A lot of our MiL catchers are hitting well

Frobby

Norfolk: Audry Perez (27) is hitting .340/.396/.450.

Bowie: Chance Sisco (21) is hitting .309/.405/.374

Frederick: Jonah Heim (21) is hitting .242/.350/.433

Delmarva: Yermin Mercedes (23) is hitting .344/.380/.450; Alex Murphy (21) is hitting .276/.350/.429

Also, Sawyer (24) is hitting .316/.491/.487 for Frederick as a DH/1B, but he had principally been a catcher before this year.

Some defensive numbers:

Perez: 25 GS, 20 SB, 3 CS, 3 PB, 2 E

Sisco: 30 GS, 32 SB, 19 CS, 2 PB, 3 E

Heim: 31 GS, 32 SB, 19 CS, 6 PB, 7 E

Mercedes: 27 GS, 33 SB, 14 CS, 12 PB, 2 E

Murphy: 17 GS, 22 SB, 11 CS, 6 PB, 4 E

You always hear good stuff about Heim, but his CS% is identical to Sisco's, and he has quite a few passed balls and errors. Of course, these numbers don't tell you about handling pitchers, framing pitches and that sort of thing.

Some defensive numbers:

Perez: 25 GS, 20 SB, 3 CS, 3 PB, 2 E

Sisco: 30 GS, 32 SB, 19 CS, 2 PB, 3 E

Heim: 31 GS, 32 SB, 19 CS, 6 PB, 7 E

Mercedes: 27 GS, 33 SB, 14 CS, 12 PB, 2 E

Murphy: 17 GS, 22 SB, 11 CS, 6 PB, 4 E

You always hear good stuff about Heim, but his CS% is identical to Sisco's, and he has quite a few passed balls and errors. Of course, these numbers don't tell you about handling pitchers, framing pitches and that sort of thing.

Sisco has the best overall numbers of the bunch. I think that has to be encouraging. I have no idea how he is with framing and calling a game, but those things can certainly be improved.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone noticed that almost every catcher in the system is having a good season.

Yes, I noticed:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/153181-A-lot-of-our-MiL-catchers-are-hitting-well?highlight=catchers

Of course, there doesn't seem to be any reason that developing the hitting of catchers would be a particular skill set. But it's nice that we have these guys in the system.

I'd even add that we traded Clevenger for Trumbo to this theory. The guy O'brien that we got in the LAD Ryan Webb deal looks like he can take a BB and hit for power. Just got hurt last year shortly after the trade.

4 of those guys we're all picked in the top 10 a few years ago when DD wanted to build our catching depth in the system. Looks like we've done that.

• 3 weeks later...
Chance finally showing some power yesterday with a homer and triple. Gotta remember he's just 21, so hopefully decent power is just a matter of time for him.

They say its the last tool to come for most prospects. In any event, I'll take a catcher with an .806 OPS any day.

Archived