Rendon is given the go ahead

http://blogs.chron.com/owls/2010/12/rendon_says_he_may_be_ahead_of.html

Rice junior third baseman Anthony Rendon, who is expected to be among the first few picks in the 2011 Major League Baseball draft, said he has been cleared for all baseball-related activities.

Doctors cleared Rendon, the reigning college baseball player of the year, during a visit two weeks ago.

"I'm full-go," Rendon said earlier this week while attending a basketball game at Tudor Fieldhouse.

Rendon said he's able to put on cleats, run bases, shuffle and cut on the right ankle he seriously injured last summer while playing for Team USA.

"I think I'm actually right on schedule, or maybe a few weeks ahead or a month," Rendon said. "The doctor said he was very impressed with my work on my rehab. I'm ready to go."

Couple of questions:

1. Any chance he falls to us?

2. Would he force Reynolds to first or does he have the power to project at first?

VERY little chance, but a little. Depends on how monster of a spring the pitchers have and what direction the 3 ahead of us go. On an overall talent view, you could make a case for 4 or 5 guys to all be just about even at the top. In that sense, if the other teams go pitching it could happen, I just wouldn't lose any sleep waiting for it.

He'd be at least a season and a half from the majors from when he starts playing (he won't sign quickly), by then I think Reynolds is looking at FA, so it's probably a moot point, and even then it depends on if we upgrade 1B between now and then.

Is this more of a knock on Reynolds, or props for Rendon?

I think it's a little bit of the former and a lot of the latter. Reynolds is averageish at third, maybe slightly below average (though much better than the Bell/Wigginton/Tejada display from last year), while Rendon is potentially a Longoria/Zimmerman type glove at third.

I think it's a little bit of the former and a lot of the latter. Reynolds is averageish at third, maybe slightly below average (though much better than the Bell/Wigginton/Tejada display from last year), while Rendon is potentially a Longoria/Zimmerman type glove at third.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Is Rendon really GG caliber though or is that part of the "hype machine"? I was under the assumption he was more solid average to slightly above.....

Zimm and Longoria are elite defenders at the hot corner, pretty lofty comparison to me........

Is Rendon really GG caliber though or is that part of the "hype machine"? I was under the assumption he was more solid average to slightly above.....

Zimm and Longoria are elite defenders at the hot corner, pretty lofty comparison to me........

I don't think Longo is really "elite" but I think he's very good. It's kinda where I see Rendon getting. Really good first step, quick. Good positioning and a solid glove. I think he gets better in the pros, but I think of him as at least good right now, leaning towards very good. Limited exposure to him, but I liked what I saw.

Defense is a growth area in general, and he's one of the better collegiate defenders out there at the hot corner. I think he absolutely has upside as a 60 defender.

Defense is a growth area in general, and he's one of the better collegiate defenders out there at the hot corner. I think he absolutely has upside as a 60 defender.

That's pretty lofty praise. I'll try to report my best how the ankle seems to be holding up when the season starts.

This might be a little off topic, but do you know if we have any other highly rated prospects on the Rice roster this season? I'll be at every home game (with any luck), so I'd like to know who to look for. :boogie:

That's pretty lofty praise. I'll try to report my best how the ankle seems to be holding up when the season starts.

This might be a little off topic, but do you know if we have any other highly rated prospects on the Rice roster this season? I'll be at every home game (with any luck), so I'd like to know who to look for. :boogie:

Man, if Taillon would have not signed with the Bucs, you'd be in for a treat this year....

Man, if Taillon would have not signed with the Bucs, you'd be in for a treat this year....

He was supposed to be in my Residential College, 2 floors directly below me. One of my friends got a single room because he signed right before Orientation. :eek:

Archived