ichiro is the only one who's been a bonafide superstar and Hideki Matsui has been really good (and probably a bit underrated) too. Hee Seop Choi (and some others I can't name off the top of my head) have been busts.

So...I think we walk a really fine line when bringing guys over from Japan. Like I said, I'd stay away from the pitchers and let the Yanks and Sox continue to overspend for them. I think we can all agree that Dice K is a good pitcher but not worth what they paid for him.

As far as batters go, I'd explore it, but they'd have to be total studs on an Ichiro or Hideki Matsui level..and at that point, is Baltimore even attractive? Our market is small, we don't have the allure of NY or the pacific coast culture like Seattle. Will we be able to win the bidding wars?

As much as I've said I'd like to see the O's start tapping into the Asian market, it seems to be a pretty fine line. I'd much much rather see the team take that money and spend it in South America and get a bunch of talent from down there...I think it's a better investment of time and resources.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but several of those guys (namely Chan Ho Park and Hee Seop Choi) aren't Japanese

One more:

5. Tap into Japanese market for more revenue

It's really a no lose situation IMO, but I tend to agree that we should push into the Latin American countries a little harder than the Japanese markets.

That is very, very overstated. Any money that comes in from these guys in Japan is put into a pot and shared equally among all the teams. The only exception is team merchandise actually bought at Camden Yards or at official team stores.

Archived